the apogee one...
Old 12th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Love View Post
Taylor Fingerpicked 44.1/16

I have to say I'm liking it...
Hi,

Did you connect your M930 straight into the One for this recording?
Old 15th January 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by djanogil View Post
Hi,

Did you connect your M930 straight into the One for this recording?
Sorry for the delay in the reply: yes; straight into the Apogee one pre... nothing else.
Old 15th January 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danner View Post
Beautiful, very impressive sound!
Thanks mate. The One is quite surprising. It took only 30-40 seconds to find a pleasing placement for the mike!
Old 28th January 2010
Gear Maniac

My One is coming, via UPS, tomorrow (God willing). I had to sell off most of my personal equipment a while back for film school money (go ahead and chuckle), but am able to re-buy some gear now, for a home rig. This fits my needs perfectly. I like to write and record music to score my short films with. It's perfect.

I will be pairing the One with Logic Express on a year and half old MBP, w 4gb ram yadda yadda. I'm hoping I can find a way to run it through my tube amp. I think a few of you said it was possible, through maestro. Maybe this will cut down on my pedalgeek.com purchases for a while. Haa!

Big question is: Should I run the output of the One, straight into my tube amplifier's power amp section, or into the preamp input? It's a Peavey Classic 30, with a loop (pre out/power amp in). Just asking. No big whoop. I'll experiment with it regardless.

Don't really know enough about how tubes interact with each other, as to whether or not I'd want the preamp tubes to be driving the poweramp section, or if i'm going to want the amplifier sims in logic to simulate that part of the equation. Bleh. Wouldn't that make my poweramp section just run full-on, wide open? ...or is that happening all the time anyway? ..I think I'm answering my own questions as I progress here. Interesting. hmm.

Thanks guys!
Old 28th January 2010
OMU
Lives for gear

Is there any possibility to run this under bootcamp if you have a windows system installed?
Old 30th January 2010
Gear Nut

Replacing a Field Recorder??

Hey folks,

Forgive me if this question is absolutely basic. I happen to be...absolutely basic.

I own a Sony PCM-D50 field recorder. I use it tons, partly because it's so damned simple to operate. Whip out the guitar, pull out the PCM, turn it on and go.

Would the Apogee ONE serve a function similar to my field recorder? For my purposes (easy, quick recording), are the only differences 1) quality of the condenser mics (the PCM-D50 is probably better), and 2) the need to lug a laptop around with me to use the ONE?

Just wondering if my PCM-D50 dove-tails sufficiently with the One to sell the former first.
Old 31st January 2010
im thinking about selling my duet and picking up a one along with a 4 in 4 out interface

gotta think about it throughly...
Old 2nd February 2010
anselmoso
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMU View Post
Is there any possibility to run this under bootcamp if you have a windows system installed?
not bootcamp, but it works with Parallels and Virtualbox (windows installed in a VM), although you'll have noticable latency. Only usable for mixing.
The ONE works completely with Linux by the way (automatically installed with Ubuntu 9.10 for example).
Old 2nd February 2010
Here for the gear

I'm currently using the ONE under Ubuntu Karmic with the rt kernel and getting great latencies. I also have Karmic installed on a pen drive so I can take it with me wherever I go and use any available computer for recording. Really useful!
Old 5th February 2010
Here for the gear
Does anyone use One with usb midikeyboard?I have white macbook( 2.4. ghz 2 gig ram)which has two usb slots and I am hoping that it will be possible to hook a midikeys to an another slot.I would not record audio and midi at the same time.

Many thanks in advance

Mkane
Old 5th February 2010
OMU
Lives for gear

I do that all the time, and still have usb dongles and even a harddisk from time to time. Works flawlessly.
Old 5th February 2010
Here for the gear
Thanks Omu.
These are very good news indeed.

Mkane
Old 5th February 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by anselmoso View Post
not bootcamp, but it works with Parallels and Virtualbox (windows installed in a VM), although you'll have noticable latency. Only usable for mixing.
The ONE works completely with Linux by the way (automatically installed with Ubuntu 9.10 for example).
now THIS is interesting....I'm getting a Metric Halo UL2 and it is Mac only currently but I have a boot camped Macbook Pro and would LOVE to use it on both Mac and PC side even if its just for monitoring.

