The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Condenser Mic for specific purpose
Old 22nd June 2009
Gear Maniac

Condenser Mic for specific purpose

Hi all,

This is my first post here, and I'm just looking for a little help and some recommendations.

I do some recording at home, guitar/vocals mostly, and have the usual stable of SM-57, 58's, and have a couple of condenser mics (MXL 990 and 991). For the most part, these mics do what I need, but I'm looking to get a new condenser mic for vocals, acoustic guitars, and the unique recording situation I mentioned earlier. The MXL's work decently for these purposes but they have a bit too much high-end, and just don't sound very smooth or warm.

Now, the unique recording I'm talking about is recording music at family gatherings. My family likes to play gospel music at our family gatherings, and while I'm not THE biggest fan of the style of music, I really like to record the sessions just for keepsakes.

So what I'd like is a mic that I can combine with the MXL's to capture the sound of 5-10 people singing with guitar, mandolin, and violin accompaniment. I'm not trying to record everyone individually, as I like the sound of a live performance, the sound of a group playing/singing around a few mics.

The budget right now for a mic is topping out at about $250 if that helps with a recommendation.

(Also, if needed: I'm using an M-Audio interface into my laptop)

EDITED TO ADD:
Also it would be a plus if the mic could be used for high-gain guitars as well.
Old 22nd June 2009
Lives for gear

just a couple bucks more will get you a pair of CAD M179's from warren at zenproaudio.com. those are multipattern and are regarded as the poor man's c414. i will be getting a 3 pack from warren later, but from the glowing reviews, it seems like you can't really go wrong.

rich
Old 22nd June 2009
Lives for gear

ZenPro Audio: CAD M179

here's the link!

rich
Old 22nd June 2009

A pair of mics is usually the best for this situation.

If the room is decent, you could get a pair of Kel HM1 and be done. These are soft on the high end and do a good job of capturing ensembles.

A pair of M179 may be a lot more versitile.

The HM1 would be a better choice for most guitar cabinets.

Either way, $250 is a bit light for a pair. (Though the M179 comes with a 20' mic cable if you order it from Zenpro.)

-tINY

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search