The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
what is need for better vocal tracks
Old 7th August 2005
Gear Nut
what is need for better vocal tracks

http://www.myspace.com/decreporation

most of you will probably say well that vocalist sucks but thats not would i'm looking for. I think i need a compressor (i think) and prob a better mircophone. When i recorded that i used a PG58 and presonus pre amp ( yeah i know it sucks) but heres what i plan to buy and i'd like to know other people think (good/bad) any suggestions are welcome. I looking to actually enhance the quality of everything but mainly vocals and bass (theres no bass in thos recordings)

Fire Pod
dbx 166XL Dual Compressor Limiter
Shure KSM27
Behringer HA4700 Powerplay® Pro Headphone Amp
Rack Power supply
Patch bay
Monitors with nice subs (any suggestions)

Also what does the Behringer ADA8000 Ultragain Pro-8 do. Sorry i'm a 16 year old idiot
Old 8th August 2005
azz
Gear Head

Hi Peyton

The Presonus FirePOD looks good but do u realy need that many inputs?
the pod also comes pakeged whith cubase LE which is kool (im a cubase user)
but something tells me u already have a DAW?
What dose your recording setup look like now?

As for the Shure KSM27 i havent used it but if it was me and whith that mic buget id be looking for someing from RODE.

As for moiters everyone heer keeps going on about the KRK RP8's :P

Also a Behringer ADA8000 Ultragain Pro-8 to qwote uli is a " High-End 8-Channel A/D & D/A Converter with Premium Mic Preamplifiers and ADAT® Interface ''
lol at "High-End" heh which meens it takes a analog signel and converts it to digital and visa versa.
Old 8th August 2005
Gear Addict

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by azz
As for the Shure KSM27 i havent used it but if it was me and whith that mic buget id be looking for someing from RODE.

Also a Behringer ADA8000 Ultragain Pro-8 to qwote uli is a " High-End 8-Channel A/D & D/A Converter with Premium Mic Preamplifiers and ADAT® Interface ''
lol at "High-End" heh which meens it takes a analog signel and converts it to digital and visa versa.
The KSM27 is a great microphone - I have many friends who would agree.

Most Behringer equipment is t3h suck.
Old 8th August 2005
Gear Nut
i heard it was the only good berhenger product aroud

my current setup is

PG58
SM57
Presunus tube pre amp
berhenger 12 track mixer
mackie 6 channel pa head
cakewalk

and i need the 8 inputs for drums
Old 8th August 2005
behringer is not worth discussing about it. the headphone amps rocks (price/value).

you have the following chain:
singer==>microphone==>preamp==>A/D-card==>Harddrive==> D/A

problem 1:
not every singer/style fits with every microphone. Belief me! For deathmetall a large condenser is BAD(tryed 2, U87i, Gefell M930.. ) and I did the best vocals with Shure SM58 beta.

Sell your PG58 and get a SM58beta. (personal recomondation) or go Sennheiser (new series E9xy). They are cool!

U2's Bono sings with an SM58 in the studio(people told me this).

problem2:
the combination of mic and preamp is very difficult. Read the forums.

my Shure SM58 beta sounds the best (for my taste) with an MK2 Goldmike. It sounds diffrent with my mackiepres and it sounds very bad with my behringermixer (I use it for my listening-chain).

I do a lot of afterprocessing with plugins so it's not so important how it was recorded (a lot of people would disagree with that, but I live happily).

The presonus is not bad for the price.

recommondation for monitors:
monitoring depends on budget, taste and style. There are these behringer 2031a. They are very reliable on techno, electronics but not good for guitars(because the upper mids are very weak).

My favourite are the ADAM's S3a but out of budget for you, I think.

for lowr pricerange: Event 20/20bas (active) or Event 20>/20

these are my personal recomondations.. go to store with your favourite CD's and listen.
Old 8th August 2005
azz
Gear Head

Quote:
not every singer/style fits with every microphone. Belief me! For deathmetall a large condenser is BAD(tryed 2, U87i, Gefell M930.. ) and I did the best vocals with Shure SM58 beta.
Why do u think a 58 wold sond beter on death metal vocals than a U87?
something to do whith useing the 58 closer the the mouth to get more low end?
Old 8th August 2005
Gear Addict

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by azz
Why do u think a 58 wold sond beter on death metal vocals than a U87?
something to do whith useing the 58 closer the the mouth to get more low end?
From what I've read, either one will give you proximity effect. However, a dynamic will give you better off-axis rejection.

Frankly, what I'd do is examine the frequency curves of the two microphones. Is there something missing or excessive in the singer's voice? Is their voice thin and dull even when screaming? If so, get something with fat mids and a high boost. Is the voice too thick/syrupy? A high boost may not sound right, then.

You really need to try different mics to see what "flatters" the singer's voice most. A U87 would definitely not strike me as a "death metal" microphone. The charm in a dynamic is the ridiculously high amounts of decibels they can take before distorting. If it's death metal, that's a far safer and less potentially costly microphone choice. That said, though, again, you really do have to try out different microphones. The Beta 58's a great microphone, but it doesn't have a flat frequency response - so really examine where your vocalist needs color or what needs taming, and work from there. Inside-out. You're not going to teach him to sing "with more in the mid frequencies!" so arm yourself with a working knowledge of how his voice is heard by your ears, and then how it will be heard by your microphone.
Old 12th August 2005
Here for the gear

I love the SE Electronics mics. They have incredible price/performance ratio. Nice allround multipattern tube mic: Z3300a
For preamp: try Focusrite Saffire (soon out) 4-in/10-out firewire dsp on-board
or a Voicemaster Pro with digital card.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search