The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
mogami vs. monster vs??
Old 4th February 2010

They've been measured and listened to... on long runs with higher impedance mics, there is a slight difference, but it's barely detectable in a blind study.

-tINY

Old 4th February 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelmossobrien View Post
Really? I trust the strain relief on the Neutrik connectors far more than the squirrelly Switchcraft method. I could lasso with a Neutrik XLR cable and never break my joints!

The back end of the Neutrik connectors is suseptible to crushing if run over by an amp rack (it's plastic, where the Switchcraft is all metal).

As far as the strain relief, I think they both would hold up to gauchos or cowboys, but the Switchcraft usually fits into the mic a little bit tighter. This is actually a disadvantage if you plug and unplug mics a lot.

-tINY

Old 4th February 2010
Gear Nut

Monster is a marketing company, not a cable company.

The fact that people pay Monster prices for the quality of cable they get from them is a testament to how good they are at that. Of course a general ignorance of physics seems to work quite well in Monster's favor.
Old 4th February 2010
Lives for gear

save your money.

this is the only ebay seller i have saved. the very best audio cables at the very best price... if something isn't to your standard he'll replace it, super fast shipping and unbelievable packaging.

i don't work for this guy. i just like to spread good info.. i'm also a huge fan of Future Retro as my posts will show. i like to support quality companies that offer great service for great prices.

seriously, if you can find better cables or cables of the same quality for cheaper let me know cause i'll gladly do business with them.

eBay Store - PROFESSIONAL AUDIO CABLES AND SOLUTIONS: MOGAMI CANARE BELDEN GEPCO, NEUTRIK SWITCHCRAFT CANARE AMPHENOL
Old 4th February 2010
Here for the gear

You can also take a look at Audiopile Pro Audio* Welcome to Audiopile - I've bought some stuff there. No complaints.
Old 4th February 2010
Gear Maniac

Mogami all the way !!!
Old 5th February 2010
Gear Nut

Never had any issues with my cheap whirlwind cables.
Old 5th February 2010
Here for the gear

I started working with Mogami cables and wire probably back in the early 80's (?). One thing I really like about their products is the quality of the wire - it's very easy to work with, solders well. Nice OFHC copper. I prefer Mogami's spiral wrapped shields to braided shields, again for ease during cable assembly.

Mogami used to make some really great miniature coaxial cable that was uber-flexible, used their OFHC copper. Great for wiring inside electronics that used unbalanced cable.

I also absolutely hate working with cables that use cotton threads or paper sheathing for filler - Canare??? (just a personal bias...) Mogami typically uses plastic threads - makes building your own cables a lot easier.

I've built a lot of snakes with Gepco cable for studios I wired for a radio station - multi-pair analog and AES cables. I like working with their insulation materials - stuff strips and cuts easily. They always had great pricing on Neutrik and Switchcraft connectors, too, especially if you are buying in bulk quantities.
Old 5th February 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY View Post

They've been measured and listened to... on long runs with higher impedance mics, there is a slight difference, but it's barely detectable in a blind study.

-tINY

Thank goodness someone with sense! This sound quality crap is very annoying and I blame Monster for this non-sense. All the cost ends up coming from shielding.
Old 5th February 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666666 View Post
The Mogami instrument cable specifically that performed the best was their "Platinum" cable, supposedly very expensive... I guess, like always, you get what you pay for. They also have a "Gold" cable that is less $$$, not much under the platinum in terms of performance, and still outperformed all other cables.
+1. I had at least one instrument cable of the following brands, so a few years ago I compared each of them. Using the same MIDI file, I ran the cable out of keyboard into a Fireface and recorded the result: Monster 100, 500, 1000, Spectraflex, ProCo, Belden, and Mogami Gold. I preferred Mogami. Waveforms didn't null.

Also heard a difference with Mogami for my speaker cables.

FWIW, probably any of them would have been OK on their own had they not been compared as only the ProCo was the cheapest thing.
Old 5th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmuse View Post
+1.....
It's interesting that I've been getting a lot of agreement to my earlier post. It's not too surprising actually since my studio pal and I did feel the difference was quite noticeable. But it's cool to see others are noticing the same things.

Again, the biggest difference we had noticed was with the Mogami Platinum instrument cable verses just about every other instrument cable out there that we could get our hands on. I don't care about technical specs, all I know is what I heard, and there was a very noticeable difference. The Mogami offered considerably more dynamics and detail, offered a way more "refined" sound verses the others.

By comparison, most others sounded more "compressed" and "stuffy". I will also mention that we were using a GML pre/DI for this test, these types of differences will be way more noticeable with a GML verses a "lesser" or more colored pre/DI. So, yes, we were scrutinizing all this stuff under a very demanding "scope".

At that point we were almost not even going to bother comparing the speaker cables, figuring how much difference could there really be in a speaker cable... but we DID compare, and again, the Mogami provided a noticeable improvement over other speaker cables we had on hand. Same effect too, it provided more dynamics and more "clarity".

What I find amazing here, many of us spend lots of money improving our instruments, amps, pre-amps, etc, etc, etc, and never think about the cables (this includes me up until now)... and it is obvious to me now that cables CAN be a serious bottle-neck, causing a great limitation in the end quality of the sound.