Is there a tutorial around on how i would go about doing this?? Please help!
Old 5th February 2010
Lives for gear

We don't have native drivers for Windows, so you will not be able to use the ULN-2 when booted in Windows under bootcamp.

But if you use Parallels or Fusion, you can use the MIO as the audio I/O device for Windows.

Instructions are here:

http://www.mhsecure.com/technotes/TechNote_0002.php
Old 6th February 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh_bj View Post
We don't have native drivers for Windows, so you will not be able to use the ULN-2 when booted in Windows under bootcamp.

But if you use Parallels or Fusion, you can use the MIO as the audio I/O device for Windows.

Instructions are here:

http://www.mhsecure.com/technotes/TechNote_0002.php
Sorry to sound like a dummy, but does this mean that I can use my UL2 as my soundcard in Nuendo on the XP Virtual Machine, and RECORD and MONITOR the results like I would if Metric Halo really did make a Windows Driver??

<says quiet prayer>

Old 6th February 2010
Lives for gear

Not exactly, but kind-of. As far as I know it works for stereo in and stereo out (I know it works for out, and I am pretty sure that it works for in). You need to use the WDM drivers in windows (it looks like built-in audio in the virtual machine). So not quite the same as having native drivers, but it provides basic functionality.
Old 6th February 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh_bj View Post
Not exactly, but kind-of. As far as I know it works for stereo in and stereo out (I know it works for out, and I am pretty sure that it works for in). You need to use the WDM drivers in windows (it looks like built-in audio in the virtual machine). So not quite the same as having native drivers, but it provides basic functionality.
OK thank you for that.

Is it true that you will be releasing real Windows drivers at some point or is it dubious? Is there some time frame that one can cling to? I hope so, the world needs a good dose of MH love!
Old 10th February 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndrock View Post
My One is coming, via UPS, tomorrow (God willing). I had to sell off most of my personal equipment a while back for film school money (go ahead and chuckle), but am able to re-buy some gear now, for a home rig. This fits my needs perfectly. I like to write and record music to score my short films with. It's perfect.

I will be pairing the One with Logic Express on a year and half old MBP, w 4gb ram yadda yadda. I'm hoping I can find a way to run it through my tube amp. I think a few of you said it was possible, through maestro. Maybe this will cut down on my pedalgeek.com purchases for a while. Haa!

Big question is: Should I run the output of the One, straight into my tube amplifier's power amp section, or into the preamp input? It's a Peavey Classic 30, with a loop (pre out/power amp in). Just asking. No big whoop. I'll experiment with it regardless.

Don't really know enough about how tubes interact with each other, as to whether or not I'd want the preamp tubes to be driving the poweramp section, or if i'm going to want the amplifier sims in logic to simulate that part of the equation. Bleh. Wouldn't that make my poweramp section just run full-on, wide open? ...or is that happening all the time anyway? ..I think I'm answering my own questions as I progress here. Interesting. hmm.

Thanks guys!
Hi. As a former user of Logic Express 8 and now Logic Pro 9, I would keep the Peavey Classic 30 out of the loop. The amp simulators in Logic 8 are pretty nice, and even better in Logic 9. If you wanted to record your Peavey Classic 30, then just use the built in Mic on the Apogee one and record the speaker to get some different flavor (ie recording some actual air from speaker).

I have the Duet and ordered a One for my laptop as a backup for travel. The only bite is that you do not have dedicated outputs for monitors with the One, it is either headphones or an adapter cable out the headphone jack to drive monitors.

I am old school and it took me long time to finally switch over to all amp sim software instead. ( they have finally gotten good enough). You can also try Native Instrument Guitar Rig LE, if you are on a budget. I recall them a big step up from Logic Express 8. Not sure about Logic Express 9 amp sims, but the ones in the Logic Pro Studio are great. Plus you have Main Stage for playing live. I think the upgrade from Express 8 to full Logic Studio 9 was only $299. You do get a lot for the upgrade.

As for your MacBook Pro with 4 gig ram, you are fine. I assume you are running Leopard and not Snow Leopard. I run Logic 9 on 2 systems, one with Leopard and one with Snow Leopard just fine.

Get yourself a Glyph Porta Drive when you can. (if you don't already have one) The cost a little extra, but the Glyph drives are great and the company is terrific.

