The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
CAD M179 positioning
Old 20th June 2009
Gear Addict

CAD M179 positioning

So I read the whole pamphlet that came with it, and have been using them for a while, but is this thing side-address? Like, do I point it perpendicular to my tom heads, and if so, which side? (probably the side without the controls, otherwise it would render the controls useless)

Anyways, I have it in hyper-cardiod mode with the pad engaged, anyone give some advice on positioning?

-Dave
Old 20th June 2009
Lives for gear

Yes it is side-address, as are most LDC mics. The front is the side without controls*.

*corrected below, my bad
Old 20th June 2009
Gear Addict

Thank you! I was getting good sounding stuff doing front-address like an idiot(attests to their robustness and my luck). These are my first LDC's so I'm noob at them.
Old 20th June 2009
Lives for gear

Funny because I have seen plenty of photos with people facing the controls at their toms.
Old 20th June 2009
Lives for gear

Oh wait my bad, the controls are the front I guess. I don't actually own one, but my Oktava's have a similar "control panel" and it goes in back. Definitely side address though.
Old 20th June 2009
Paj
Gear Head

Play the video:

CAD M179 Dual Diaphragm Multi-Pattern Condenser Microphone

Also: Read the "Sound:" category from the tenth review (customer from vital.com):

CAD M179 Dual Diaphragm Multi-Pattern Condenser Microphone User Reviews - zZounds.com

Later,
Paj
8^)
Old 20th June 2009
Lives for gear

you used it for a while and couldnt establish for yourself where the front is? heh

you have ears, right?
Old 20th June 2009
Lives for gear

Yeah.. I was wondering that myself..

I would think that anyone using the side opposite the control side would notice pretty quickly they were on the wrong side..

But...apparently not.
Old 21st June 2009
Gear Addict

I was pointing it straight at the tom head, but since the bottom was also being pointed at the head, it was picking it up just fine.

Now I'm having really bad bleeding problems, especially from the cymbals directly overhead each tom.

Settings are: Hypercardiod, -20 pad enabled.
Old 21st June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corran View Post
Yes it is side-address, as are most LDC mics. The front is the side without controls.
Thats not correct. The side with the controls is the front of the mic
Old 21st June 2009
Lives for gear

Yeah I corrected myself already.
Old 21st June 2009
Lives for gear

No pun intended, but don´t you listen when positioning a mic?
( I don´t -for my " sound " but I never can replicate it as I didn ´t
notice... )

Matti
Old 21st June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corran View Post
The front is the side without controls.
In omni!

lol

Last edited by Kronos147; 21st June 2009 at 03:58 AM.. Reason: humor
Old 21st June 2009
Lives for gear

Omni is actully directional with higher frequencies esp. with large diaghram mics.
Think of Neumann m50 and why it was and is used for Decca three?

Matti
Old 21st June 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosilegecko View Post
I was pointing it straight at the tom head, but since the bottom was also being pointed at the head, it was picking it up just fine.

Now I'm having really bad bleeding problems, especially from the cymbals directly overhead each tom.

Settings are: Hypercardiod, -20 pad enabled.
Move the Mic
or
Move the Cymbals
or
Move the Tom
or
Tell the player to play the Tom Harder
or
Tell the player to play the cymbals softer

I use this mic on floor tom all the time. If the drummer is skilled, you should be able to make it work with a little repositioning.
Old 21st June 2009
Gear Addict
And remember that hyper pattern has a rear lobe, the max nulls are at about 130, not 180.

Fran
Old 22nd June 2009
Les
Lives for gear

One thing I like is the continously variable pattern control. It's not just a switch. I can point the two nulls anywhere from 90 degrees to 180 just by turning the knob.

Les
L M Watts Technology
Old 23rd June 2009
Here for the gear

outstanding advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Rose View Post
Move the Mic
or
Move the Cymbals
or
Move the Tom
or
Tell the player to play the Tom Harder
or
Tell the player to play the cymbals softer

I use this mic on floor tom all the time. If the drummer is skilled, you should be able to make it work with a little repositioning.
That def works for me. I have my drummer play his toms harder and cymbals soft. Didn't take him very long to adjust and get comfortable (but everyone's different). Not only is the bleed issue much better, but the tonality of the toms and cymbals obviously changes as well (and works really well for our particular music/room... maybe for yours too?). If he doesn't mind, move those cymbals higher too (might change the amount of cymbals in your overheads, but if he's playing softer... maybe not... def give it a try).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search