The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Newbie question most will probably know the answer!
Old 19th June 2009
Gear Nut

Newbie question most will probably know the answer!

Hey fellow slutterz basically i'm looking at getting an m-powered rig with the fast track ultra 8r! i feel ashamed to ask this but the fast track is acting as my pre-amp yes? it's also acting as an external soundcard? or am i need of buying some kind of soundcard like an motu 828mkII? i get confused easily with set ups! and it's also my ad/da converter yes?

Apologies i'm young and new trying to learn absolutely everything to a tee!
Old 19th June 2009
Gear Maniac

Yes, the Fast Track Ultra 8R has eight preamps (hence 8 XLR inputs), is your A/D converter, is your interface; technically a sound card. You can have your eight mics straight in, or 1/4" from say a mixer or channel strips, and you can have eight line outs, plus the MIDI/SPDIF, Inserts (I have no idea what they do though, although I'm getting one so I'll know soon), the headphone outs, and the lines on the front. I'm not too sure what the front two do or what the switches do, but I have never had one. I will though soon (maybe).
Old 19th June 2009
Gear Nut

didnt mean to ask about pre amps lol i got that covered thanks all i needed to know!
Old 19th June 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofutch View Post
didnt mean to ask about pre amps lol i got that covered thanks all i needed to know!
Yes, everything you mentioned there is what it is. It's all you need, obviously with microphones, monitors and a computer, and you're completely set, and need no more (that doesn't mean you shouldn't get more though heh)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search