The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
hardware
Old 13th August 2005
Lives for gear

hardware

I use Ableton Live 5 and a host of really good VST's (equalizers, compressors, reverb, delay and the like). I find that using those VST's live is not the best (latency, etc.)
Now, my live is merely playing with others in my studio for the moment.
I would like to add a little more hardware, though, because I would like to get a little better sound when playing live (especially with the voice and taking out certain frequencies and smoothing out the plug-in acoustic Martin).
I would like to limit things to the $300 range for each item.
I use effects on my Mackie DFX6 and use the PODXT Live's effects for guitar.
I also have a preamp (that works well enough)--Presonus Blue Tube DP.
I have an Edirol UA25.
What would be my best next investment?
A two channel compressor/gate, a parametric equalizer, a 31 band equalizer, or something that combines? I don't want to go cheap but don't want to spend too much on something that will just end up being limited because of the lack of expense of my other equipment.
Any recommendations? I was leaning toward stuff from Joe Meek or the Bellari RP583 (or the dbx 1066) and then a 31 band (or the Massenburg 5-band parametric ).
Should I waste my money on this stuff or just rely on the VST's and deal with the latency? Would a better investment be upgrading my preamp from that Blue Tube DP?
Old 13th August 2005
krs
Lives for gear

Not to be snippy, but why are you tracking/practicing with all that DSP engaged?

First thing to look at is that plug in Martin. Try it out with some mics (this can also create some problems if you're room isn't sounding great). I would improve your signal path before throwing eq's and compressors at your problem - ie get a sound you like to start with.

Blue Tube is ok, I reckon you'd be better off with Mackie Onyx (used the BT only a couple of times, so that's just an impression).

Good luck
Old 13th August 2005
Lives for gear

Martin

I think my Martin is the least of my problems, actually. The sound is optimized, but sometimes the transients are bit too much, thus my thought about compression. I have not microphoned the Martin yet. The sound has been good enough for me not to want to go this route yet. (Although I have made some attempts to mic my Fender Super Reverb for the electric.)
The Martin has microphone in the hollow and allows you to blend that with the pickup. The sound is pretty good. It seems that there are a couple undesirable frequencies that I just haven't been able to get rid of with the minimal equalizer options on the Mackie and the bass/treble/contour on the Martin.
Vocals are more the limiting factor.
Are you saying that I should replace the Mackie DFX6 with the Onyx because of the superior preamps versus just getting a separate preamp that is better than the Blue Tube DP?
What I've been considering is the Joe Meek TwinQ or threeQ.
Old 13th August 2005
krs
Lives for gear

I haven't tried any of those pres (other the Presonus BT).

Lose the old Mackie, get the Onyx and forget about getting external pres. Once again if you are not happy how the Martin is sounding, figure it out. My money says you should be micing it.

Old 14th August 2005
Lives for gear

Onyx pre

I guess I'm just looking at my mixer as something that communicates between a preamp and my studio monitors. You think I could do better with preamps within a mixer versus just getting a preamp channel or twin channels. I hadn't considered that. I just got the mixer in the last year.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search