The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Question about the RME FF 800 & Octamic D
Old 9th August 2005
Here for the gear

Question about the RME FF 800 & Octamic D

I'm looking to be able to acheive 12 mic inputs for recording, I'm liking the FF800 for the pre amps and converters but was wondering if I attach (if possible, which I'm led to believe it is) an RME Octamic D will that give me the over all XLR inputs I need plus leaving me 6 TLR inputs to spare?

I'm new at this, and would appreciate any help I could get.

If that combo is not possible or advisable, anyone have any suggestions on how to acheive the total XLR and TLR inputs I'm looking for, for around $3000-$4000.
I would prefer to do it without bringing a mixer into picture if possible, since the mixing will be done on the computer, obviously.
Old 9th August 2005
More cowbell!

Even if you didnt use the mixing capabilities, I would still consider the Mackie Onyx line very seriously. It will cost you MUCH less, do more, sound as good or Better, and give you more power for the future. It would be a far simpler and overall more elegant solution to the problem.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Onyx1620/

cheers,

KT
Old 9th August 2005
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by natpub
Even if you didnt use the mixing capabilities, I would still consider the Mackie Onyx line very seriously. It will cost you MUCH less, do more, sound as good or Better, and give you more power for the future. It would be a far simpler and overall more elegant solution to the problem.

cheers,

KT
I'll check it out, thanks!
Old 9th August 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by natpub

cheers,

KT
Do you think the upcoming Onyx Firewire interface (the 400F) is going to sound better than the Fireface?

It's only going to be $700 .....of course much much less I/O's....but I could care less about that.
Old 9th August 2005
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldcan
I'm looking to be able to acheive 12 mic inputs for recording, I'm liking the FF800 for the pre amps and converters but was wondering if I attach (if possible, which I'm led to believe it is) an RME Octamic D will that give me the over all XLR inputs I need plus leaving me 6 TLR inputs to spare?
Yes, this is correct. The Octamic D connects via adat, giving you 12 pre's total, and 6 free TRS line inputs.
Old 17th January 2007
Gear Nut

I actually kinda have a simular question.

Wouldn't I benefit more from buying some real highclass pre-amps?
And an hi-end ad/da converter?
The only problem I see there is giving the musicians monitorfeedback.
Wouldn't I benefit more from only recording drums with 8 channels instead of 12 ?

I really don't use analog mixing, and if I WOULD use analog I would need around 50 channels to mix with. And buy a gigantic amount of compression units etc...
Old 17th January 2007
Gear Addict

Considering your budget, I think you might be better off with the fireface and an audient asp008 with the adat option. That way you'll get 8 fairly nice pres in the audient(which also has line inputs), 4 usable pres in the fireface, excellent routing, and room for more expansion. It would also be a portable rig that you could take anywhere with a laptop.
Old 30th July 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflexon View Post
Considering your budget, I think you might be better off with the fireface and an audient asp008 with the adat option. That way you'll get 8 fairly nice pres in the audient(which also has line inputs), 4 usable pres in the fireface, excellent routing, and room for more expansion. It would also be a portable rig that you could take anywhere with a laptop.
I think thsi is a good idea. I love my ASP008. I also have a Metric Halo 2882 that is pretty amazing in itself. If you did this it would be around $3500. You would get 8 channels from the ASP008, and 4 pres from the metric halo, plus 4 more line inputs from the MH, & a AES/EBU or SPDIF input/Output. So that would be 12 pres and and a potential for 18 channels.
Old 30th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedBy4056 View Post
4 pres from the metric halo, plus 4 more line inputs from the MH
Just to clarify, the 2882 has 8 preamps, not 4. All 8 inputs are useable as either mic or line and have P48.

Of course, this is a pretty dusty thread anyway...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search