The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Behringer V Verb
Old 20th May 2009
Lives for gear

Behringer V Verb

I had sworn off Behringer for all the usual reasons, but then I noticed a thread about the V Verb 2496 and I had to reconsider. Thing is that seems like a high percentage of these are non-functional right out of the box so have to wonder about that too.

Right now for hardware based verbs I've got a Lexi MPX100 and a TC M300.
Both of them have a few useable verbs but nothing that makes me go 'ooohh, that's niiice..." I'm also so in a rut with these 2 units. The Lex has nice plates and chambers and useful delay/verb settings. The TC I'm less in love with as I find that almost all the verbs have a similar character. Neither of them have really involving or convincing smaller room and ambience algorithms.

I'm not a fan of cathedral/mega-auditorium reverbs. Problem is many of these on lower priced boxes sound like they were sampled inside a 50 gallon drum or an empty liquid container truck!

So does the V Verb have great sounding smaller rooms and ambiences?
Old 20th May 2009
Lives for gear

Yes, it does. It's $80, give it a try before they're all gone (it's discontinued for some insane reason). If you don't like it, I'm sure one of us would take it off your hands.
Old 20th May 2009
Lives for gear

Buy two, you won't be sorry.
Old 20th May 2009
Lives for gear

Yes, the small room and ambience settings are really good. Way better than a MPX100. I have two, both working fine.
Old 20th May 2009
Gear Nut

The V-verb kicks ass, period. You should definitely get one.
Old 20th May 2009
Lives for gear

How are the converters in it? I've got to connect to my Yamaha AW4416 I/O through analog connectors!
Old 20th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Zero View Post
Buy two, you won't be sorry.
+1thumbsup
Old 20th May 2009
Lives for gear

Anybody know if the V Verb uses the same chip as the DSP2496? Seems to me the V Verb was a spin-off of the rackmount DSP.
Old 20th May 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by John N View Post
How are the converters in it? I've got to connect to my Yamaha AW4416 I/O through analog connectors!
excellent, I find berry converters better than most cheapo stuff (they got that part right somehow somewhere along the way). I use mine analog, I mix otb with a yamaha rm800-24 desk.

Don
Old 20th May 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboJets View Post
Anybody know if the V Verb uses the same chip as the DSP2496? Seems to me the V Verb was a spin-off of the rackmount DSP.
well it might but that's irrelevant. the algorithms are what decide on the quality of a reverb. the algos in the rev2496 v-verb are truly truly excellent. it probably does use similar hardware, but I don't think it means it sounds anything like it. the verbs in the v-verb blow away those in the dsp but the v-verb can't do most of the other things that the dsp can do.

Don
Old 20th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelley View Post
well it might but that's irrelevant. the algorithms are what decide on the quality of a reverb. the algos in the rev2496 v-verb are truly truly excellent. it probably does use similar hardware, but I don't think it means it sounds anything like it. the verbs in the v-verb blow away those in the dsp but the v-verb can't do most of the other things that the dsp can do.

Don
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, the control over parameters on the dsp2496 version are insane (powerful) but it's just too noisy and the tails and early reflections are wayyyy too grainy.

But...the dsp2496 has an incredible little compressor that's one of the most transparent, wide open compressors I've heard. You can squash the crap out of stuff and not hear it working.
Old 20th May 2009
Lives for gear

I wanted to hate the V-Verb just for the Behringer name, but I took the red pill, bought one...and it's objectively killer. Puts my Kurzweil Rumour to shame on lots of settings. KILLS my Yamaha REV5. Some people are reporting some funkiness on start up, so there's that to consider, but it's a pretty great gamble all in all.

Frank
Old 21st May 2009
Lives for gear

if you still can find one, buy it. I have used several behringer devices, some are crappy, some are just ok. the v-verb is really great, much better than a tc m300 or the budget lexicon stuff. I like it better than the lexi 500 I've used. good user interface also.

KILLER !
Old 21st May 2009
Gear Addict

Question Behringer V-Verb Discontinued?

Hey all, I'd also seen that old thread from 2006 or so about the Behringer Verb and had been wondering if it was still relevant. I mena - a few years later has anythign else come out that competes with it?

is it still worth picking one up?

Oh and have Behringer Discontinued it?

is this the right one? Behringer's new REV2496 (also known as the V-Verb Pro)
Behringer REV2496
Published in SOS August 2004
Old 21st May 2009
Lives for gear

yes, that's the one
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Well it's been a few years since this thread was updated, having read a load of info on here I took the plunge when one came up for sale, it lasted precisely a week when midway through a recording session with a gentle click it shut down! A quick check confirmed the internal fuse had blown, sadly the replacement blew again instantly...so it is in with a local tech guy who has rebuilt the power supply but reported it is still instantly blowing fuses...for the week I had it, it sounded pretty good!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search