The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Help Me Build a Vocal Booth in My One-Room Studio!
Old 20th June 2009
Here for the gear

Help Me Build a Vocal Booth in My One-Room Studio!

All right. So here's the deal. I'm completely revamping my entire "studio space" since it is absolutely horrible and I wish to create a higher quality of music. Along with this, I will shortly be purchasing an NT2-A. But what's the point of having a decent mic without a decent place to record?!

Therefore, I would like to invite you to join me on an epic journey in creating a customized, cheap vocal booth. I know very little about acoustics, which is why I ask for your help, here.

My room has wood floors and is acoustically horrendous. I am hoping to record my vocals in this new "booth" as well as my acoustic guitar and amplifiers. They don't all have to fit in there, but I should be able to move them into it and have sufficient playing space. However, the booth has to fit inside the room. It can't BE the room. I need space for my audio equipment, computers, etc. This is why it can't take up TOO much space.

The room is approximately 132" by 112". The long wall is labeled A, the short wall is labeled B. The space where I am considering putting it (since there are windows and other obstructions) is labeled C.

Help Me Build a Vocal Booth in My One-Room Studio!-img_0496.jpg
Help Me Build a Vocal Booth in My One-Room Studio!-img_0497.jpg
Help Me Build a Vocal Booth in My One-Room Studio!-img_0498-1.jpg

What I am thinking is to simply get 2-3 boards and a door (or something) and making a little separate room from the rest of the place.

However! There is a bit of a problem. As seen in picture D, there is some weird glass thing that is connected to the other room (darnit). This is 34 inches away from the other wall. I am thinking about either stopping the construction at this point on that wall or building around it (so the vocal booth includes some glass or ALL of the glass!).

Help Me Build a Vocal Booth in My One-Room Studio!-img_0501.jpg

So. If you have read all this and are interested in helping little old me, what should I do?! I have no idea on how to even get started. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Byron
Old 20th June 2009
Lives for gear

If you get 2 large panels that can easily be moved you can makeshift a vocal ''booth'' in the corner and maybe a sE refelctions filter or similar (lot's of them on the net)

If you really want a complete isolation if insturments are being played in the main room you are just going to have to get a professional job done TBH or build an ACTUAL booth which is permanent, there will always be a bit of bleed unless you overdub.

Personally I would treat the room and record vocals in that open space but with carpet and maybe some stuff put up to get rid of bad reflections and then a reflections filter too....

My 2 cents
Old 20th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrislpp View Post
Personally I would treat the room and record vocals in that open space but with carpet and maybe some stuff put up to get rid of bad reflections and then a reflections filter too....
My 2 cents
...+1

...poorly designed sound booths can be too dead sounding...better to treat, use a mic baffle and blankets, etc...

...this works great in combo with some modest treatment for me:
SM Pro Audio MicThing Microphone Isolator w/ Stand (White)
SM Pro Audio | Mic Thing Portable Microphone Isolati | MTG | B&H
Old 20th June 2009
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronT View Post
I would like to invite you to join me on an epic journey in creating a customized, cheap vocal booth. I know very little about acoustics, which is why I ask for your help, here.
This might help give you a different but useful perspective:

Do I really need a vocal booth?

--Ethan
Old 21st June 2009
Here for the gear

I read that! Thank you very much, it was very insightful. Maybe I will end up just recording in the open space. Are there anyways to soundproof my room or an area for under like $100?
Old 21st June 2009
Lives for gear

you probably will get more help in the studio construction forum. Start thinking about ventilation before you start.
Old 21st June 2009
Lives for gear

I bet you get better performances out of a closet. Btw. the suggested phase canseling way works sometimes but don´t move anything, a pot or a mic or people even.

Matti
Old 21st June 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATTI View Post
I bet you get better performances out of a closet. Btw. the suggested phase canseling way works sometimes but don´t move anything, a pot or a mic or people even.

Matti
Don't ever record in a closet!
Old 21st June 2009
Lives for gear

I bet you get better performances out of a closet;
edit: I bet you get better performances if you out of a out of a closet
- language barrier, sorry -lol-

Matti
Old 21st June 2009
Quote:
I bet you get better performances out of a closet;
edit: I bet you get better performances if you out of a out of a closet
- language barrier, sorry -lol-

Matti
Hey it's ok, no worries!
Old 21st June 2009
Lives for gear

-I know some friends who have come out of the closet but cannot sing exept
some terrible karaoke

Matti
Old 21st June 2009
Quote:
-I know some friends who have come out of the closet but cannot sing exept
some terrible karaoke

Matti
Do you mean came out in a gay way? I'm really confused
Old 21st June 2009
Lives for gear

Yep. Not me though

Matti

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search