The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
the apogee one...
Old 18th October 2009
Gear Nut

anyone grab one? how is it? seem like no one seems to be using it..
Old 18th October 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom783 View Post
anyone grab one? how is it? seem like no one seems to be using it..
We're all too busy using it.... Still love mine.
Old 18th October 2009
Here for the gear

I got mine about a week ago, and gotta say, it's freaking impressive! I love the quality of the internal condenser mic! The breakout cable could be sturdier, but I am sure that a 3rd party solution will appear at some point. It definitely delivers the goods though, so much so I think I want to get rid of my Presonus FP10 and replace it with an Ensemble! Overall, $250 is a steal for the quality!

Pros:
  1. Preamp is crystal clear, and well defined with plenty of gain (for me at least)
  2. The unit itself is pretty durable, not a tank, but not cheap plastic. You know the feel of cheapness I'm talking about. The little non-slip feet actually look like they are there to stay, not fall off!
  3. Seamless functionality with Mac, as expected.
  4. Internal mic rivals, if not beats, my meager mic locker of 57s, 58s, SM7B, and AKG Perception 420 (well, will have to A/B the last two... But you get my point)
  5. Very affordable
Cons:
  1. Breakout cable could be thicker/stronger.
  2. Would like to see Firewire
  3. Although the mic hole is pretty small, there is just a little piece foam in there. I am sure it is cut plenty big to not be an issue, but for the dirty people out there, I can see that getting crusty.
  4. There are only three meter LEDs, green, yellow, and red.
The cons aren't that bad, and a solution exists to those if you upgrade to the Duet. Just trying to be objective here.

For the micstand mount, Sweetwater.com is carrying them.

I'll upload a clip of my acoustic guitar later today, when I get some free time.
Old 19th October 2009
Here for the gear

quick question

I was actually thinking about getting this thing but i have on gripe with it that is stopping me from pulling the trigger on it. If I wanted to use this in a live situation using a plugged in guitar processed through guitar rig, how could i get this working through a monitor? what are the possible solutions to this problem? Surely a 1/8 inch cable wouldnt be sufficient. according to the apogee website:

Guitar, Bass and Keyboards:
Instrument Input
Plug-in and play is made easy with ONE's instrument input. Perfect for guitar, bass, and keyboard, ONE's instrument input has extremely low noise and a transparent signal path making it the ideal solution for recording or performing live with your Mac.

How exactly does that work?

Other than that I would definitely buy this thing for a recording situation but I would like to use it in a live situation, and dont tell me to get the gio, that thing is expensive!
Old 19th October 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubtguitarist View Post
quick question

I was actually thinking about getting this thing but i have on gripe with it that is stopping me from pulling the trigger on it. If I wanted to use this in a live situation using a plugged in guitar processed through guitar rig, how could i get this working through a monitor? what are the possible solutions to this problem? Surely a 1/8 inch cable wouldnt be sufficient. according to the apogee website:
I would think it would be a matter of plugging the instrument into the 1/4" input on the breakout cable, connecting the One to your Mac via USB, and then feeding the 1/8" unbalanced stereo output to your amplification setup via whatever adapter is necessary.
Old 19th October 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent in WA View Post
I would think it would be a matter of plugging the instrument into the 1/4" input on the breakout cable, connecting the One to your Mac via USB, and then feeding the 1/8" unbalanced stereo output to your amplification setup via whatever adapter is necessary.
Yep, pretty much.

And of course, set your buffer settings as low as your computer can handle so the latency won't be too bad.
Old 19th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draw the Moral View Post
Yep, pretty much.

And of course, set your buffer settings as low as your computer can handle so the latency won't be too bad.
Im pretty sure there was an option to change the output settings to an amp on maestro...?
Old 19th October 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt82aust View Post
Im pretty sure there was an option to change the output settings to an amp on maestro...?
With the Duet there is...so it's possible that one uses it as well.

Does the one use Maestro?
Old 19th October 2009
Here for the gear

would this setup sound just as good as a 1/4? Is there any noticable degredation of quality? If it sounds fine I will proceed to pick one up this week.

I was looking at this for being a possible setup when I dont feel like bringing all my gear. Would this be fine for playing at a worship service for instance and just hooking it up into a PA system. I know most people aren't as picky about other players tone, but i know it could potentially bother me (think line 6 spider).
Old 19th October 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
would this setup sound just as good as a 1/4? Is there any noticable degredation of quality? If it sounds fine I will proceed to pick one up this week.

I was looking at this for being a possible setup when I dont feel like bringing all my gear. Would this be fine for playing at a worship service for instance and just hooking it up into a PA system. I know most people aren't as picky about other players tone, but i know it could potentially bother me (think line 6 spider).
I don't think the size of the connector would make much difference, if any, as long as the physical connection is stable. It's easier to make a 1/8" plug jiggle in the jack than a 1/4", but unless you're dragging the One around the stage that shouldn't be a problem. I would, however, tape down the jack on the One's breakout cable. That being done, the sound will be the same.
Old 19th October 2009
Quote:

Well, keep in mind, whoever is running sound in the church should be informed on how to EQ your sound through the PA as well. Just because you have a killer tone doesn't mean it's going to sound exactly like that through that PA. That's not because of the One, that's because running through a PA just never sounds like you want it to.

