The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
the apogee one...
Old 24th June 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislago View Post
I think they should have put optical on it, now that would have been killer!
If they put optical on it, you would be bypassing the converters. What then would you want a single channel apogee interface for?
Old 24th June 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by casey_outlaw View Post
If they put optical on it, you would be bypassing the converters. What then would you want a single channel apogee interface for?
I would want the single channel converter for vocals, optical for synth.
Old 24th June 2009
Gear Addict

>>How do you know?<<

I don't. I'm merely speculating. That's why I said "Probably". I may be wrong, but it's a good chance it's Chinese.

My point was addressing the price point of the product. Notice what I'm quoting.

I'm not dissing Chinese gear, Practically all of mine is Chinese. I'm simply stating that this unit is PROBABLY no better than anything else in it's price range. Unless such gear is lab-tested and compared to other gear, there's no way to really know if it's gong to be better performing or not.

Many people psychologically perceive a product to be better-sounding just it has a given brand-name on it, like Apogee. After all, how many people think a Neumann TLM-103 is superior to,say, a Studio Projects C1? How many would also realized they're built in the same factory in China?
Old 24th June 2009
Gear Head

Are you sure Duet and One identical (AD/DA converter wise)?
Old 24th June 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by videoracer View Post
>>How do you know?<<

I don't. I'm merely speculating. That's why I said "Probably". I may be wrong, but it's a good chance it's Chinese.

My point was addressing the price point of the product. Notice what I'm quoting.

I'm not dissing Chinese gear, Practically all of mine is Chinese. I'm simply stating that this unit is PROBABLY no better than anything else in it's price range. Unless such gear is lab-tested and compared to other gear, there's no way to really know if it's gong to be better performing or not.

Many people psychologically perceive a product to be better-sounding just it has a given brand-name on it, like Apogee. After all, how many people think a Neumann TLM-103 is superior to,say, a Studio Projects C1? How many would also realized they're built in the same factory in China?
I think you can't say it's not better until you actually try the One next to the duet side by side.
Old 24th June 2009
Lives for gear

Here we go again. No one can have an opinion on gear they don't have except for Chris Lago.

How do I apply for and get an opinion license, Chris? I want one like yours where I can say anything I want and bash people's mics and gear but tell them to shush cause they don't have yours.

Is there an app somewhere? I can fill it out real quick.
Old 24th June 2009
Best thing to do is to post 2 samples made with the duet and One.
Old 24th June 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Best thing to do is to post 2 samples made with the duet and One.
I can't wait.
Old 24th June 2009
Anyone has both? I'd like to hear a comparison.
Old 25th June 2009
Here for the gear

Correct me if I'm wrong

ONE : . . . . . . . DUET :

24/48khz . . . . . 96khz
24bit . . . . . . . . 24bit

out: . . . . . . . . .out:
1/8 stereo . . . . .2x 1/4 mono
1 input . . . . . . . 2 inputs
1 built in mic. . . .no built in mic.

1 led bar . . . . . .2 ledbars
USB . . . . . . . . . Firewire

OS 10.5.7 . . . . . OS 10.4.10

gain: . . . . . . . . . . .gain:
+10 to 65db (?) . . . .75 db is this the same ?

I do not like 1/8" phono jacks, 1/4" jacks are more solid.
Two ledbars is better when dealing with double mono sources.

Sizes are the same 4"" x 6,3"" x 1,5"" , but black looks smaller.

Last edited by gribus; 25th June 2009 at 04:40 PM.. Reason: column view
Old 25th June 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by gribus View Post

they arent the same size. click on the link to go to the picture of it in my hand. its like an ipod.
Old 25th June 2009
Here for the gear

that's what I thought, but apogee site gives these sizes, apparently wrong.
Old 25th June 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong

ONE : . . . . . . . DUET :

24/48khz . . . . . 96khz
24bit . . . . . . . . 24bit

out: . . . . . . . . .out:
1/8 stereo . . . . .2x 1/4 mono
1 input . . . . . . . 2 inputs
1 built in mic. . . .no built in mic.

1 led bar . . . . . .2 ledbars
USB . . . . . . . . . Firewire

OS 10.5.7 . . . . . OS 10.4.10

gain: . . . . . . . . . . .gain:
+10 to 65db (?) . . . .75 db is this the same ?

I do not like 1/8" phono jacks, 1/4" jacks are more solid.
Two ledbars is better when dealing with double mono sources.

Nice comparison post! Thanks. I am happy with my Duet. If I need to go mobile, it is totally the way to go. Not sure how much 'one mic' recording I'll want to do. But the new Apogee One will likely do well for it's quality and price point.

