The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
settings for Kick
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

settings for Kick

I have been tracking without compression to my 8 track 5050. I just purchased a dbx 160x for my first compressor. We are doing a band this weekend that wants more of a pop type drum sound. I am thinking that means a good solid kick sound (to begin with).

Any suggestions on settings of the dbx?
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

i'm not fond of the 160 on vocals.. on a kick.. i'd never use a dbx 160 on a kick
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

the mic will make a MUCH larger difference than the compressor. for huge rock drums, try a sennheiser e602.

--jon
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

ok...so not on the kick. I have been getting a fine sound with a d12 and even some times with a ksm 44. I do have access to a distressor that I can borrow.

Would anyone use the dbx on any drum sounds at all? I know I just have to experiment with it, and it probly won't do to try it for a project this next weekend. I will have a couple hours with just the drummer so I am just looking for things to try. I explained to the band that I am a novice and that I don't like or more importantly have experience getting the sound I think they want. We will have a couple hours and if we can't get close to something that sounds more like the stuff they have shown me (Get Up Kids?), then we will default to what I know I am sucessful at.

they are super cool and want to experiment and learn so I am just trying to get some ideas to work with.

thanks again.
Old 9th August 2005
Gear Maniac

160x's used to be quite fashionable on drums..kik and snare. Mostly in a mix situation. Try it..you might like it.
Old 9th August 2005

For tailoring a Kick drum sound, a variable attack is almost manditory. I don't believe that the 160 has an adjustable attack.

-tINY

Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

I use a 160 on kik all the time and it sounds great if your just talking a few db's of reduction in hard knee mode.
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm
I use a 160 on kik all the time and it sounds great if your just talking a few db's of reduction in hard knee mode.
Yep.
It's pretty great on snare that way too.
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonCraig
the mic will make a MUCH larger difference than the compressor. for huge rock drums, try a sennheiser e602.

--jon
Ditto. If I can't borrow a U47FET, I go to the 602.

I don't track with compression but use a 160X from time to time on kick during mixdown just to get a little different tone.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search