But by all means give it a try. I used to run my Apogee Duet into my church's PA when I didn't feel like bringing my amp in.
Honestly, especially in that environment, no one cares unless it's ear bleeding terrible. As long as it's passible for a guitar, it will be fine. YOU may not like it...but then again, it's worship and that's not really the point anyway.

And Line 6 spider tone is terrible in my opinion.
Old 19th October 2009
Here for the gear

I was using it for an example of bad tone, So we both agree then lol. As long as it sounds better then I'm good. I guess for my purposes this will be good since i dont really see myself recording more than one trach at a time.
Old 20th October 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draw the Moral View Post
With the Duet there is...so it's possible that one uses it as well.

Does the one use Maestro?
Yup, it uses Maestro. Yup, it has settings for Amp.
Old 20th October 2009
Gear Head

I got the ONE this past Friday and was immediately impressed with the sound quality A/Bed between my 828 MKII and the ONE. It really is very good on the conversion side.

One problem I'm having: I have the ONE routed into my little VLZ3 1202 right alongside my 828. I basically use the board as a few extra pres and a patchbay. The only 1/8 to 1/4 Y cable I had on hand was a HOSA, so I used it. I'm getting a high pitched digital whine (low level, but still audible at higher volumes) with the ONE. My 828 is dead quiet. When I take the cable out and plug in headphones there's no whine through the ONE. I'm guessing it's the cable, right? Or could it be something else?

I also did a guitar session today and used the ONE. The pre sounded really, really, good The chain was an SM7 into the ONE. The other little quirk I discovered with the ONE in using it on this session is that it didn't like running through my snake. If I plugged into the snake I got buzzing. If I ran a mic cable directly from the breakout to the mic, no buzzing. Not a huge deal, but still, I was hoping to just integrate it into my setup for small sessions and mix to use the converters and I'm finding it not going as smoothly as I hoped.

I still think it sounds amazing though. Makes me want an Ensemble to replace the 828. But Ensemble doesn't have MIDI. Maybe I'll just get the bLA mod on the 828.
Old 20th October 2009
Gear Nut

I wonder if it's worth selling my fast track pro for the one. I like having a mobile interface with two inputs. the duet I tried was amazing but just a little spendy. what to do...
Old 20th October 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonlewis View Post
One problem I'm having: I have the ONE routed into my little VLZ3 1202 right alongside my 828. I basically use the board as a few extra pres and a patchbay. The only 1/8 to 1/4 Y cable I had on hand was a HOSA, so I used it. I'm getting a high pitched digital whine (low level, but still audible at higher volumes) with the ONE. My 828 is dead quiet. When I take the cable out and plug in headphones there's no whine through the ONE. I'm guessing it's the cable, right? Or could it be something else?
This is exactly what i was afraid of, some sort of noise through the cables. Well i was gonna take the plunge and get one, along with a high quality 1/8 to 1/4 cable plus mic mount, but that would be around 290 bucks. I'm thinking I could probably find a duet used for 300 if i kept searching and that I should probably leave myself some room to upgrade, and be able to record in stereo, as well as having a 1/4 out. But that still leaves me without a condensor mic!! I suppose I should be patient though and get the duet, and hold of on the condenser. I ordered a sm57 for now so it'll have to do. I still think its a great product though, but the thought of whine through a PA system makes me shiver...
Old 20th October 2009
Quote:
This is exactly what i was afraid of, some sort of noise through the cables. Well i was gonna take the plunge and get one, along with a high quality 1/8 to 1/4 cable plus mic mount, but that would be around 290 bucks. I'm thinking I could probably find a duet used for 300 if i kept searching and that I should probably leave myself some room to upgrade, and be able to record in stereo, as well as having a 1/4 out. But that still leaves me without a condensor mic!! I suppose I should be patient though and get the duet, and hold of on the condenser. I ordered a sm57 for now so it'll have to do. I still think its a great product though, but the thought of whine through a PA system makes me shiver...
Amazing things can be done with a Duet and a single SM57. And don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Just experiment with mic placement.
Old 5th November 2009
Here for the gear

Does anyone know if it would work well to plug a guitar straight in, use garage band effects pedals, then output to a guitar amp? In other words, use the one+laptop as a big digital pedal-board. Has anyone tried this?
Old 10th November 2009
TWO Apogee ones,,, or A DUET. Which would be better?

my doubts are:
ONE CONS
1) if I opt for the ONEs, am I losing subsatantial quality of the duet's 96k recording ability??
2) the two ONEs linked via usb might be more messy with wires and interface software etc
DUET CONS
3) The duet is more bulky and hasnt got a mike buit in

those with experience please advise
Old 18th November 2009
OMU
Lives for gear

I'm wondering about the encoder controlling the output. Is it a passive attenuator, or it just reduces the gain digitally like a software knob? Couldn't really find any info on the Apogee site. Either way, it's on it's way here.
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Addict

Taylor 110> Gefell M930 > Apogee One External Mike Pre in my tiny sitting room

Taylor Fingerpicked 44.1/16

I have to say I'm liking it...
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Love View Post

Great Job! We would love to hear more when you have them.

