The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
The OFFICIAL cheap SDC thread!!!
Old 24th June 2009
Here for the gear

Post The OFFICIAL cheap SDC thread!!!

So, I have been lurking GS for a while. Its been a big help. I have learned a lot and I would say I am not a noob anymore.. Not an expert but not a noob.This is my first post. Go ahead, make fun of me.. After all, I am a dork.

Anyways, I usually have a hard time finding all my answers in one thread so I am going to try to keep my posts organized.

I am looking for a new pair of super cheap BUT USEFUL SDCs (because who wants cheap mics that suck?)

For example, something like the Karma Audio K10s, that I haven't heard of..

Something below the radar like Naiant.. The newest ****! the most obscure! And all the stuff above it.

Come on ppl, lets make a kick ass list of mics here that all the uninformed low end slutz (like I once was) can benefit from.

After all, why spend more money if the is a WAY cheaper alternitive?tutt
Old 24th June 2009
Lives for gear

you want cheap ??..lol..here ya go.
1...ok..try this ..
digikey.com wma mic capsule 3 or 4 buks.
or look for the tape op article on google how to build a cheap mic for a few buks.
heres more cheapness..runs off a battery.
2...use a cassette dek mic pre.
you would be surprised with a decent dynamic mic n the right cassette dek.
search on gs for examples i posted rapping called mumrap.mp3.
3. for recording guitar traks use an old set of crap headphones or a
junky old speaker as a mic with quarter inch jack attached.
plug into cassette dek mic in. youll be surprised how good it sounds with
a little conditioning. if you listen to the dragon song on my site one of the guitar traks used
a speaker as a mic if i remember. for laughs. song came about cos i was showing someone how to record with no money for gear.

fyi noones yet taken me up on gs with a challenge i always throw out.
viz..record a great singer thru a good dynamic mic into a decent cassette dek mic pre
and compare same great singer into a very nice pre n see if the man in the street notices a difference..lol.
Old 24th June 2009
Gear Addict

There are these little Rat Shack mics from the 80's and 90's. They look like a shorter SM-81 and no phantom, the barrel unscrews and they take an AA battery and have a little switch in there; V/M, the V being vocal with a high pass and the M being music with flat low end response. They were made by I believe Sony for Rat Shack and sold for $49.00 but were always on sale for $39.00. I've got several and to this day they sound really good.
Old 24th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by knittingram View Post
So, I have been lurking GS for a while. Its been a big help. I have learned a lot and I would say I am not a noob anymore.. Not an expert but not a noob.This is my first post. Go ahead, make fun of me.. After all, I am a dork.
WOW look at this big freaking DORK!!!!
Old 25th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by manning1 View Post
you want cheap ??..lol..here ya go.
1...ok..try this ..
digikey.com wma mic capsule 3 or 4 buks.
or look for the tape op article on google how to build a cheap mic for a few buks.
heres more cheapness..runs off a battery.
I made a pair of those back in the day and they were pretty good for what they were.
Old 26th June 2009
Gear Nut

Anybody try those Cad low-profile SDCs Musician's friend was selling for $60/pair?
Old 26th June 2009
Gear Maniac

mxl604.
Old 26th June 2009
Michael Joly has been pimping the Nady CM90 as being the same thing as the MXL 603 more or less. And it's even cheaper. Plus you could always have MJ mod it for you later for a considerable upgrade, according to many on this board.

MF has them for $45:
Buy Nady CM 90 Cardioid Condenser Mic | Condenser Microphones | Musician's Friend
Old 27th June 2009
Gear Maniac

I rarely hear about AT Pro37's. I've used them for stereo overheads, Acoustic and Electric guitars, and I'm almost always happy with them. I bought one used for $30, and another used for $65.
CHEAP, and they sound great...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search