The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Another difference to matter?
Old 14th August 2005
Gear Nut

Enough difference to matter?

I'm currently in the process of building my project studio, and there are some pieces that I'm just not too sure about (compressor and mic pre).

I'm really wondering if there is ENOUGH difference getting the more expensive one would be the better buy in the long run in terms of usability and quality. I had my heart set on the Great River ME-1NV, but now I'm starting to think maybe I shouldn't get such an expensive 1 channel pre, and have considered the RNP 2 channel. Also for the compressor: I've thought about getting the Distressor, but have heard that the RNC is good enough and it's about a grand LESS.

Keep in mind, the mics I will probably be using will probably be a RODE NTK or an AKG 414 (haven't decided which or another). Any guidance on what I should do? Should I get the cheaper compressor/pre and put that other money into other things, or should I just shell out the bucks?

EDIT: The type of music will vary, but will stay in the realm of: rock, acoustic rock, and my own version of hip-hop.

EDIT #2: Also, the other pieces of the chain would be a Lynx L22 for the A/D-D/A, Dynaudio Bm6a for the monitors, Cubase 3.0 for the DAW, and I already mentioned mics.
Old 14th August 2005
Gear Guru

Do you have some sort of small mixer, or other pres? One channel even for one guy working at home seems to be a bit 'light' to me. If it were me I'd look for two or more channels. I'd probably but the Sytek four channel. I have a Neotek Elan console and I'm a big fan of the pres in the console. Mike from Neotek/Sytek told me that the Sytek is a bit faster, and that is attractive to me. A friend that had an Elan and the Sytek at the same time sold the Sytek because he thought it was redundant.

The RNC is great and really flexible. You could get one of those and a couple groovy used compressors for flexibility. Of course Distressors and a staple these days...
Old 15th August 2005
Gear Nut

With the setup I mentioned (Cubase, Lynx L22 A/D-D/A, RNC, Great River ME-1NV, RODE NTK mic, Dynaudio Bm6a), how do I set up a headphone system? Where would I hook this up?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search