The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
the apogee one...
Old 1st May 2010
Gear Maniac

this guy is a DB, a big DB

Quote:
Originally Posted by psykostx View Post
Mac sucks, they got one good deal on a batch of microchips in the late 90's and they think they can go on defying industry standards for 10 years ... shame on them.

Who cares what apogee is doing, their stuff sucks as much as ProTools.fuuck

Love these smileys!

hmmm.. you probably dont disserve my attention. but I'm curiouse. what, in your eyes, is bad about mac, and apogge?

cuz while im here counting all the money ive made using said manufacturers products i wonder how some people justify talking about the companies that help shape our industry. music is a passion, a love, a talent. the tools you use to make it are completely subjective to you.

go elsewhere with your dickary
Old 1st May 2010
Gear Maniac

Question why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sascha Franck View Post
Let's face it, apart from the high end converters (and probably also preamps), both the Duo and the One are jokes. And it's not exactly that those high end converters would cost them an arm and a leg in terms of production costs.
Featurewise, both of them are absolutely laughable by any means.

- Sascha
why?
Old 3rd May 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskool978 View Post
why?
Well, the Duet is limited feature-wise. BUT, it sounds damn good.

If it meets all of your needs, it's probably the best (sonically) in that price range.
Old 4th May 2010
Gear Maniac

Maybe someone will make a breakout box for The One similar to the one made for the Duet. Is it even possible to Balance the outputs for The One like they did with that breakout box for the Duet ?
Old 4th May 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Exile View Post
Is it even possible to Balance the outputs for The One like they did with that breakout box for the Duet ?
The Duet doesn't have balanced outputs.
Old 4th May 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessy View Post
The Duet doesn't have balanced outputs.
Apogee Duet Breakout Box *Balanced* - eBay (item 220598981056 end time May-07-10 04:08:38 PDT)

that thing is what I was talking about... Somebody needs to design something similar for the Apogee One.
Old 4th May 2010
here's a little song i recorded with the one sitting on my bed, well except when i got up to record the synth part with my little phatty

only thing that didn't go through the one are the drums, i used the built-in mic for the guitars, vocals and the little drum stick part

SARAnating.mp3 - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage
Old 22nd May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alehoe View Post
here's a little song i recorded with the one sitting on my bed, well except when i got up to record the synth part with my little phatty

only thing that didn't go through the one are the drums, i used the built-in mic for the guitars, vocals and the little drum stick part

Thanks for sharing! The quality really shows through on the converters.
I just ordered One this morning and I can't wait to get it. Mine was a marked down
unit that was returned in brand new condition. I saved some cash and had enough left over
to order the mic boom clip direct from Apogee.

BTW I really think they should package the mic clip with the interface even if it raised the price up another $20.
Most people will need to buy it anyway.
Old 22nd May 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by alehoe View Post

Hey man, I just had to say - that song is catchy and I like your style. Very cool. Very cool. I appreciate "feel good" music, and I appreciate those that can do it simply. Kudos on the song and the production. I'm sure you tinkered with it for a while even after you made the mp3, lol. If you're anything like myself. =)
Old 28th May 2010
Lives for gear

I just bought a One for $219 like new as an item someone returned.
I've yet to record anything with it but it sounds good through my headphones.
It really looks classy and matches well with my black Macbook.

I had to buy the mic clip direct from Apogee and I'm hoping it shows up before
the holiday weekend so I can set it up properly to record some tracks.
i'm gonna really love having this on the go with me when I'm listening to itunes
or watching DVD's on my Macbook.

I'll have some clips to post soon.
Old 28th May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKyflash34 View Post
Thanks for sharing! The quality really shows through on the converters.
I just ordered One this morning and I can't wait to get it. Mine was a marked down
unit that was returned in brand new condition. I saved some cash and had enough left over
to order the mic boom clip direct from Apogee.