We put up a page with some recordings we made using ONE's internal microphone. Apogee Electronics > Products > ONE > Hear ONE

We have individual instruments that you can hear, and a song from a band we tracked in GarageBand using only the internal microphone of ONE(1/4" Instrument input on Bass and Electric guitar).
It was mixed in GarageBand using only ONE and a pair of headphones.
You can also download the GarageBand Session and Video of the session, to see exactly what we did.

Chris Lawson
Apogee Electronics
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clawson View Post
Great Job! We would love to hear more when you have them.

We put up a page with some recordings we made using ONE's internal microphone. Apogee Electronics > Products > ONE > Hear ONE

We have individual instruments that you can hear, and a song from a band we tracked in GarageBand using only the internal microphone of ONE(1/4" Instrument input on Bass and Electric guitar).
It was mixed in GarageBand using only ONE and a pair of headphones.
You can also download the GarageBand Session and Video of the session, to see exactly what we did.

Chris Lawson
Apogee Electronics
Hi Chris - thanks for listening. I'll be doing some more tracking and scratchpadding tomorrow and will post anything interesting. (Daughter ill today: duty calls).

I've been noodling on about your unit in more detail here... (apologies to Gearslutz for mentioning another forum)... you might want to comment? As you can see, I'm feeling a tad grumpy about the mike clamp being an optional extra... (sorry just my opinion).

Reg
Old 25th November 2009
Gear Head

im waiting for an apogee one with iphone/ipod touch type technology

basically a self standing (stand alone) interface without the need to lug around the laptop too.

all controls would be through the touch screen.

get on it apogee!!!

with wi fi to email demo songs
Old 12th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
After all, how many people think a Neumann TLM-103 is superior to,say, a Studio Projects C1? How many would also realized they're built in the same factory in China?
While I'm sure there are certain situations where one may choose a C1 over a TLM103, I would still say that the TLM103 is superior to the C1. And they're not built in the same factory.

Even if they were, though...would you expect them to sound the same just because they were built in the same factory? Not sure what point you're trying to make here.

Quote:
Too expensive for what it offers. No need to pay for high end converters considering in what situations you'll use any such a unit. Add to this it's not platform compatible and you're left with a pretty much limited piece of gear.
How do you know what situations people will use this unit in? Considering the quality of the converters in this thing it's not a lot to pay. It may not be worth it to you but it certainly is to some people.

And if you use Apple computers it's not really limited, is it?

Quote:
Mac sucks, they got one good deal on a batch of microchips in the late 90's and they think they can go on defying industry standards for 10 years ... shame on them.
Seems to be working for them, though, doesn't it?

Quote:
It's rather odd that Apogee would cut their nose to spite their face and make a Mac-only product.
It may seem odd, but it's not surprising...the Ensemble and Duet have been Mac-only products for years, and they seem to be doing just fine. I'm sure if they opened it up to Widows machines their support calls would go disproportionately up.

Quote:
Let's face it, apart from the high end converters (and probably also preamps), both the Duo and the One are jokes. And it's not exactly that those high end converters would cost them an arm and a leg in terms of production costs.
Featurewise, both of them are absolutely laughable by any means.
What do you mean, "apart from the high end converters"? Isn't that the main reason people buy these things? Oh, and you're right, the preamps are nice as well, if you're looking for something clean. And obviously the converters don't cost and arm and a leg considering the fact that the interfaces themselves don't.

Sure, they're both fairly stripped down in terms of features, but laughable? High-quality converters, preamps (and, apparently, microphones in the case of the One) and solid drivers...what's laughable about that?
Old 12th December 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Love View Post

Beautiful, very impressive sound!
Old 12th December 2009
Lives for gear

When I look at the picture of the One I just think to myself these guys are doing what Apple did.

I remember when Apple actually made solid computers with proper quality components. Their new stuff just seems all about style and marketing. I've had enough G5s open to be disappointed.

I am not saying this is the case with Apogee. I just can't get it out my mind though. Especially with the styling of the One.
Old 15th December 2009
Lives for gear

I'm thinking about getting a low-budget interface primarily for monitoring (right now my KRK RP5's are hooked up to my 1/8" headphone jack via a 1/8" to two 1/4" cable adapter).

But I also want to use the interface for recording. I only need to record one track at a time though, and I like the functionality of the Apogee One.

I noticed that the Apogee One only has a 1/8" headphone jack for "monitoring," though.

Would the Apogee One be good for monitoring, or would I better off getting, say, an E-MU 0404 or a Presonus Firebox?
Old 15th December 2009
Gear Maniac

Flag... Can be a very nice addition to the Ensemble for added mobility.
Old 9th January 2010
Here for the gear

Panning?

Hi,

I'm just wondering if it is possible to pan the output when listening to iTunes for example. The System Preferences states that "The selected device has no output controls" in place of the usual slider for panning.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search