The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Need help from you guys!!
Old 16th August 2005
Gear Head

Question Need help from you guys!!

Hi All.

I'm a new slut on the scene!! I run a small Commercial Production facility making radio adverts for a number of UK stations. I also use the studio for my own compositions and remixes.

My current set up is a G5 dual 1.8 running both Logic and Pro Tools through a Digi002r. Although all my mixing is done In The Computer I use a Yamaha 02R V2 for monitoring routing and talkbalk. The 02R is fitted with 2 ADAT Cards, one of which I use for 8 I/O Via the 002r.

Now, I only really have a small studio and the O2R is taking up far too much room, Like I say I only use it for monitoring, routing and talkbalk, so half of the features are redundant to me and I am also aware that it's not the best sounding desk I could be using. Infact I think its very harsh sounding!!

I am thinking of replacing the O2R with the Mackie Onyx 1640. Does anyone have anything to say about this? Do you think its a good move, or could you maybe recomend a better alternative. The one thing I like about the 1640 is that its rack mountable!!

I know that If I sell the 02R now i will probably get what I paid for it (£1250) but if I leave it much longer its really going to decrease in value! I don't need the built in FX it provides as I have everthing I need in plugins and outboard, and I've never used the automation once! It just seems like overkill in features, and not upto scratch in sound quality!! My budget is what I get for the desk.

Thanks guys.

P.S. I love this forum!!! It's great! thumbsup
Old 16th August 2005
How about a Cranesong Avocet?

(do a search here)
Old 16th August 2005
Gear Head

To be honest I'd rather stick to a desk with faders. Reason being that I will also be using the desk to send either a microphone signal or a guitar/bass DI to my mac, or a stereo feed to and from my ISDN codec so I really need at least six inputs and at least four outs (two going to to a head phone splitter in the V/O Booth, and two going to the ISDN codec to send program material). Could the crane song route all this for me.
Old 16th August 2005
Whoops - didnt realise you needed faders...

you dont want the control 8 for the Digi rack module?

I am not being much help here.

Anyone?

Old 16th August 2005
Gear Head

No, you're trying to help and thats great, thanks.., do you have any experience with the Mackie Onyx?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search