I'd like to see Apogee come out with a more affordable Ensemble. Something in between the $500 Duet and the $1700 Ensemble would do VERY well if you ask me.
Old 26th June 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
that's what I thought, but apogee site gives these sizes, apparently wrong.
This is what the Apogee site says:

"Dimensions: 2.25" W x 4.75" L x 1" H" (copied & pasted)

And it's not made in China.
Old 26th June 2009
Gear Addict

>> And it's not made in China.<<

Not that ultimately matters, but how do you know this? Just curious.
Old 26th June 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
>> And it's not made in China.<<

Not that ultimately matters, but how do you know this? Just curious.
I've got a friend at the company.
Old 26th June 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by MixShmix View Post
I've got a friend at the company.
If you do, tell him to send you sound samples!
Old 26th June 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
If you do, tell him to send you sound samples!
The video I did with Ozomatli is a great example of what ONE sounds like. Every single track was recorded with ONE.
Apogee Electronics > Products > ONE

The Guitar, Conga, Tambourine, and even the small keyboard (with internal speaker) were all recorded using ONE's internal microphone.
The Bass and Requinto guitar were recorded using the 1/4" instrument input.
The vocals were recored using ONE's mic pre and an Sm7

Chris Lawson
Apogee Electronics
Old 26th June 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clawson View Post
The video I did with Ozomatli is a great example of what ONE sounds like. Every single track was recorded with ONE.
Apogee Electronics > Products > ONE

The Guitar, Conga, Tambourine, and even the small keyboard (with internal speaker) were all recorded using ONE's internal microphone.
The Bass and Requinto guitar were recorded using the 1/4" instrument input.
The vocals were recored using ONE's mic pre and an Sm7

Chris Lawson
Apogee Electronics
What else was done to the track? Was it mixed in GB? Was any external hardware used? What about additional software plugins? Was it mastered?

Just trying to get an idea of everything that went into making the recording sound the way it did?

Thanks!
Old 26th June 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonburn View Post
What else was done to the track? Was it mixed in GB? Was any external hardware used? What about additional software plugins? Was it mastered?

Just trying to get an idea of everything that went into making the recording sound the way it did?

Thanks!
It was recorded in Garage Band, But I used Logic to mix it. No external hardware was used, the only plug in's were what comes with Logic. No real mastering to speak of, just me adding some light EQ, Compression, and limiting on the master out in Logic before bouncing it. Oh and I used the D to A of ONE for the whole mix.

If you have any other questions about the recording let me know. I had a great time working on this, and love talking about it!

Chris Lawson
Apogee Electronics
Old 26th June 2009
Lives for gear

Too expensive for what it offers. No need to pay for high end converters considering in what situations you'll use any such a unit. Add to this it's not platform compatible and you're left with a pretty much limited piece of gear. My personal opinion, of course.

- Sascha
Old 26th June 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clawson View Post
It was recorded in Garage Band, But I used Logic to mix it. No external hardware was used, the only plug in's were what comes with Logic. No real mastering to speak of, just me adding some light EQ, Compression, and limiting on the master out in Logic before bouncing it. Oh and I used the D to A of ONE for the whole mix.

If you have any other questions about the recording let me know. I had a great time working on this, and love talking about it!

Chris Lawson
Apogee Electronics
I'd really like to hear a sample of the track without any EQ, compression, limiting or whatsoever on the final track, because it colors the final mixdown and doesn't give a true representation of the unit.
Old 27th June 2009
Lives for gear
Mac sucks, they got one good deal on a batch of microchips in the late 90's and they think they can go on defying industry standards for 10 years ... shame on them.

Who cares what apogee is doing, their stuff sucks as much as ProTools.fuuck

Love these smileys!
Old 27th June 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by psykostx View Post
Mac sucks, they got one good deal on a batch of microchips in the late 90's and they think they can go on defying industry standards for 10 years ... shame on them.

Who cares what apogee is doing, their stuff sucks as much as ProTools.fuuck

Love these smileys!

you sick of seeing your prostate so close to your nose? must be to post non constructive comments such as this.

nobody wants to hear your tired and boring mac-bashing. it's been done to death from people on both sides of the fence and now it's just stale
Old 27th June 2009
Gear Addict

It's rather odd that Apogee would cut their nose to spite their face and make a Mac-only product. Not that I'm in the market for an Apogee product, but I'm sure others would like such a product to use on their PCs. Many people still consider Apogee products to be a better than normal. They could make a better living of it if they (or any manufacturer) would make products that worked on any platform.
Old 27th June 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
They could make a better living of it if they (or any manufacturer) would make products that worked on any platform.
its cus PC's just cant get with the program..

how many years has Mac been on a 64 platform, i donno either... When PC does it, its the biggest cluster **** for most software.

when it first came out, it was almost impossible to sell an interface, or software for recording to customers.

it was like a "spin the wheel" and hope it works.
Old 28th June 2009
Gear Addict

>>its cus PC's just cant get with the program..<<

You sound like psykostx...
Old 28th June 2009
I think people should focus on making music with the interface and gear that they have
Old 28th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think people should focus on making music with the interface and gear that they have
My thoughts exactly...
Old 29th June 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
>>its cus PC's just cant get with the program..<<

You sound like psykostx...
PUN intended!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search