Good luck.

Johnny
Old 10th February 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman90 View Post
Hey folks,

Forgive me if this question is absolutely basic. I happen to be...absolutely basic.

I own a Sony PCM-D50 field recorder. I use it tons, partly because it's so damned simple to operate. Whip out the guitar, pull out the PCM, turn it on and go.

Would the Apogee ONE serve a function similar to my field recorder? For my purposes (easy, quick recording), are the only differences 1) quality of the condenser mics (the PCM-D50 is probably better), and 2) the need to lug a laptop around with me to use the ONE?

Just wondering if my PCM-D50 dove-tails sufficiently with the One to sell the former first.
Depending on what and where you are taking your PCM-D50, you will give up some portability using Apogee One since you will need to take your MacBook with you too.
For me, I have looked at all the portable field recorders and made decision to get a One for field recording. ( I have my MBP insured in for any accidental damages). For more serious dialog recording on film I use the Duet.

as for the mic on the One, it blows the PCM-D50 away (IMHO). However it is not stereo. This might be a big deal for you.

So they are not exactly the same thing, having PCM D50 (nice machine) and lugging around a macbook and apogee one. But the quality, especially with good external mic and great AD/DA conversion is worth it (to me)

Hope that helps you

Johnny
Old 10th February 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkane View Post
Does anyone use One with usb midikeyboard?I have white macbook( 2.4. ghz 2 gig ram)which has two usb slots and I am hoping that it will be possible to hook a midikeys to an another slot.I would not record audio and midi at the same time.

Many thanks in advance

Mkane
I ordered One but I use Duet with USB midi keyboard on MBP. I see no reason why the one will not also be equally as good. USB 2.0 on Mac is well implemented. And you could record MIDI and audio at same time. not a problem.(depending on what soft synths you are using). MIDI is nothing for a computer to handle as audio is.

Johnny
Old 29th April 2010
Gear Head

limited output capability

I'm considering getting a ONE. I'm just wondering how it will fit into my workflow. I keep my monitors on when I'm working, but turn the volume down when I need to record with a mic, and then monitor via headphones. How would that work, with a ONE, or even a Duet? Seems that I'd have to unplug the cable for this, every time, causing my speakers to make a horrible sound. So can an Apogee product even fit into a workspace with both monitors and headphones? I'm not going to turn my monitors off every time I need to record something this way; that's too much of a waste of time, and I'll go with some other manufacturer if there's no other solution with an Apogee.

Also, I don't see how the output can be suitable for both headphones and monitors. Anybody have some info on this? Does it just sound really bad into monitors, and focus on nice headphone monitoring?
Old 29th April 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessy View Post
I'm considering getting a ONE. I'm just wondering how it will fit into my workflow. I keep my monitors on when I'm working, but turn the volume down when I need to record with a mic, and then monitor via headphones. How would that work, with a ONE, or even a Duet? Seems that I'd have to unplug the cable for this, every time, causing my speakers to make a horrible sound. So can an Apogee product even fit into a workspace with both monitors and headphones? I'm not going to turn my monitors off every time I need to record something this way; that's too much of a waste of time, and I'll go with some other manufacturer if there's no other solution with an Apogee.
apogee duet has a headphone out and a line out, both have the same signal but you can use maestro to set everything to mute, and unmute however you want

with a one you would have to turn your monitors off, unhook them from the 1/8 jack, and then hook up your headphones

Quote:
Also, I don't see how the output can be suitable for both headphones and monitors. Anybody have some info on this? Does it just sound really bad into monitors, and focus on nice headphone monitoring?
on both the one and the duet you can set the line output as a regular out (with regulable volume) or amp out (set volume for use with amps that have their own volume)

----------------------------------------------

one problem im having right now (and apogee is looking into it) is that the line output level set to amp on my apogee one is noticeably lower that the line output level set to amp on my apoge duet

they told me both are supposed to be standard -10dBv but they were going to look into it just in case they are wrong and there is nothing wrong with my one

i just did some tests with logic pro 9 and it's test oscillator

sine wave waveform
1000.0Hz frequency
-12dB output level

checking the signal with an ua dcs vu meter set to -20

apogee duet (amp output) is +3dB on the vu meters
apogee duet (line output at -10) is +3dB on the vu meters

apogee one (amp output) is -6dB on the vu meters
apogee one (line output at -10) is around +5dB on the vu meters
apogee one (line output at -12) is around +3dB on the vu meters
Old 29th April 2010
Gear Maniac

sounds interesting for sure
Old 29th April 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by alehoe View Post
with a one you would have to turn your monitors off, unhook them from the 1/8 jack, and then hook up your headphones
That's the worst design I've ever heard of. Thanks for preventing me from purchasing such an dfegad idiotic product!