BTW I really think they should package the mic clip with the interface even if it raised the price up another $20.
Most people will need to buy it anyway.
no problem! and you're right about the clip, i actually think i'd be pretty fair to include it with the one already or at least have a $299 version with the clip and the carrying bag.

i'll probably get the clip or the table stand eventually just because this thing i so simple and easy to use!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndrock View Post
Hey man, I just had to say - that song is catchy and I like your style. Very cool. Very cool. I appreciate "feel good" music, and I appreciate those that can do it simply. Kudos on the song and the production. I'm sure you tinkered with it for a while even after you made the mp3, lol. If you're anything like myself. =)
hey thanks! i actually haven't touched it since i that last bounce

it was just a little quick joke song for a friend, i just though it sounded surprisingly good for the little built-in mic!
Old 29th May 2010
Lives for gear

I'm thinking the Apogee One and an Akai LPK would be a cool little travel setup. Think it's kind of pointless to use the built in mic though, just plug in a 57, chances are it will be dramatically better. Not sure why people are getting so hung up on its quality, its supposed to be a bonus.
Old 30th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKyflash34 View Post
I just bought a One for $219 like new as an item someone returned.
I've yet to record anything with it but it sounds good through my headphones.
It really looks classy and matches well with my black Macbook.

I had to buy the mic clip direct from Apogee and I'm hoping it shows up before
the holiday weekend so I can set it up properly to record some tracks.
i'm gonna really love having this on the go with me when I'm listening to itunes
or watching DVD's on my Macbook.

I'll have some clips to post soon.
*update*

I finally got around to set up and record and found the internal mic is dead.
Checked all the settings in Maestro and in Logic and no go. Went through
all trouble shooting and it's dead. I called and I am exchanging for a new
One and paying the difference. I should have just spent the extra $29 in the
first place. Lesson learned. So much for saving a few bucks buying used.
Old 7th August 2010
Gear Maniac

i´ve actually a steinberg mr816 "running" with hackintosh. the problem is, i´ve dropouts and clock problems every 30 seconds and sometimes it doesn´t even play audio back for a while...after replacing my firewire card to ti chipset the problem was still there. also there is a very low white noise in the background as soon as i connect the mr816 to firewire and it gets recognized by the computer. i´ve worked and read several hours to fix the problem but now i´m fed up and need a new soundcard...i´m leaning towards the duet or one. i´ve read the whole thread. i need the following information:

how can plug a "one" into my adam p22a, which cable do i need exactly and will it be the right option as the one has only this mini jack output...i know nothing about cables, sorry folks..

would the duet be an better option regarding the soundquality from soundcard to adam p22a (connections, cables etc..)? i´m so fed up with setting up my music computer, i just want something that runs now...
Old 7th August 2010
OMU
Lives for gear

The Duet sounds noticeably better then the One.
Old 11th October 2010
my one keeps crapping out on me

recording with it is a pain is almost impossible with it turning off every time someone touches it or just randomly

I can't record with the built-in mic anymore unless it's set on the table and no one is touching it

it also keep causing my Macbook Pro to crash, sometimes even twice a day

I'm gonna have to send it to apogee and go without my only on-the-go recording device for a couple of weeks, hooray

EDIT: it ended up just being the USB cable, only problems I've had since then have been caused by the abuse I've put the poor thing through

one of the lights doesn't even turn on anymore, I've actually been considering selling mine for whatever I can get for it getting a new one, or perhaps Apogee would be willing to fix mine for a decent price
Old 21st June 2011
Lives for gear

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmicide View Post
actually, it is perfect for me and my portable needs. duet was great, but i needed more i/o. the one is tiny, has a good built-in mic, single channel, great quality. now im selling the duet to get an mr816x or a ff400.

im not sure what you mean

the headphone output is in the front

line output is on the breakout cable which can be set to regular output with volume control or -10dBv amp output
OK, I'm ready to jump into the AppOne (Copyrights reserve on the name*) bandwagon, but I either missed something or no one addressed using this with multiple interfaces. Ohm, I have the MR816x, but as you know, you can only use one interface at a time unless...
1. You use a laptop/separate computer when recording since you can't use both at one time on one computer.

