The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Step by Step-surround mixing in Pro Tools LE. Audio Interfaces
Old 15th August 2005
Lives for gear

Step by Step-surround mixing in Pro Tools LE.

thumbsup thumbsup

Quote:
Step by Step: You’re just steps away from surround mixing in Pro Tools LE.

http://www.eqmag.com/story.asp?secti...storycode=4599

1. Connect your interface to your surround speakers. Route outs 1/2 to front left/right,
out 3 to center, out 4 to sub, and outs 5/6 to rear left/right.

2. In Pro Tools, go Setups > I/O Setup. Create four paths. Label one “Front,” make it
stereo, assign to out 1 and 2. Label one “Center,” make it mono, assign to out 3. Label one “Sub,”
make it mono, assign to out 4. Label the last one “Rear,” make it stereo, assign to outs 5 and 6.

3. Create four master faders, two stereo and two mono. Label the stereo ones “Front” and “Rear,”
label the mono ones “Center” and “Sub.”

4. Assign the master faders to the paths that match their names. Now any tracks that you route
to the various master faders will feed the respective speaker(s) in your surround rig.

5. Group the four master faders.

6. Assign your tracks to the masters. I assign the main track outs to Front, then create three
sends on each channel: one each for Center, Sub, and Rear. Make sure the sends are pre-fader.

7. If you raise a track’s fader, it will come up in front, and can be panned as normal. Raise
a send, and the track will come up in the corresponding speaker or sub. By balancing the fader
and the sends, you can pan anywhere in the surround field.

Tips You can change the output or send assignment for all tracks at once by holding Option while
you change the assignment for any track. Moving pans can be done using automation to simultaneously
increase and decrease complementary levels and pans. Level changes for tracks sent to more than one
speaker may require automation to adjust multiple sends simultaneously.

Old 15th August 2005
Lives for gear

That's really cool... But how do you bounce to disk when you're done?? Don't you only have a choice of one stereo output at that point?
Old 15th August 2005
Lives for gear

i was looking for that too.
Old 16th August 2005
Lives for gear

all i do is make subs of every thing first. then i have the subs feed outs to master. then i also have it feed outs to channels that have there output assigned to the adat out. so now i have mirror image of the main outs in the adat outs. plug that into another adat connection or back into the adat in on the 001/002 make six new channels with their inputs adat 1-6 and arm them for record. play back the song and you get a mix. it still has to be encoded. if you plug the adat out into the adat in make sure you use an external clock source from a spdif device it works a lot better. also works going analog but then you go through an extra ad/da conversion. the draw back to the adat trick is that you can only use sample rates up too 48k.
Old 10th June 2007
Here for the gear

New 5.1 Mixing Plug-in For Pro Tools LE

Here is a new way to mix surround in Pro Tools LE / M-Powered:

www.neyrinck.com

Mix51 is a set of powerful 5.1 surround panning and mixing RTAS plug-ins that allow you to take advantage of any Pro Tools system with six or more outputs such as Mbox 2 Pro, Digi 002/003, or M-Audio interfaces such as the Delta 1010 or FireWire 410

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search