The way I see it, you should have a great cable like the Mogami, NOT because it somehow "improves" the sound itself, but because it ALLOWS the quality of the rest of your gear to actually get from point A to point B and ultimately onto your recording etc.

Lesser cables apparently act as a "filter", and never allow you to realize the maximum performance level of the rest of your chain (assuming you have a good chain).

I would never make posts like this unless I actually heard it myself. I tend to not be a sucker for gimmicks and general magic or trickery... but when I observe something first hand that allows for a noticeable improvement in the sonics of any chain, I'm happy to report it.

I'm not an electrical engineer, I cannot explain WHY one cable offers more clarity and dynamics than another, but the proof is in the end sound. Hearing is believing. I'd never use anything other than a Mogami at this point.... unless perhaps something else came along that actually beat the Mogami in a comparison test. But considering how the Mogami was considerably better than just about everything else, I'd say that beating it would be a tall order.

Anyone here that would claim that it's silly to expect large improvements from higher quality cables, think again. What I heard was very real. Don't put your foot in your mouth. I suppose it IS a bit situation dependent, but after my experience with the Mogami, I'd say it's "dangerous" to ever make a blanket statement that high-quality cables are not worth it or whatever.

If you want to hear a difference, borrow, rent or steal a Mogami Platinum instrument cable, then get a second cable, just about any other cable out there... perhaps a Monster for the heck of it, same length... and do your own test... and tell us what you hear. If the rest of your signal chain is stellar, you WILL hear a difference... and you will likely never let that Mogami cable ever leave your studio.

But, to be fair, I'll mention that if one's existing signal chain is NOT that amazing, perhaps you will NOT hear a big difference. It makes sense to me that the Mogami cable will not "provide" a high level of clarity, detail and dynamics if such is not there to begin with in the rest of the chain. The testing we did here was with all top-grade stuff, top-end guitar, GML, etc... no weak links, all stellar stuff. So if you're running "lower-grade" gear in general, then the Mogami might be a waste... spend your bucks improving other parts of your chain first... and don't fall prey to other "gimmick" cable companies that charge a lot for cables that do not perform much better or any better than any other more reasonably priced "decent" cable.

Old 5th February 2010

Did you do a blind study, where a buddy randomly plugged in a cable you couldn't see?

-tINY

Old 7th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY View Post

Did you do a blind study, where a buddy randomly plugged in a cable you couldn't see? -tINY
A buddy and I tried a bunch of different cables and recorded the results of each one.... all other factors perfectly identical. We then each played the tracks back for the other so the listener ("blindfolded") did not know what cables he was hearing. For instance, I'd solo a given track and say, "#1", then solo another track and say "#2", scrambled up everything up of course... then after soloing each several times in different orders (but keeping the number assignments the same of course), my buddy would say, "#3 sounded the most clear and dynamic, while #5 sounded a bit compressed and stufffy" etc etc etc.. and we'd take notes. He listened, then I listened (everything re-scrambled with different number assignments of course)... our assessments were nearly identical.

For the instrument cables, we both chose the Mogami Platinum as the most outstanding / highest-fidelity... and not surprisingly, the one we thought was the "worst" (vague, stuffy, compressed, etc) was an "el-cheapo" cable, can't remember, may have been a Hosa or something like that.

Then, everything in-between was a little more difficult to pick out... this is where we had at least one disagreement. I can't remember the details now... it might have been something like I had preferred the Monster over a Canare and my buddy felt the opposite... these and others were a lot closer to each other, more "splitting of hairs"... the Mogami Platinum though really stuck out, I think anybody with decent ears would have been able to pick it out.

And, oh yeah, the Mogami Gold came in a close second, it was related to the Platinum sonically (great clarity and dynamics), but maybe just a tad less... might have been a tad bit more compressed in the lows (for better or for worse), still noticeably more desirable than all the others. Both Mogamis just had stellar dynamics and a crisp, fast "high resolution" type of character. The transients of the others, by comparison, were a little more rounded, less defined, seemingly a little "slower", etc.

I'm not claiming any "magic" here, I would offer that Mogami must have built certain specs into the wire that they knew would be more friendly to the average guitar / amp... this is my theory anyway, not being an electrical engineer.... perhaps a certain impedance or whatever... there must be a reason why these cables sound superior... I definitely do NOT believe in magic... they must have talented engineers that figured out something that simply works. And finally, I don't really care how they did it, all I know is that it works... and as long as I have a few to use when recording, I'll be happy.

I'm only defending these cables here because I did indeed find this to be quite a revelation. As I stated earlier, prior to conducting the cable test, I felt pretty much like everyone else, I did not believe that there would be a big difference in just cables. I even told my buddy prior to our listening test that I thought it was going to be a waste of time. I was truly shocked at the results... so I feel a need to report this to the naysayers... borrow some of these cables and check `em out, you will be enlightened. If you're sensitive to very fine detail and dynamics, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Though if you're the type that has a cheap, poorly set-up guitar, cheap amp and recording through a not-so-great mic into a not-so-great mic pre, then I'd predict you will NOT hear a difference in the cables.... because the rest of the chain will not even be able to yield the level of detail and dynamics that the good cables bring forth. Just a prediction. We had not tested these cables through a weak chain, only a good one.
Old 8th February 2010
Here for the gear

I've had very good results with EWI.
Old 8th February 2010
Lives for gear

I've had the best results with building my own cables far cheaper and you can get the best quality possible.