So, as I'm writing this I'm envisioning using the AppOne* w/MacbookPro driving the AppOne* settings, output from the 1/8 jack to RCA w/1/4 adapters into my patchbay. I actually did this with my MiniMe (which had the 1/8 output) as a primary interface when NOT using the MR816x.

I've solved my problem that fast, and will purchase from American Musical Supply 3 payment plan, 45 day return policy...just in case I don't like it.
Which on of my mics will this replace? Sputnik, C414b XLS, Blueberry, or SM7B, AT3035 or will it be a compliment?

I don't like having to link up with the MBP to make this work, Would be even sweeter if you could use it with an iPOD touch, instead or a iPAD for a smaller footprint. I saw the adapter for the iPAD2 (USB thingy) using garageband. Another question...can an iPOD touch run garageband? LOL.

ADHD Replies only. 1
Old 21st June 2011
Lives for gear

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishy-washy View Post
well, as far as I am concerned, I think they've done an amazing job, it's cheap, light, tiny, stable, the dac doesn't sound harsh, its preamp isn't a toy (btw for those wondering, input impedance is 8K ohms), the di input works perfectly with line level signals (tested with a jx3p) and has more than enough gain for the quietest synth, and finally the internal mic can be useful (depending on the source and your ability to find the right position...) !
I understand the frustration of having to choose between monitor and headphones, but I haven't noticed any signal degradation, nor any noise, thru my genelec 8030's connected with a trs minijack->dual xlr cable ! happy customer, really !
If you liked the MINIME, which I had, recently sold it to finance home improvements..... I'm gonna use it the same way. Most people posting here doesn't sound like they're using patchbays. I patched my MiniMe using the 1/8 out jack converted to 1/4 using adapters....sounding nice. Get a patchbay and make life easier.
Old 22nd June 2011
Gear Nut

I just received an apogee one which I intend using with my iPad 2....I've just discovered that I need a Mac to change inputs however.....this could prove expensive......
Old 23rd June 2011
Lives for gear

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandaddy View Post
I just received an apogee one which I intend using with my iPad 2....I've just discovered that I need a Mac to change inputs however.....this could prove expensive......
I don't think so. After researching this One, it looks like you press the knob to go through the inputs, and adjust the output/input level. Ill have mine today and will know for sure. Been looking at all of the YOUTUBE info. You may need MAESTRO for the drivers, that may be the problem. I did see these guys using it with an iPAD 2 using Garageband or something, Ill try and get the link for you. I remember it being under Gospel Musicians on YouTube. I was thinking the same thing.
Old 23rd June 2011
Lives for gear

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by theproduca View Post
I don't think so. After researching this One, it looks like you press the knob to go through the inputs, and adjust the output/input level. Ill have mine today and will know for sure. Been looking at all of the YOUTUBE info. You may need MAESTRO for the drivers, that may be the problem. I did see these guys using it with an iPAD 2 using Garageband or something, Ill try and get the link for you. I remember it being under Gospel Musicians on YouTube. I was thinking the same thing.
Here is the link for iPAD and AppOne:
YouTube - ‪iPad 2 Connected through MIDI & Apogee One:: Live Backing Tracks GarageBand‬‏

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMRTvU17dMI
Old 23rd June 2011
Gear Nut

Just tried and it appears you do need a Mac to change input....pushing the button toggles between input and output so you can set the levels

It's working well with the external mic input at the moment
Old 24th June 2011
Lives for gear

Cool

Well, I finally received the ONE and so far it's NOT the one. I didn't like the mic compared to my other mics as with the AKG C414b XLS. Not even close. I tried it as a room mic for the drums and it was ok. I think it's ok for those who have just the simple laptop system. I was hoping it would at least rival my SM7B so I could keep it.

I then attempted to just use it as I would my other mics, running it through a mic pre, then A/D. Couln't adjust the levels without hum, or volume just too low. The 1/8 output does this unit no good in a PRO setting. I considered purchasing a Aphex 124a, or a Ebtech LLSXLR to boost the signal to +4, but that wouldn't help the mic app on the unit, as it had enough noise already running to my Shadow Hills MONO.

