The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Electro-Voice RE-200
Old 17th June 2009
  #1
Lives for gear
 
DamnYankee's Avatar
 

Electro-Voice RE-200

Hi All,

I'm looking for a cheap pair of SDCs. Has anyone used these? I see they receive very nice reviews, and they have a nice bump at 3-4k.

Thanks in advance,

DY
Old 17th June 2009
  #2
Gear Addict
 
Ry-Fi's Avatar
 

"I'll let you in on a secret: it's rarely the gear - it's the engineer.

You can give the best engineers in here a cheapo Mackie board, chinese mics, and 3630 compressors and cheap-o reverbs and they'll make a helluva sounding record. These guys are great because they learn every nuance of their art. And they devote their life to practicing and reading.

Start your mic locker and get the basic mics you need. You can always sell 'em and upgrade to a better brand later. " - DamnYankee @ Ry-Fi

Old 17th June 2009
  #3
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry-Fi View Post

Start your mic locker and get the basic mics you need. You can always sell 'em and upgrade to a better brand later.

He's skipping that part.
Old 17th June 2009
  #4
Gear Addict
 
Ry-Fi's Avatar
 

Then you obviously missed the thread where I was asking for opinions on certain E-V microphones, and DamnYankee gave me that EXACT reply. I copied and pasted it, and fed it back to him.

Nice to see that condescending/useless nature of that reply is caught when I feed it back to him, but not when he first gave it to me when I was asking for valuable opinions on certain pieces of gear....

Old 17th June 2009
  #5
Lives for gear
 
DamnYankee's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry-Fi View Post
"I'll let you in on a secret: it's rarely the gear - it's the engineer.

You can give the best engineers in here a cheapo Mackie board, chinese mics, and 3630 compressors and cheap-o reverbs and they'll make a helluva sounding record. These guys are great because they learn every nuance of their art. And they devote their life to practicing and reading.

Start your mic locker and get the basic mics you need. You can always sell 'em and upgrade to a better brand later. " - DamnYankee @ Ry-Fi

I got to hand it to ya...that was pretty damn funny!!! I was wonderin' when you were going to pay me back.
Old 18th June 2009
  #6
Gear Addict
 
Ry-Fi's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamnYankee View Post
I got to hand it to ya...that was pretty damn funny!!! I was wonderin' when you were going to pay me back.
Thank you, sincerely, for accepting this in good spirits! You just made me smile and feel warm and fuzzy, and I realllly needed that.

I'm doubtless that no offense at all was meant when you offered your sage advice, and at the time it was taken in stride. Lately, life's been kicking me in the balls fairly swiftly, and beaten and bruised, I've needed to feel a bit of revenge towards the forces oppressing me. When I saw your post that eerily echoed my query to which you replied, I was maliciously bemused to know I could exact revenge towards the universe in the most perfect of ways.

However, this boorish act of retribution did nothing to lift my spirits; what did lift them was your candid and spirited acknowledgement and acceptance of the situation. Thank you so much for that, you've really made my day! No hard feelings at all, man.

Now let's get this ridiculousness out of the way and let's start talking about gear, dammit! Hopefully someone can provide some feedback on these mics.
Old 18th June 2009
  #7
Lives for gear
 
DamnYankee's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry-Fi View Post
Thank you, sincerely, for accepting this in good spirits! You just made me smile and feel warm and fuzzy, and I realllly needed that.

I'm doubtless that no offense at all was meant when you offered your sage advice, and at the time it was taken in stride. Lately, life's been kicking me in the balls fairly swiftly, and beaten and bruised, I've needed to feel a bit of revenge towards the forces oppressing me. When I saw your post that eerily echoed my query to which you replied, I was maliciously bemused to know I could exact revenge towards the universe in the most perfect of ways.

However, this boorish act of retribution did nothing to lift my spirits; what did lift them was your candid and spirited acknowledgement and acceptance of the situation. Thank you so much for that, you've really made my day! No hard feelings at all, man.

Now let's get this ridiculousness out of the way and let's start talking about gear, dammit! Hopefully someone can provide some feedback on these mics.
Actually, that post was meant to be funny...but unfortunately words on a screen don't impart vocal inflections.

And always remember 2 things:

1. Time washes away everything.

2. Every day above ground IS a good day!

Keep yer chin up.

Now, how 'bout a serious reply to my post??? Ever use the RE-200???

DY
Old 18th June 2009
  #8
Lives for gear
Ok, I have the RE200. It's a very weird and unique sounding mic. I have not done much with it to be honest, but I imagine on the right source and in the right situation there would be NOTHING to match it. However, it would not be my 'go to' mic. It's a mic that needs experimenting with until it's use is discovered and I have not had time or the need to to do that.

