The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
room treatment
Old 11th August 2005
Gear Nut

room treatment

so i did a search on room treatment, spectrum analyzers and such and i'm not really finding what i'm looking for so i'd appreciate any help.

i'm looking to adjust my room to get some better monitoring. i guess i could just throw in some bass traps, acoustical foam and the such, but i have this feeling that i would be trying to fix something that has not been proven to be broken in the first place. and how do i know i've even positioned everything corretly. my room has carpet and a bed i'm using near-feild monitors (event 20/20 bas). my biggest concern is the mid-low to low frequencies. i've had a little problem with translatability of my mixes.

so my question is: can i buy a spectrum analyzer like say the phonic PAA2 and see what my major problem frequencies are, then try to fix the room with traps, foam and the such? i'm a recording hobbiest and i may move one day so i'm really not up to hiring a person to fix my room. the monitors are not ideal, but i have a "slutz list" that will need to be satisfied before i get new monitors.

how can i fix my room? are there other spectrum analyzers out there...mind you this is posted in low end for a reason.

thanks. any help is appreciated.

jeff
Old 11th August 2005

You can't analyze the response of a small room with and RTA. If you must do measurement, you need to do sweept sine or MLS response curves with 1/10th octive resolution or better.

Then, you'll probably want to measure reverberation and generate some waterfall plots.

And you'll need to do this for several listening positions and speaker placement options (maybe move the bed a few feet and try again).

Or, take some good advice and start by building a half dozen bass traps and see if it helps.

-tINY

Old 11th August 2005
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Jeff,

> can i buy a spectrum analyzer like say the phonic PAA2 <

As Tiny said, that's not going to help in the small rooms typically used these days for mixing. Though it would have been useful if you mentioned the size of your room.

Besides needing to assess the response to 1/10th octave (or finer), that's only half the problem. The other half is modal ringing and early reflections, and an RTA can't show you that. Even more to the point, it doesn't matter what you measure anyway, because the solution is always the same: broadband absorption that works well to as low a frequency as possible.

--Ethan
Old 11th August 2005
Gear Addict

You can guarantee a small room with no treatment does not sound good. Put up the bass traps LNRD from Auralex. Monitors also have alot to do with mixes not translating I am sure.

If you go to auralex down load the template they will tell you exactly what treatment needs to go where. I would trust them, buy the treatment and buy some killer monitors.---that is if that is what you want to do. Or you could analyze the room.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search