The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
FMR RNC European power supply
Old 22nd June 2009
Lives for gear

FMR RNC European power supply

Hello,

I just got fmr rnc, but with US power adaptor. I live in UK. I contacted with FMR, but no luck for long time...
ANy ideas ? May I plug 'a common' AC power wall transformer, 9VAC 500mA, 2.1mm jack, or I need sth. special ?

thanks for answer
Old 22nd June 2009
Gear Maniac

Which dealer did you purchase it from??
Old 22nd June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Fitz View Post
Which dealer did you purchase it from??
private person. fleabay
Old 22nd June 2009
Gear Nut

A common AC adaptor should work, as long as its at least 500mA (although on the website the rear panel view shows 600mA). But you will need to get the polarity correct, which doesn't seem to be stated on the website.

Dave
Old 22nd June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouldy View Post
A common AC adaptor should work, as long as its at least 500mA (although on the website the rear panel view shows 600mA). But you will need to get the polarity correct, which doesn't seem to be stated on the website.

Dave
website spec :
FMR Audio - Home of the Really Nice Compressor and Preamp (512) 280-6557

says it's AC Power Wall transformer, 9VAC @ 500mA, 2.1mm jack
and my 110v power adapt got same info( except 220v ..)
but polarity correctness scares me a bit...

what does it mean ??

cheers
Old 22nd June 2009
Gear Maniac

We can get you one if you give a call...

Or just drop me an email
Old 22nd June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

Or just drop me an email
thanks for good will at first, but isn't it necessary to buy little thing in US and ship it here ? Can't it be done by simply buying :

The AV Shack - AC power supply 9Vac, 500mA

for a fraction of price ?

is FMR's original power special ? 'cause I got one, so maybe better option is to buy a changer from 110v to 220v instead ?

cheers
Old 22nd June 2009
Gear Nut

Polarity is just which part of the plug (the end that connects to the unit itself, not the end you plug into the wall) is +ve and which is -ve, much like the two terminals on a battery. So you need to get an adaptor that suits. I would buy a universal one where you can change the polarity by fitting the plug 180 degrees. NORMALLY inside a unit like this will have protection inside so as not to affect it if you connect the incorrect polarity to it... it will just not work. (but then I didn't design this one)
Something like this....
http://www.amazon.com/AV93636-Universal-Adapter-500-Black/dp/B00009UHBA

This may be a great option....
Quote:

Or just drop me an email
Dave
Old 22nd June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Polarity is just which part of the plug (the end that connects to the unit itself, not the end you plug into the wall) is +ve and which is -ve, much like the two terminals on a battery. So you need to get an adaptor that suits. I would buy a universal one where you can change the polarity by fitting the plug 180 degrees. NORMALLY inside a unit like this will have protection inside so as not to affect it if you connect the incorrect polarity to it... it will just not work. (but then I didn't design this one)
Something like this....
http://www.amazon.com/AV93636-Universal-Adapter-500-Black/dp/B00009UHBA

This may be a great option....

Dave

thanks, i know what polarity is, but i don't know it got to do anything with audio.....
I thought that polarity is irrelevant, it works anyway you plug device...
Old 22nd June 2009
Gear Nut

In this instance if the power adaptor doesn't work, you won't have any audio. That adaptor is POWERING the unit. In audio, if your amplifier isn't connected to the correct polarity of the speakers, you will have phase issues and as an example of this the bass frequencies will seem missing.
Just trying to help.

Dave
Old 22nd June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
In this instance if the power adaptor doesn't work, you won't have any audio. That adaptor is POWERING the unit. In audio, if your amplifier isn't connected to the correct polarity of the speakers, you will have phase issues and as an example of this the bass frequencies will seem missing.
Just trying to help.

Dave

thank you very much for help Dave.
For my knowledge in my setup I got only old akai s950 sampler which has strange power plug (no ground), but it works however I plug it,
My bcr2000(midi controller) has plug without ground, so i can mix polarity...
but well it is midi not audio...

hell man ....you scared me....
I can't here any phase issues in my speakers, thx Lord

getting to point, would you suggest to buy power adapter 110/220 v or go for this :

or sth similar

my ignorance makes me really unhappy...;/
Old 22nd June 2009
Gear Maniac

Hi tresperros

The ouput specs of the AC adapter you have are the same as the ones I have - i.e. 9v 500mA. This info is also on the back of the RNC. This is what the RNC needs regardless of what country you're in.

Incidentally, the link to your adapter in your most recent post is confusing. The website has a 12v adapter pictured rather than a 9v. I would get that clarified before buying as you need exaclty what the RNC requires.

Your main issue here is input voltage.

My AC adapter's input is 230v, 50Hz, 37mA. I'll bet yours is 110V, 60Hz? Basically, what you require is an AC Adapter with:

Input: 230v, 50Hz, 37mA
Output: 9v, 500mA

Forget about polarity if no longer using the US AC adapter.

Get what you were intending getting with the specs I've written in bold above and you'll be sorted.

Another option is to plug your US AC Adapter into a UK-US Step Down Converter which transforms our UK voltage down to the US voltage which the US AC adapter requires. However, I'd suggest a fresh UK AC adapter instead of having two transformers in line.

