The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Replacing Shure UT2 SM58 cartridge?
Old 21st June 2009
Here for the gear

Replacing Shure UT2 SM58 cartridge?

Hi - I have been reading up here a lot throughout this year but this is my first post as I haven't read anything that clarifies my situation.

I have a Shure UT4 receiver and UT2 handheld transmitter with a SM58 cartridge in it. It operates on 600.800 MHz which is fine where I am in Australia. I bought it second hand and the mic grill was pretty dented. It works but sounds muffled - no clarity like the wired SM58 on comparison.

I am guessing the cartridge is damaged and I'm happy to replace it as the SM58 is not the mic for my voice anyway. I'm considering replacing it with a cartridge for a Beta 87A or a KSM9 (if I can find a good deal on one).

Has anyone got any experience with the UT2/UT4 combo or lack of clarity in wireless systems in general and common causes? I'd hate to spend up on a new cartridge only to find the lack of clarity is still an issue.

Cheers
Old 22nd June 2009
Lives for gear

Wireless mics never sound the same as the wired versions. The newer systems are much better but none will be the same as a wired mic.

SM58 grills are week and easy to dent but unless the grill is pushed onto the cartridge then it does take alot to significantly damage the cartridge.
Old 22nd June 2009
Here for the gear

Thanks Aussie Techie - I think I'll invest in a wired KSM9 instead and save the wireless SM58 for use as the "crowd mic" (wedding speeches etc where they want to use the band PA).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search