I then ran it through a mixer with RCA inputs i.e, the Mackie and others, and still though I retained more control volume wise and EQ, I felt it would just smear the Apogee process. I'm gonna test it for a comparison between the output of the MBP vs the Apogee. I really don't need this unless I'm working elsewhere, but I wouldn't work any place that didn't have good converters like Apogee, RME etc. I don't need it in the studio either, so I have a feeling that it's going back to the store.

After all the hype I read, it seems now that there was MORE processing after the process regarding the demos and such. For $249, I could only justify keeping it for the mic only. Maybe Ill try it using the A/D using one of my mics. Only problem with that is, I have a dedicated A/D in the interface as well as a RME I use for frontend. I would have to set everything to CTRL L/R to record and hear the tracks, then switch back to the primary interface to continue recording.

Can someone convince me to keep this without spending MORE money to make it work for me. $75 or more for the -10/-+4 conversion, then my USB cable is too short, and the 1/8" RCA jacks converting to TS for my patchbay, then getting the level right with the Maestro...PAIN, I just don't see it. I just purchased a Wireless Audio Technica that sounded better!! Totally disappointed, guess because I have better ears now.
Old 24th June 2011
Lives for gear

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Exile View Post
Maybe someone will make a breakout box for The One similar to the one made for the Duet. Is it even possible to Balance the outputs for The One like they did with that breakout box for the Duet ?
With an Aphex 124a. RCA-XLR, nice. Found a couple CHEAP on the evilbay. but that another cost. The 1/8 output just isn't as strong as when I was using the MiniMe.....or it could be me. Trying to find a reason to keep it.
Old 26th July 2011
Gear Nut

Just got the One, and Happy with it. I already have a Mackie Blackbird and an Apogee Mini Dac, and a UAD Satellite which i have to daisy chain through fire wire(Macbook pro one firewire port) but this has its purpose which is the inbuilt Mic, which makes capturing ideas from artist quick, i tend to work with Rap artist and need to capture at any moment in time...Just need to get a long usb cable now
Old 26th July 2011
Lives for gear

Cool

I guess if you using it for a quick ref, then it's too expensive in my opinion. I could get a good reference on my MBPro, especially since it's in play either way. I have a few above average mics, and wanted the ONE to rival those. Secondly the A/D conversion is not useful for ME because the output is 1/8 output. I'm not interested in the USB conversion for my applications. Before I sent it back, I received my Aphex 124.....-10/+4 converter that would have made a difference being I could have used the mic through any of my mic pres available using the XLR(+4) output, OR used it as a A/D converter outside of the USB attached. I've had the MiniME, PSX100 SE, Rosetta etc. Unless I get a cache of cash again, I probably would wait a while and buy one USED. Good Luck. Raj @RocDaHouse Studios
Old 26th July 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by theproduca View Post
I guess if you using it for a quick ref, then it's too expensive in my opinion. I could get a good reference on my MBPro, especially since it's in play either way. I have a few above average mics, and wanted the ONE to rival those. Secondly the A/D conversion is not useful for ME because the output is 1/8 output. I'm not interested in the USB conversion for my applications. Before I sent it back, I received my Aphex 124.....-10/+4 converter that would have made a difference being I could have used the mic through any of my mic pres available using the XLR(+4) output, OR used it as a A/D converter outside of the USB attached. I've had the MiniME, PSX100 SE, Rosetta etc. Unless I get a cache of cash again, I probably would wait a while and buy one USED. Good Luck. Raj @RocDaHouse Studios
Yes your right its too expensive just quick ref, i just got lucky and got one for nothing , with the Duet 2 out these should be dead cheap now
Old 11th September 2011
Here for the gear

Newbie here, so go easy...

I've done some event recording and a little broadcast here and there, but most of it was done using crap, since that's all we could afford... Mackie 1202, MXL 990 mics, and Spark XL or CoolEdit (Audition) depending on which computer I had with me. (Been a while since I've done much, can you tell?)

