The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Yamaha HS50m vs. Event Precision 6
Old 25th June 2009
Gear Nut
Yamaha HS50m vs. Event Precision 6

Does anyone have experience with these monitors. I've used the HS80m for years and am now considering smaller monitors. I've heard that the HS50m's and the Precision6's translate very well. Any suggestions?
Old 25th June 2009
Gear Maniac

I love my Event ASP6's. I've only owned a few sets of monitors, but these do seem to translate extremely well for me. The other big selling point for the ASP6's is that they aren't too harsh. My ears tire very quickly, and I can use the Event's for hours without problems.

My opinion in listening tests were that the Yamaha's seemed much more fatiguing and less neutral sounding, but I've never owned a set.

Also, I don't know if anyone sells the Event's anymore -- so they might be hard to find.
Old 25th June 2009
Lives for gear

Love my hs50M's... wonderful monitors - the only better option, imho, is the hs80M... which you have. You gotta be in $1000+ to get better, to my ears. For under $400 I got what I consider very VERY good monitors. Highly recommended.

-Matt
Old 25th June 2009
Lives for gear

I would personally only recommend HS50m's as a second set of speakers to your main speakers but not as main speakers. That said I love my HS50m's which compliment my Adam A7's.
Old 25th June 2009
I like the HS50 more than the HS80, never tried those Event speakers.
Old 26th June 2009
Gear Maniac

I have the HS50's and the Event TR6's. I know the TR6's arent the same animal at all as the ASP6's, but for what its worth I like the TR6's and find that both speakers paint very different but valid pictures of the mix. I find myslef going through the TR6's a bit more,since the HS50's don't have a lot of bass extension. That said, I trust the HS50's in an NS10 sort of way. Mixes that balance on the HS50's tend to translate well, but I do need to find tune the bass response on something a bit bigger or in conjunction with a sub. I know that not everyone likes the TR6's, but for me the seem pretty neutral and unintrusive.
Old 26th June 2009
Lives for gear

can't comment on either sets of monitors, but was wondering how your room is treated?
a good room is by far more important than what speakers you stick in it.

rich
Old 27th June 2009
Gear Head

I know that mixes on the HS80m's translate very well to the HS50m's. I mix on the 80's and the studio I work for tracks on the 50's. They sound extremely similar, minus the bass extension on the 50's. I really like the 80's. Very honest monitors IMO and good detail. They tend to make me work harder to really smooth the top end. I think you'd find the move to the 50's to be free of any unpleasant surprises but you might miss the bottom.
Old 28th June 2009
Gear Nut
I am essentially mixing in a large closet. The only sort of treatment that I have are a couple of knock off Auralex foam pads. Without moving this topic into another direction, what would I need to do so properly treat this space?
Old 28th June 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by socool135 View Post
I am essentially mixing in a large closet. The only sort of treatment that I have are a couple of knock off Auralex foam pads. Without moving this topic into another direction, what would I need to do so properly treat this space?
First of all, get out of that closet! I suggest you treat your main room and sing in there instead.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search