The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
VOCAL MICS FOR 200 OR LESS
Old 8th August 2005
Gear Head

VOCAL MICS FOR 200 OR LESS

I'm wondering if there are any good (relative to the price) mics for capturing vocals. I'm justing a Nady tube condenser right now and its terrible. If I move an inch it will go from sounding distant and weak to overpowered, muddy and bassy. Someone help? Are the behringer condensers any good?
Old 8th August 2005
Lives for gear

Not to beat the long dead horse....I think yuo will be more than pleasantly surprised at the better dynamics out there than the lower end condensors....

To my ears, a good SM7 (used around 200) or SM57/58 (less than 100 each new), an RE15 or 16 (can be had for 150 or so each used), etc...blows the socks off any of the low end condensor mics out there....

If you MUST have condensors on vocals, I can easily recommend pretty much any of the Audio Technica 40 series...the 4040s work well, the 4050s have been described by Snake Reynolds (one of my all time favorite engineers) as being honest, reproducing whatever you give it), the 4060 is a tube favorite for a lot of people....I also have gotten good results with the 4041 SDC on vocals....Even the 200 dollar 3035 can be a great choice on some vocals....

I believe there is are enormous differences between the inexpensive mics out there...but for just a few bucks more, you can get into the AT area, and you may be better served in the long run.

Just my opinion - I don't have the gold/platimun to back it up, though....
Old 8th August 2005
Gear Head

I have had some good success with some low end LDC mics. The MXL 1006, MXL67, both work quite well on vocals.

Personally, I don't like the Shure 58's on most vocals. If you are going dynamic, I think the Sennheiser 8** series blows them out of the water. We have side by side setup the 835's against the 58 three or four times. Everytime the Senny's win for us.
Old 8th August 2005
Here for the gear

I'll second the AT4040 (though it's more like $300 or less new). After reading a certain home recording forum (wow, that's not vague at all is it?) I tried out a Studio Projects C3. REALLY not what I needed. I honestly can't make a quality judgement on it but the whole hyped high end thing, NOT an exaggeration. Anyway, the bottom line is it was awful for my voice.

A few weeks later I picked up an AT4040 and it's sounded great on everything I've put in front of it (including my voice). Really has just made me more careful about trying to get as close to a professional product as I can in any recording purchase, even if I am just doing home recording. ie: I'm very wary of chinese mics. I'm still looking at a pair of SP C4s 'cause it seems the best deal in my budget for SDCs, but only after a lot of research and failing to really hear anything bad about them.

AT4040 if you want a fantastic condenser under $300. But from what I hear (no exp) the large diaphram dynamics are great pro mics for a budget price. I plan to pick up an SM7 myself as soon as I upgrade my preamps (I've heard the ldds really need a good pre to shine, but I've heard a lot of different takes on exactly what level of pre this kicks in).
Old 8th August 2005
Lives for gear

I agree that in many (but not all ) instances, you will be better off with a good dynamic than an inexpensive condenser. SM7 (as previously mentioned), EV RE15, 16 or 18 (or even an RE10 or 11), Audix OM6, are all decent possibilities.

If you must have a condenser - look for better quality used ones. The AKG c535eb is a very decent vocal condenser for @$160 used. Also the AT 4053 and 4054 can be had used for about the same money. These are the now discontinued performing versions of the AT 4050 in cardioid only (one rolled off and the other not). These have been replaced by the AE 5400 and thus can be found pretty inexpensively. The AT4033 can sometimes be had pretty cheaply used. I think the Shure KSM-27 is also OK in that price range used. I have even picked up an Audix VX-10 for less than $200 which is both a great performing and recording condenser (competes with Neumann KMS-105) although admittedly I got lucky on that one. Other possibilities are some of the Groove Tubes mics which are generally decent - I like the AM40/GT44 in particular although it is a medium D and not a large D mic. At one time GC was blowing them out for $200 and they show up on e-bay with some regularity.
Old 8th August 2005
Gear Addict

The Blue Ball can make a nice vocal mic in certain situation on certain people and is only $99 new. It has the qualities of a dynamic microphone (which it is..) but is silker. It's really a kick ass mic IMHO and is not talked about much...possibly because it's not as versatile as a 57? Not sure...give it a try though. thumbsup

I also use it on guitar amps all the time.
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

ADK line, they have some good options.
Matti
Old 9th August 2005
Gear Head

same problem

i have got about say $500 to get a dynamic and a condensor mic...

ow the obvious dynamic is an sm57... is there a studio in the wold that doesn't have one of thoses... didn't think so... but the condensor mic is the one where a decision has to be made...

i have been told by a very reliable source...that AKG are just a waste of time and that there are better mics for there price on the market???

any advice... and if i could stretch to an extra $100.. say spend (well the sm57 say about $120....) so would leave about $350 dollars on a condensor..

also what tube mices are worth looking at???

best
Old 10th August 2005
Lives for gear

I'm not sure what they go for in GB, but you can certainly get a used AT 4050 for that amount over here. Great all around jack of all trades multi pattern LD condenser if that is what you are looking for. What exactly are you wanting to use it on? Same question with the dynamic mic. I might be inclined to look for a Beyer M201 instead of the SM57 if one was available used. I've picked them up for about $120 here. I think they are probably more available there than they are here.
Old 10th August 2005
Lives for gear

Anybody had any experience with the SE2200A ?

I was just reading about them and they sound like an interesting low end entrant. Of course, does the the world need another asian LD Condenser? Doesn't every kid with a PC and an M-box have 3 or 4 by now?
Old 10th August 2005
Gear Head

Pohaku...

thanks for the advice... the sm 57, is for close micingguitar amps mainly... and need a condensor for the vocals, acoustic guitars, room etc etc... i don't own a drum kit so going all trent reznor for a little while using and constrructing drum loops etc... tahnx for the advice, i will check it out
Old 10th August 2005
Lives for gear

I would totally recommend an Audio Technica 4047SV for vocals and an SM57 for cabinets. I know some slag the 57, but I feel like you gotta have one before you proceed. I have a couple of more expensive options for vocals, but sometimes the 4047 is just the thing. I'll see if I can post some clips when I get back later today.
Old 10th August 2005
Gear Addict

I love my 4047.

Can't really go wrong with a 57 either.

The 4047 is my choice too, can be had for $325 or so used.
Old 11th August 2005
Gear Nut

Rode NT1 is suprisingly usable for male vocals with a good pre.

Mark
Old 11th August 2005
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalby26
i have got about say $500 to get a dynamic and a condensor mic...

ow the obvious dynamic is an sm57... is there a studio in the wold that doesn't have one of thoses... didn't think so... but the condensor mic is the one where a decision has to be made...

i have been told by a very reliable source...that AKG are just a waste of time and that there are better mics for there price on the market???

any advice... and if i could stretch to an extra $100.. say spend (well the sm57 say about $120....) so would leave about $350 dollars on a condensor..

also what tube mices are worth looking at???

best
as per ty ford's recommendation i picked up an audio technica ae5400...it's a 4050 capsule in cardioid only mode.
if you shop around you can find it for $300 new...definitely great considering that's half the price of a 4050.
of course i use it primarily for live sound and live sound recordings...but it's very nice for the price regardless...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search