Anyway, I picked up the Apogee One to go with my MacBook Air, mostly for the sake of the output. Needless to say, the sound quality is night-and-day better than the built-in output. Not even close. I'm listening to it through my Sennheiser HD280 Pro headphones.

Now, given that I've been working with less-than-top-of-the-line gear all this time, and who knows if I've got a good ear, but is the thing supposed to sound like that? The bass and midrange sound gorgeous, full, and rich with life, but somehow the high end, especially crisp and clean vocals, tend to get lost and sound like they're more buried in the other sounds. May be bad mix jobs on half the songs I've got, but I doubt it. Since I'm not that experienced with high-end gear (I know the One isn't, but it's closer than anything else I've got) I'm inclined to agree with the Apogee as the truth, but I do tend to like the high end of the spectrum to be a little more clear and piercing.

Nothing a little EQ can't fix, but am I robbing myself of the true nature of the sound by EQ'ing up the high end a bit? Does anyone else who owns an Apogee One notice this, or is there something else lacking in my computer, headphones, or ear?

Many thanks in advance!!
Old 11th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by korperlich View Post
Newbie here, so go easy...

I've done some event recording and a little broadcast here and there, but most of it was done using crap, since that's all we could afford... Mackie 1202, MXL 990 mics, and Spark XL or CoolEdit (Audition) depending on which computer I had with me. (Been a while since I've done much, can you tell?)

Anyway, I picked up the Apogee One to go with my MacBook Air, mostly for the sake of the output. Needless to say, the sound quality is night-and-day better than the built-in output. Not even close. I'm listening to it through my Sennheiser HD280 Pro headphones.

Now, given that I've been working with less-than-top-of-the-line gear all this time, and who knows if I've got a good ear, but is the thing supposed to sound like that? The bass and midrange sound gorgeous, full, and rich with life, but somehow the high end, especially crisp and clean vocals, tend to get lost and sound like they're more buried in the other sounds. May be bad mix jobs on half the songs I've got, but I doubt it. Since I'm not that experienced with high-end gear (I know the One isn't, but it's closer than anything else I've got) I'm inclined to agree with the Apogee as the truth, but I do tend to like the high end of the spectrum to be a little more clear and piercing.

Nothing a little EQ can't fix, but am I robbing myself of the true nature of the sound by EQ'ing up the high end a bit? Does anyone else who owns an Apogee One notice this, or is there something else lacking in my computer, headphones, or ear?

Many thanks in advance!!
I am VERY HAPPY with my ONE, for the improvement it makes to my LAPTOP which sounds cruddy and cankerous. It does have a "crisper" sounding top end, but with lower output levels, its not as abrasive. While it distorts easily, with mixes above -6 DBFS and there is another world of detail to be heard with the same material through my Symphony and Rosetta, this little thing is ABSOLUTELY useable for a pro, doing his/her pro thing, to get the slight edge of quality on the run, or in small setup.

You gotta have something like the ONE around, as its a useful product to my ears, and while it might not be "the truth" [nothing is the truth really], I have found the audio output to drive me to make things sound better on comercial systems, when you mix with this thing and move your high end around to your liking, it actually sounds good on other playback systems [better or worse than the ONE]...
Old 6th November 2014
Here for the gear
Hello everybody... first post of mine incoming

I am going through replacing some of my equipment now, also have an RME FF400 around.

Since I´m really only one guy with a Mic and a Keyboard, this thing (the One) is a godsend in terms of minimalism, and on Thomann Germany, it was available for under 150€ refurbished.

I also had the first Duet before and was really blown away by the quality of the Inputs, the only reason I sold it was that I really didn´t like the outputs at all on my Adams - the FF400 came to replace it.

That said, I only have the One for a couple of days now, and since I´m not at home could only really test the outputs.
I didn´t intend to use them at all, but damn do I like them!
Can´t wait to test the inputs, really...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search