The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
DAT tapes
Old 10th August 2005
Gear Addict

DAT tapes

What is a good brand and spec of DAT tape to go for? looking to master down to it.

Thanks
Old 10th August 2005
Lives for gear

No idea where you are in the world but I've always used HHB DAT tapes available from Canford Audio
Old 10th August 2005
Lives for gear

My preference

I always thought Quantegy was considered the best (guess you can't get those anymore), followed by TDK. No offense to HHB or any other manufacturers. I've had some issues with errors developing on other brands I've used throughout the years. I'm currently in the process of printing all of my DATS to HD and doing a redundant backup of all the mixes.

Just curious, why DAT when most of the machines are 16 bit and you can mix to PC or Mac at 24?
Old 10th August 2005
One with big hooves

Years ago I was buying Sony PDP by the case and if my supplier was out of those I'd get HHB or Quanteg. Dic DAT's were the WORST and Maxell's always seemed iffy and would jam in some decks. Do yourself a favor and stay away from "data" tapes because they aren't compatible in all machines. Some decks, like the DA-30MkII won't even load them.
Old 11th August 2005
Lives for gear

Post avoid Sony

I will 2nd HHB. Avoid Sony DATs like the plague. They will stretch, shed, snap, clog your heads, etc.
Old 11th August 2005
Gear Addict

in reply to bloodstone, ive not used dat to much and want the hands on approach of using the desk to mix, i suppose i could of used another stereo format (yes heard the horror stories about DAT!) but im a beginner and want to dab my nose in all formats, methods and everything else that i can get my hands on. Never know, it might just be the format that suits me! Just bought my first protools rig!! 3 882 interfaces plus relevant cables for 235 GBP! YAY!

thanks
Old 11th August 2005
Lives for gear

Apogee made very good DAT tapes when I last bought that medium. I have a bunch to unload (sealed) if you want to try them.
Old 11th August 2005
Gear Addict

ok, where are u based? im in UK
Old 13th August 2005
Motown legend

The ONLY new DAT tape stock that has a reasonably low dropout rate is Fuji.

Parts for DAT machines are drying up to the point that I would be seriously considering moving anything recorded on DAT to something else while this is still possible.
Old 16th August 2005
Lives for gear
The last batch of DAT tapes that I bought were EMTEC 60 metre DDS tapes from PC World (UK readers will understand). They seemed fine - but then I've always treated my DAT tapes very very carefully and never had serious tape related problems with any decent make. I've had both my DAT machines eat tape but that was either down to the tape being loose in the shell or the usual Sony sloping mechanism problems.

I would add that I don't think that I've recorded anything to DAT for about 4 years and I wouldn't recommend doing so unless there is no alternative.

Cheers.

James.
Old 16th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie
ok, where are u based? im in UK
Sorry not to respond faster. I'm in Texas. I'll count how many tapes I have and PM you. They're just sitting in a DAT rack right now.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search