The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
SM7 best version with Duet (a, b or orig)
Old 21st June 2009
Gear Head

SM7 best version with Duet (a, b or orig)

Hi,

Which version of Shure SM7 is best when connected directly to a Apogee Duet? (SM7, SM7a, SM7b)

Thanks.
Old 21st June 2009
Gear Head

bump
Old 22nd June 2009
They are all moreso the same. They didn't change anything much from version to version.
Old 22nd June 2009
Lives for gear

SM7B will need slightly less gain than A version..
having A+B and cant hear any difference sonically..

there are slight changes in A/B version front grill /sorry for my English not my native/

+ if am not wrong the B version is more shielded against interferences, plus maybe some more changes but not sure about..

read somewhere on GS that there are guys searching only for version A /actually saw some 2nd hand pieces surprisingly more expensive than version B/

I would not consider this fact as anything relevant..

heard Duet + SM7B and was pretty surprised..
clean, transparent slightly brighter than with Great River I use with Shure
...it was less meaty and creamy but definitely pretty good..so my opinion is you are not going wrong way..

have luck.
2L
Old 22nd June 2009
the original sm7 has lower gain than the later, lettered versions. but i have it and have no problems with it with my ART Digital MPA and with my MOTU 8 Pre.

theoretically, the improved shielding against interference from computer monitors could be good if you're recording in the same room your computer is in. but again, i don't have any issues with my original though, and i've done vocals in my control room with it not too far from the monitors.

in short, i wouldn't worry too much about which version you get. it's a good mic either way.
Old 22nd June 2009
Gear Head

Thanks ..

Do the duet got enough gain to drive the original SM7 and 'a' versions?
With no doubt, the duet got more than enough for the 'b'.
Old 22nd June 2009
Lives for gear

it will - the difference between gain for A / B is not big...

brgds
2L
Old 22nd June 2009
Lives for gear

The SM7b sounds too sterile with the duet.
Old 22nd June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
The SM7b sounds too sterile with the duet.

dirty it up in the daw, the duet is fine the sm7b.
Old 22nd June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominic hoenig View Post
dirty it up in the daw, the duet is fine the sm7b.
Well, yeah, not the same as just using a colored pre-amp in the first place.
Old 22nd June 2009
Gear Maniac

When I first tried the SM7B with the Duet I thought it was a little bland (compared to the Great River). However, it does sound really good and usable.
Old 23rd June 2009
Lives for gear

Sorry but the original and the new do sound different. The original is a bit better for vocals, something in the top end. I prefer the b on some things. For the bottom.
Old 23rd June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesaustin View Post
Sorry but the original and the new do sound different. The original is a bit better for vocals, something in the top end. I prefer the b on some things. For the bottom.
I do believe it, ../never heard original, having A+B versions/

couple of times I have heard difference - it was with vocs, would say A was smoother and B slightly more open../so opposite to your experience/

second day I could not recognize which version was with SM7 A or B..

other session same singer came, and B was smoother, A slightly more open.../so opposite to a first session/

- it was his vocals and performance which made difference sonically at first.

the point am aiming at - as the vocals change with each take, or day, or after lunch : ) its pretty hard for me to determine which version suits and is better over the other..

so not really sure I can say "there is hearable difference"..but believe any change /even the sligthly redesigned front grill/ can have certain effect on sound...

however the point for me is - if A or B are definitely different sounding on most applications,
and would not say mostly they are..YMMV.

heard some people are in love about US versions, bashing Mexico production...but most of happy SM7 users have the Mexico assembled I suppose..

Wondering about some serious testing..

Really depends..

My Best Regards
2L
Old 23rd June 2009
Mexico? Didn't know the new ones were made over there.
Old 23rd June 2009
Lives for gear

Yes they are "Assembled In Mexico" actually
Old 23rd June 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Loud View Post
Yes they are "Assembled In Mexico" actually
Wow, that's kinda cheap! I actually bought the K2, knowing that they were done in Australia. Trying to stay away from Chinese/mexico mics. I guess the AT line is still good at that point... They are made in Japan just like the sony c800g right?
Old 23rd June 2009
Lives for gear

I dont know about AT/or Sony800, but would say lots / most of people are having SM7´s from Mexico and heard not any complaints..

Personnally am bit careful about the production lines outside the origin of the product too, but you know how it is....till it sounds like it should its all okay..

Brgds
2L
Old 23rd June 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Loud View Post
I dont know about AT/or Sony800, but would say lots / most of people are having SM7´s from Mexico and heard not any complaints..

Personnally am bit careful about the production lines outside the origin of the product too, but you know how it is....till it sounds like it should its all okay..

Brgds
2L
Yeah, I'm more and more careful about what I buy and from where it comes from, especially electronics.
Old 23rd June 2009
Lives for gear

Concerning the SM7, there are no electronics to worry about: there's just a couple of inductors. The Mexico plant allows Shure to pay less for the assembly of the microphone, it doesn't mean that the parts are sub-standard.
Old 25th June 2009
Lives for gear

3 things
1 which is best ? depends on who you ask!
2 Very few pieces of affordable gear are made of parts coming from places other than China! Assembled means just that You have No Idea where the parts come from! Heck AN AMG C63 has some components that were sourced from China!
3 What's wrong with Mexico? Give them some jobs!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search