Regards

Zipps
Old 22nd June 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tresperros View Post
thank you very much for help Dave.
For my knowledge in my setup I got only old akai s950 sampler which has strange power plug (no ground), but it works however I plug it,
My bcr2000(midi controller) has plug without ground, so i can mix polarity...
but well it is midi not audio...

hell man ....you scared me....
I can't here any phase issues in my speakers, thx Lord

getting to point, would you suggest to buy power adapter 110/220 v or go for this :

or sth similar

my ignorance makes me really unhappy...;/
Yes that adaptor should work, as it states on the website page, it is available in both 9v and 12v

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippsinc View Post
Hi tresperros

The ouput specs of the AC adapter you have are the same as the ones I have - i.e. 9v 500mA. This info is also on the back of the RNC. This is what the RNC needs regardless of what country you're in.

Incidentally, the link to your adapter in your most recent post is confusing. The website has a 12v adapter pictured rather than a 9v. I would get that clarified before buying as you need exaclty what the RNC requires.

Your main issue here is input voltage.

My AC adapter's input is 230v, 50Hz, 37mA. I'll bet yours is 110V, 60Hz? Basically, what you require is an AC Adapter with:

Input: 230v, 50Hz, 37mA
Output: 9v, 500mA

Forget about polarity if no longer using the US AC adapter.

Get what you were intending getting with the specs I've written in bold above and you'll be sorted.

Another option is to plug your US AC Adapter into a UK-US Step Down Converter which transforms our UK voltage down to the US voltage which the US AC adapter requires. However, I'd suggest a fresh UK AC adapter instead of having two transformers in line.

Regards

Zipps
A step down transformer would be far more expensive way to go and would indeed possibly cause hum problems.

Zipps is correct, best just forget about polarity at this point.

Dave
Old 22nd June 2009
Gear Nut

BTW FWIW, a 12v adaptor will generally be fine to power a unit needing 9v.

Dave
Old 22nd June 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
BTW FWIW, a 12v adaptor will generally be fine to power a unit needing 9v.

Dave
Hi Dave

Ah...I never knew this and was just about to research it.

Regarding Stepdowns. I bought one relatively cheap from Amazon for a 110v dbx 160x I bought. I think it was £6. I think they used to be a lot more expensive though as you said.

Later

Zipps
Old 23rd June 2009
Gear Nut

Wow that is cheap! Being stuck down here in the antipodes, we seem to pay big time for anything not manufactured here (which is just about anything) ... and actually anything that is manufactured here too (eg in a recent investigation it was found it is cheaper to buy milk from New Zealand in a UK supermarket than in NZ!).
Anyway, I would personally still try to keep the power as 'clean' as possible, and get a dedicated UK 9v adaptor.

Dave
Old 23rd June 2009
Lives for gear

guys,

thank you very much

have a good day
Old 23rd June 2009
Gear Head

Or just obtain one of those traveller's converters for electrical plugs. I got an FMR RNP from thomann.de and they included one in the sale; it just adds on to the wallplug end of the adaptor and they can be bought way cheap in stores like Wilkinsons.
Old 25th June 2009
Gear Maniac

To clarify a point, polarity doesn't matter in this case because the output of the transformer is AC. If it were DC then, yes, it would matter.

That said, I have 3 RNCs here. Go to a boot sale and dig through the offerings , lots of old dialup modems used 9VAC transformers as did older cell phone chargers. I got mine for about 1 - 2 euros a piece.

karl
Old 26th June 2009
Lives for gear

I have recently purchased a RNP from a private seller here in the UK but the unit was originally obtained in the US. It has been sold to me with a UK power supply and the info on the plug reads as follows:

AC INPUT: 100-240V~1.0A, 50-60Hz
DC OUTPUT: 9-12V---2.0A & 20W MAX
(9V ---2.0A Typical)
Will this be able to power the unit OK without any detriment to its performance?

Oh and the rear of the RNP states:
9V-12V
> 1.5A
Old 26th June 2009
Gear Maniac

Be aware that this thread is about the RNC and not the RNP

Regarding the RNP. The Flexible Power Supply Requirements section on page 4 of the manual states that the RNP has a current capacity of at least 1.5A. Hopefully someone else can chip in here and tell you if it's okay to run half and Amp higher on your adapter than the unit requires.

Zipps
Old 26th June 2009
Gear Nut

From what I understand, current (measured in Amps) is 'drawn' from the equipment using it. So if the RNP requires a minimum of 1.5A it will 'draw' 1.5A from the power supply (and not 2A). Assuming my understanding is correct, the power supply should be fine.

Dave
Old 27th June 2009
Lives for gear

D`Oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrybe View Post
Or just obtain one of those traveller's converters for electrical plugs. I got an FMR RNP from thomann.de and they included one in the sale; it just adds on to the wallplug end of the adaptor and they can be bought way cheap in stores like Wilkinsons.
Which would be fine if he was plugging a 230volt Euro device into the mains. He is not. The one he has does 110volts USA style.
PLugging US110volt device into UK 230volt mains tends to let the smoke out....
Old 27th April 2014
Gear Head

Can i use a 9V AC 1000mA transformer with the RNC?

Hi,

Can i use a 9V AC 1000mA transformer with the RNC? I've looking everwhere in Australia and they just dont seem to sell the exact specs of the RNC requirements. 9 AC 500mA.

Thanks

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search