The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
RTAS vs Direct X
Old 9th August 2005
Gear Nut

RTAS vs Direct X

I'm working with teh demo verison of pro tools m-powered with a delta 66 and I'd like to use my waves plugins. I have been told at the digi web site that they would work but I was not real clear about how. So far it looks like they won't work.

What's the deal with this?

Should I be able to find a way to use my Direct X Waves bundle in Pro Tools Le without upgrading at Waves plugins? I have no problem with them in Sonar.
Old 9th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Does your Waves install disk include RTAS versions? You'll need to install RTAS versions for them to work with protools- PT doesn't work with DirectX or VST .

I've been using protools M-Powered with a delta1010 with my VST plugins using FXpansions VST-RTAS adapter, and it's been working really well. There isn't an adapter for Dx to RTAS, though.
Old 10th August 2005
Lives for gear

so use Sonar....
Old 10th August 2005
Gear Maniac

VST plugs do work with Pro Tools if you use FXpansions VST-RTAS wrapper. It works great on almost all VST plug ins.

DirectX and RTAS are not better or worse then one another, just different formats. There are more DirectX plugs on the market, but it is an older standard. Newly released plugs seem to be moving away from DirectX in favor of VST and RTAS.
Old 11th August 2005
More cowbell!

sonar has a built in vst wrapper
Old 11th August 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by natpub
sonar has a built in vst wrapper
I know I can make VST plugins work in Sonar, what I really need to know is how do I make direct X plugs work in pro tools.
Old 11th August 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cultureofgreed
VST plugs do work with Pro Tools if you use FXpansions VST-RTAS wrapper. It works great on almost all VST plug ins.

DirectX and RTAS are not better or worse then one another, just different formats. There are more DirectX plugs on the market, but it is an older standard. Newly released plugs seem to be moving away from DirectX in favor of VST and RTAS.
Is there a wrapper for direct X into pro tools ?
Old 11th August 2005
More cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrock
Is there a wrapper for direct X into pro tools ?

Not that I am aware of, not Dx-->RTAS

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search