Quote:
on both the one and the duet you can set the line output as a regular out (with regulable volume) or amp out (set volume for use with amps that have their own volume)
But are not headphone and line outputs different things? Don't they deal with difference impedances or something?
Old 30th April 2010
Quote:
That's the worst design I've ever heard of. Thanks for preventing me from purchasing such an dfegad idiotic product!
actually, it is perfect for me and my portable needs. duet was great, but i needed more i/o. the one is tiny, has a good built-in mic, single channel, great quality. now im selling the duet to get an mr816x or a ff400.

Quote:
But are not headphone and line outputs different things? Don't they deal with difference impedances or something?
im not sure what you mean

the headphone output is in the front

line output is on the breakout cable which can be set to regular output with volume control or -10dBv amp output
Old 1st May 2010
Lives for gear

I'm really impressed with what I am hearing about One. I downloaded the garageband session
and opened it in Logic Pro. I soloed various tracks both with and without FX bypassed and
I'm pretty floored! I was very surprised to hear the electric guitar tracks and that they were
recorded direct and using Logic 9's new amps and effect pedals. I've kind of ignored amp simulators
as I have a ton of this stuff already,but also because I often prefer to record with a real amp mic'd up.

I've been itching to get a portable interface so I can have a writing setup on the go.
I was about to get an Mbox Mini or Mbox Pro but Apogee is really taking me by storm between
the Duet and the One!! I can be more than happy writing with Amp Designer using One.
I do all my keyboard work 100% with virtual instruments now so having my Axiom and a FW hard drive
I can see this would make a perfect mobile writing/recording setup for me.

I do have a question though. Is this interface USB 2.0 or is it USB 1.1 that just simply works well enough
on a 2.0 port? It's certainly not a deal breaker for my by any means, just curious.
Old 1st May 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
im not sure what you mean

the headphone output is in the front

line output is on the breakout cable which can be set to regular output with volume control or -10dBv amp output
I'm not talking about the Duet. I'm talking about the ONE.

Quote:
actually, it is perfect for me and my portable needs. duet was great, but i needed more i/o. the one is tiny, has a good built-in mic, single channel, great quality.
I don't need anything portable. I don't need multiple inputs. I just need one instrument/mic input, and stereo headphone/line out, and I want them all to sound good. They did a bad job, as far as I'm concerned. I've never heard of any professionals combining a headphone and line out before.

Also, I think it's pitiful that it's a rather portable microphone, and it maxes out at 48 kHz. When you pitch down your samples, the high end dies when you do that. I can't believe this product just came out last year, and not 2003 or so.
Old 1st May 2010
Lives for gear

well, as far as I am concerned, I think they've done an amazing job, it's cheap, light, tiny, stable, the dac doesn't sound harsh, its preamp isn't a toy (btw for those wondering, input impedance is 8K ohms), the di input works perfectly with line level signals (tested with a jx3p) and has more than enough gain for the quietest synth, and finally the internal mic can be useful (depending on the source and your ability to find the right position...) !
I understand the frustration of having to choose between monitor and headphones, but I haven't noticed any signal degradation, nor any noise, thru my genelec 8030's connected with a trs minijack->dual xlr cable ! happy customer, really !
Old 1st May 2010
Lives for gear
If you're on a budget I think the Saffire 6 is better value. Focusrite has excellent preamps.

YouTube - Andreya Triana and the Saffire 6 USB
Old 1st May 2010
Gear Maniac

Smile all the time huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartfelt View Post
Here we go again. No one can have an opinion on gear they don't have except for Chris Lago.

How do I apply for and get an opinion license, Chris? I want one like yours where I can say anything I want and bash people's mics and gear but tell them to shush cause they don't have yours.

Is there an app somewhere? I can fill it out real quick.

you two crack me upheh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search