Just get a simple soldering iron and then order any connectors and cables you need from REDCO.
Old 4th March 2010
Here for the gear

as far as guitar cables, and amp to cab cables, you can absolutely hear a difference. I build high end guitar amps all day every day for a living and have had a ton of companies send me samples to try. for guitar cable, its generally capacitance that makes a difference IMO.

Lower capacitance cable always adds top end. Going to far is not good, your ears are used to hearing a slight bit of roll off, so when thats gone, it gets sterile sounding. Im sure there is some merit to what the wire actually is, the braid etc, but in the end, generally cable that is 40pf/ft will sound the same as other cable that is 40pf/ft etc. for me, 30-40pf/ft seems to be what I like. Ive tried stuff as low as 15pf/ft, and its brittle. And yes, Ive done plenty of blind tests with myself, and with others, and the results are very conclusive. If you dont believe it, put a 100pf cap from the wiper of a volume pot to ground, that would simulate a 10pf/foot difference in cable over a 10foot cable. thumbsup

Speaker cable is the same, but the actual size of the cable seems to have an effect, as well as the material and capacitance. Makes sense, higher voltages running through a cable, with a pretty strong load at the other end. I cant say as far as mic cable, but from my guitar cable testing, Im going to have to say mic cables would have some impact. maybe not much, as the current and voltage in a mic cable is pretty minimal, but high pf/ft cable has to roll top end to ground.

Bob
Old 1st November 2011
Lives for gear

For the record, I ran across this thread and did some blind tests with some Monster and Mogami XLRs.

We tested two pair of 20' cables (that is, two monster and two mogami)

Mic preamp was an API 312.

Different connection paths (mic > cable > snake > pre, mic > cable > pre)

Tested running them together (mogami > monster, monster>mogami).

All of our tests were with me saying the same phrase "check one two, three four five, six seven eight" about 40 freakin times, haha.

I stood in one spot with an AKG 414EB and said the phrase the same way over and over. We did every test twice.

After we recorded, a third friend played each pair of tests back in random sequence (either A / B first) for us to hear. We were using Focal Monitors w/ Primacoustic Recoils in a treated control room.

The results are in: Mogami was seriously Wow.

Monster was somewhat compressed sounding, muffled, the "edge" of my voice was gone. Weak, slightly muffled, and in a single word "bland." Not bad, better than Hosa or something, but just "bland."

Mogami was like you were really as close as the mic was - it was truthful to the mic and the source. Clear, detailed, and upfront. It was so, so obvious to the both of us that the results were 100% unanimous, every single time, out of all the 20 some odd samples.

Since then, I've replaced all of my Monster cables with Mogami, and never looking back.

Some may argue that this little increase of quality is negligible, maybe just 5% better in the long run. That may be the case, but when I put up 16 mics on a big rock kit, I'm confident that this 5% will add up quickly.

Happy cabling
Old 1st November 2011

Glad you found the cable that makes that mic and pre sound magical for your spoken word.

Did you try with other mics, preamps, and talent?

Did you run any measurements to find out what spec'd different between the cables?

-tINY

Old 2nd November 2011
Here for the gear

MOGAMI. Hands down.
Old 4th February 2013
Gear Head

me me me, moo moo moo, monster poo mogami fu
Old 5th February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
I have a lot of Horizon Studio One cables in my studio. I bought 500' of the cable and 100 switchcraft 280's. I ran out of the cable a while back, but I still have a lot of jacks. Now I get my cable from http://best-tronics.com/guitar-cable/about.aspx I am a dealer. They will make any cable and are very cost effective.
VP
I used to have a sponsorship thru guitar-cable. I used there pro tour cables with G&H connectors and they blew away my buddies monster cables and when in the studio the engineer and i tested them against his mogami cables and we both agreed my cables were just as good as the mogami platinums at a fraction of the cost. Id love to get more sometime for my little studio

Sent from my DROIDX
Old 6th February 2013
Gear Maniac
cables

on low-end forum, why are you concerned about cables? not likely to be major factor, compared with mics, pres, other gear. just saying. unlikely to hear a difference.
Old 26th May 2016
Here for the gear

Here's a good blind test, I can hear a difference...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6jyutMh6bk
Old 26th May 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrollerp View Post
Here's a good blind test, I can hear a difference...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6jyutMh6bk
Dude, the OP was 2005. Someone brought it back to life in 2010 an 13. Let's give it a proper burial.
Old 17th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Person99 View Post
Monster is a marketing company, not a cable company.

The fact that people pay Monster prices for the quality of cable they get from them is a testament to how good they are at that. Of course a general ignorance of physics seems to work quite well in Monster's favor.
Ignorance of physics?

I've used both Mogami and Monster, the difference is negligible.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search