The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Just picked up a Yamaha mla8 for $250! Audio Interfaces
Old 11th June 2009
Gear Head

Just picked up a Yamaha mla8 for $250!

Woot! It will make a valuable addition to my proto-studio.
Old 11th June 2009
Lives for gear

Congrats! Good score.
Old 11th June 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by omtayslick View Post
Congrats! Good score.
It will augment my i88x. Next is a couple channels of decent DI and a couple more mics (I have an SM 57 and a SP C1).
Old 11th June 2009
Lives for gear

haha... I thought about bidding on that - congrats!
Old 11th June 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
haha... I thought about bidding on that - congrats!
Ha! Ebay's not all bad!
Old 15th March 2019
Gear Guru

Want to bump this thread for 2019.

I just picked up my second MLA8 for $200, the first one was $250. There are a ton on ebay right now in this price range.

I use them for drums exclusively. I find them to be a little bit better than my interface preamps, and I like having front panel hardware control of phantom power, high pass filter, pad, and gain per channel, which hardly any interface can match.

The drum sounds I've been getting are very good. I think the only real improvement would be high end preamps per-channel, which would be drastically more expensive. Or maybe just nice pres for kick, snare, and overheads. I am using 9 channels for drums currently, but I like the option to add more mics.

Here's a picture of my "mini console" or preamp rack. 500 series preamps are currently used for everything else other than drums. FiveFish will be for sale soon. "VP512" are my favorite preamps of all time and have been here in service for years. Lunchbox will hopefully be expanded in the coming months.
Attached Thumbnails
Just picked up a Yamaha mla8 for 0!-2019-03-13-18.36.57.jpg  
Old 15th March 2019
Gear Guru

Here is what they look like on the inside. I am a big fan of the Yamaha build quality, these will be fairly easy to service, if ever needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Just picked up a Yamaha mla8 for 0!-2019-03-13-17.26.34.jpg  
Old 15th March 2019
Gear Head

Thanks for the good word on these units. I was thinking about getting them for drum duties. Glad to hear they perform well. At $200 it's hard to pass up. Do you use a mixer for headphone feeds or just route headphone mixes in software?
Old 15th March 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Steeze View Post
Thanks for the good word on these units. I was thinking about getting them for drum duties. Glad to hear they perform well. At $200 it's hard to pass up. Do you use a mixer for headphone feeds or just route headphone mixes in software?
The used price on these MLA8 is ridiculous! I think a big part of my fascination with these is the value for money. It comes out to about $25 per channel. Which is "crazy" for a preamp that sounds as good.

My headphone mix for drums is very mildly complicated. I run an output from my Drawmer MC2.1 to an SM Pro headphone amp in the other room, which is set up next to the drum kit. I use Shure in-ear monitors while tracking drums to reduce the SPL going to my ears. It works pretty well since I can still hear everything that I need to, well enough anyway, without damaging my hearing. The main upgrade for this system would be buying some more expensive in ears. The ones I have are the basic single driver $100 model.

If I needed to record a group I would have to send multiple feeds from my Presonus Quantum interface rig down the snake to the headphone amp. In that case I would be doing my headphone mixes inside of Cubase most likely. I'm not sure how I would set that up, because I've never done it. Possibly a standard rough mix with a "more me" channel for each person since the SM pro headphone amp has channels for that. Or possibly a custom headphone mix for each person, using Aux sends in Cubase. Cubase also has "Control Room" features available that I have neglected to learn, which may come in handy?
Old 13th April 2019
Here for the gear
I just picked up a MLA8 on Ebay for $190 to pair with a RedNet A16R I also got for stupid cheap. Just arrived this morning. Cant wait to drop it in my rack and run it through it's paces!
Old 13th April 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by msuscorpio View Post
I just picked up a MLA8 on Ebay for $190 to pair with a RedNet A16R I also got for stupid cheap. Just arrived this morning. Cant wait to drop it in my rack and run it through it's paces!
I'll be curious to hear what you find.

I think they sound like darn decent preamps. Not as much sheen, color, or even resolution as high end pres, but better than most budget interface pres, cheap pres, stuff like that. Somewhere in the middle.
Old 13th April 2019
Here for the gear
Bummer, my DB25 cable wont be here until monday...
Old 14th April 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
I'll be curious to hear what you find.

I think they sound like darn decent preamps. Not as much sheen, color, or even resolution as high end pres, but better than most budget interface pres, cheap pres, stuff like that. Somewhere in the middle.
I really like Yamaha pres, hard to put your finger on, they are kind of soft without being dull or muddy. Pretty transparent and yet musical at the same time. I know I'm not making sense - as I said, hard to put your finger on - they just sound nice!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search