The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
biuld a small project studio for recording vocals and guitars
Old 8th August 2005
Gear Maniac

biuld a small project studio for recording vocals and guitars

Hi

I mainly doing dance oriented stuff and remixing club house in the box,therefore im currently using logic 5.51 still on pc, got many synths and virtual stuff, now i want to build me a little project studio,or would i better say a small recording place for recording female vocals( perhaps rap vocals male soon too) and guitars (mainly electric) for my house tunes got into contact with young talented people arround my area.

So here are my questions:
Im really new to this converter ,preamp stuff, i was mainly doing all stuff in the box and got my files ready from other people, now i would like to record it all by myself
and have some questions

i was thinking of the following things:

i need perhaps 2-3 mics a good preamp and some nice converters
thought of perhaps one sm58 for the main rap vocals, a neumann tlm103 for the female parts,yeah i have read i need more mics cause there are different singers and every singer suits an other mic, could you give me an advice on this which 3-4 mics would be a good starting point

for the preamp i would go with a avalon sp737 as the main strip for vocal and guitar cause i really only need one cause im only recording one thing at once and not multirecording , dont know about the converters?!?!?
which one to take

and i think i will switch soon for a used dual g5 in order to use logic pro7 , as a soundcard im using the rme hammerfall hdsp ,

any advice would be nice,thx a lot

greetings wafze
Old 8th August 2005
Quote:
i need perhaps 2-3 mics a good preamp and some nice converters
the sound of a microphone is always connected with the preamp u are using.. that's why people have 10 diffrent preamps around..

just to start nothing is wrong with the avalon but a lot of people prefer Greatriver pre's(www.mercenary.com).

Converters: I like stuff from RME (RME HDSP-card & multiface, ADI-8 pro) but they are all 8+ inputs.. the topend is lavry blue (search google for lavry), linx stuff like that.

if you wanna record electric guitars no way around Royer 121!! fuken expensive, but never heard something bigger sounding. start with 2 SM57 (or 57beta)

Remember for recording guitars:
people use 2 or 3 microphones on one cab so be prepared to record at least 2 tracks at a time.. remember:; the sound is coming from the fingers of a player trough good pickups of a good guitar, going into a good sounding AMP and are connected together trough a good sounding CAB, recorded with good microphones, positioned at a good (sweet) spot. this chain can be very expensive!!

.. also for vocals.. if you wanna record a chorus yu can do it with (stereo laufzeit mikrofonie). then you need 2 tracks to record, 2 identical mics (large condensers).

These are my personal hints (depending on my own taste and experience). you have to get into it on your own.

As I see, you are from germany, order some stuff from thomann and then return it in 14days. So you can test a lot of diffrent mics and stuff.

cheers george
Old 8th August 2005
Gear Maniac

thx a lot george, will have a look at these items yoou mentioned and yeah , nice thomann thing too,had really forgotten about it!

about the guitars i was thinking of getin directly into the preamp and recording it into the box ,and afterwards editing it with plugins, was my first ideo , but thanks for the tip and info, will have alook into this, im really starting on this , thx ;-)

could you give me a hint on the 2 vocal large condensers?
Old 8th August 2005
puh.. I hate giving you an advice on the condensers, because there is no good or bad (ok, the t-bones from thomann, superlux and stuff is bad ).

There is a very good value/price mic out there. Brauner Phantom annyversary edition. (also available on thomann.de).

My opinion is: stay away from Neumann (not because they are not good, but overpriced in my taste) and go more into Gefell, Brauner, Langevin..

Gettin into preamp and working with plugins is much cheaper.. try out amplitube, guitar rig from N.I... or maybe POD, Vox tonelab.. but man, nothing is better than a real recorded guitar ( alot of people mix a drysignal(direct to preamp) with a recorded signal.

What is your budget?

you can P.M. me if you want to, or MSN if you have one.
Old 8th August 2005
Gear Maniac

thx george for the tips , i will send you a p.m
Old 8th August 2005
Gear Head

here are some suggestions

rosetta 800
for converters

api 3124 preamps

and

great river mp-2nv preamps

at least that's what i would buy if i had the money.
Old 9th August 2005
Gear Maniac

thx a lot scott for your suggestions thumbsup
Old 12th August 2005
Here for the gear

Use a Focusrite ISA preamp: more versitale/less colouring (you can always colour after), also available with digital card through which you can monitor too.

I'm a fan of SE Electronics mics. Gemini is killing for male vocals (but expensive), even for kickdrums. Icis does female the best. But de universal studio soldier is the Z5600A with nine degrees in cardioid, 8 and omni patterns. Also the SE3 small diaphragms are great for overhead and instruments.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search