The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Familiar with the Nady RSM-8a Ribbon Mic?
Old 18th June 2009
Here for the gear

Familiar with the Nady RSM-8a Ribbon Mic?

I am looking to buy a RSM-8a because I am interested in getting a ribbon mic but don't have the cash for a pre-amp as well. Has anyone actually used one? How do they compare to other similar low cost ribbon mics?
Old 18th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by escamuel View Post
I am looking to buy a RSM-8a because I am interested in getting a ribbon mic but don't have the cash for a pre-amp as well. Has anyone actually used one? How do they compare to other similar low cost ribbon mics?
The Nady ribbons are decent, but they still require a preamp. I'm a little confused by your post...you have a preamp already, right?

Frank
Old 19th June 2009
Here for the gear

I just use my Alesis multimix8 as a preamp, it has phantom power which the 8a uses. The 8a is a "active" ribbon mic so it is pretty different from your normal ribbon mic of which have been discussed at length here. I was just wondering if anyone had used the RSM-8a or another similar active ribbon mic and could describe the character and tonal quality of it for me and weather it is worth the $175 price tag.
Old 19th June 2009
Lives for gear

another solution you can consider it to go with a well known passive ribbon (anything from a cascade fathead II to a royer r-121, etc) and couple it with one of the new tritonaudio FETHEAD modules. the fethead adds about +20dB of gain, stabilizes the impedence, and uses phantom power just like an active ribbon mic model. the fet head can also be used with low gain dynamic mics to good effect.
Old 19th June 2009
Here for the gear

That looks like a viable option, however at $99 it does not seem as cost effective. I guess no one has any experience with the RSM-8a or another "active" ribbon mic?
Old 6th July 2009
Here for the gear

So I got the Nady RSM-8a and it sounds amazing. I only have a shure 57 and a ATM41a to compare it with but it blows them out of the water in every possible aspect. It is significantly louder than them as well which is nice.
Old 29th December 2010
Here for the gear

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by escamuel View Post
So I got the Nady RSM-8a and it sounds amazing. I only have a shure 57 and a ATM41a to compare it with but it blows them out of the water in every possible aspect. It is significantly louder than them as well which is nice.

=========================

Well, I am considering the purchase of a RSM-8A, myself. Have you used it enough by now, so as to get a more solid oppinion about its merits and/or failures?
Thank you very much in advance for any thoughts.
Sincerely, Fernando
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

After getting a pair of Karma silver bullets & being impressed I very ercently got one of the K6 ribbon mics.
So far so good. It looks a bit *bling* but does a very decent job for the money and has a reasonable level of output, especially for a ribbon mic.

Only tried it on vox (not at all bad) and a little acoustic bass (very nice indeed - better than any of my current condensers) so I cant say a lot yet.

But judging by the way all budget ribbon prices are slowly creeping upwards, I would say the market is growing.

And the Nady does come with quite a lot of positive grass roots comment so far.

I`ll let you know how I get on with the Karma once Xmas and New years are out of the way.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
After getting a pair of Karma silver bullets & being impressed
Really? I got a pair and hate them. LOL! I tried them as drum overheads, and didn't like them. Tried them in X-Y on acoustic guitar, and didn't like them.

Heard good things about the pencil condensers though (K10 I think they're called), but never used them myself.

I have a pair of Nady RSM-4 ribbons and LOVE them. I removed the inner mesh and nylon screen covering the ribbon motor and retentioned the ribbons. They are awesome as drum overheads...HUGE tom sounds, great cymbal definition without the cymbals sounding harsh...If you don't have a big budget, they're a great way to go.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search