Apparently it was designed to record choirs at a distance, so may be great at capturing a 'live' sound?

If you are low on mics, I would leave it alone, but if you have most of your bases covered and want something 'different', then jump on it.

This is a mic I wish some of these expert engineers would talk about more, as I'm sure in the right hands it would be a little gem.

I got mine very cheap and will never regret the purchase. I lust after an RE2000 still. I have the lovely RE1000
Old 18th June 2009
  #9
Lives for gear
 
DamnYankee's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
Ok, I have the RE200. It's a very weird and unique sounding mic. I have not done much with it to be honest, but I imagine on the right source and in the right situation there would be NOTHING to match it. However, it would not be my 'go to' mic. It's a mic that needs experimenting with until it's use is discovered and I have not had time or the need to to do that.

Apparently it was designed to record choirs at a distance, so may be great at capturing a 'live' sound?

If you are low on mics, I would leave it alone, but if you have most of your bases covered and want something 'different', then jump on it.

This is a mic I wish some of these expert engineers would talk about more, as I'm sure in the right hands it would be a little gem.

I got mine very cheap and will never regret the purchase. I lust after an RE2000 still. I have the lovely RE1000

Thanks for the heads up. I've never heard any of these and I can't find the RE-200 locally.

I have a pair of modded MXL 603s and a pair of EV RE55s for acoustic stuff and I'd like to upgrade however to spring the kind of jack wanted nowadays for a pair of KM-84s is nothing less than eye-popping. And $1k for a pair of Beyerdynamic MC930's are eyebrow raising as well. There's always the standard Shure SM-81s...

Thanks again,

DY
Old 18th June 2009
  #10
Lives for gear
Why not look in to a pair of Peluso CM6's or Groove Tubes GT66's? They may do you well. Or even a modded pair of the little Octava's. I have an standard pair and a pair of GT55's and they are great mics.

The Rec 5's are meant to be good bang for the buck too.
Old 19th June 2009
  #11
Lives for gear
 
DamnYankee's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
Why not look in to a pair of Peluso CM6's or Groove Tubes GT66's? They may do you well. Or even a modded pair of the little Octava's. I have an standard pair and a pair of GT55's and they are great mics.

The Rec 5's are meant to be good bang for the buck too.
The GT66s and 55s are LDCs and I have those covered with Neumanns and AKG C414s.

I haven't listened to the CM6's...aren't they rather bright like the KM184's & AKG 451's?
Old 22nd June 2009
  #12
Lives for gear
Sorry

I meant the GT44's. I have the 33's. I actually do have a GT55 also.

I have not used the Peluso's but I don't think they are bright from what i have heard about them. I would like a pair myself.
Old 22nd June 2009
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Phil Cibley's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamnYankee View Post
and they have a nice bump at 3-4k.



DY

What's so nice about a bump at 3K? IMO it tends to make things sound
brittle and thin.
Old 16th March 2011
  #14
Gear Addict
RE200 as a vocal mic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
Ok, I have the RE200. It's a very weird and unique sounding mic. I have not done much with it to be honest, but I imagine on the right source and in the right situation there would be NOTHING to match it. However, it would not be my 'go to' mic. It's a mic that needs experimenting with until it's use is discovered and I have not had time or the need to to do that.
I know it's an old thread but I just thought I'd fill in a couple of gaps.

Just got an Re200 based on the SOS review .... cost me $100 on ebay and came from Fargo, ND (a place which has probably never recovered from a visit by the Coen Brothers).

I also bought a crosshair pencil mic shockmount with built in pop filter from Hong Kong, like the ones that come with the Cad E70.... cost me $20.

I've been looking for a vocal mic to suit my voice and based on the two links below I decided to try this Re200. It is great on my vocal ( a high baritone ???)

This is me singing in a pub using the AT MB 3000L (another unsung hero in my arsenal)

YouTube - Blackheath by Mike Norton

Also this one with another AT mic:

YouTube - Killing the Blues - performed by Mike Norton

So if your voice is maybe similar range/timbre I would recommend the RE200 for studio use.... It may suit a whole lot of voices. ...Highly recommended.

I also tried it on my Ac. Guitar and it was pretty good but I still prefer some other mics for that.


Electrovoice RE1000, RE2000 & RE200

http://www.careysound.com/downloads/...rmicdrawer.pdf

This is from the SOS review.

"But the big surprise was the relatively inexpensive RE200 which, when compared to the RE1000, sounded very similar indeed, hence my decision to include it in the review -- I wonder if they use a variation on the same capsule? There's slightly more presence from the RE200, as its frequency plot would lead you to expect, but the underlying warmth and thickness of tone is undiminished. I think the RE200, if used with a pop shield, would make an excellent vocal mic, as well as an instrument mic ."
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump