The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Help with getting an effect....
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

Help with getting an effect....

I have a song... where the guitars are doing a choppy riff with a moment of silince and the drums are in sync with the guitars and bass, hitting the floor tom and snare. etc. boom boom boom _______ with silence after it. This happens just before the solo, so it is not a huge part of the song.. I attached a sample.

The effect I want to get is, I want to bounce the drums, just for the snare/tom hits and get a HUGE massive earth shaking rumble out of them that carries into the slience, but not sure where to start. Anyone have any ideas what I can do? I am working in PT and ITB, I do have some amps I could run it out through to add some distortion. Is that how to go about it? Add distortion and a huge sounding reverb?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 12th August 2005
Gear Addict

you could try this for some crazy low end/sup type rumble...

set up a kick drum with two full single ply skins (ambassador weight, no ports) (and the bigger the bassdrum, the better) and tune it so you get some tone but lots of slow vibrations in the skin, i'd say lower than an actual note. close mic it with whatever you may fancy... we used a 421 and a 414. strike softly with a soft mallet... like a concert bass drum mallet. this gives it almost no attack but lots of eerie low end rumble. you overdub it live or just stick it where you need to as a sample.

its just one trick, hope it helps.

-will
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

Great tip against88. I will see if I can get the drummer to record this for me, since I didn't record the drums at my place. Lets say I can't though, are there some techniques (plugs and such) that one can apply to get the runmble? Or is it only done via recording it?

thanks
Old 12th August 2005

You could sample white or pink noise and LPF it at 50 Hz.....

-tINY

Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY

You could sample white or pink noise and LPF it at 50 Hz.....

-tINY

very interesting... I think that gives me a few ideas

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search