The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Paradigm Studio 20v3s or Truth Audio's
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Paradigm Studio 20v3s or Truth Audio's

I am on the hunt for some new nearfield monitors. I am currently checking out the following:

1- Truth Audio's TA-1P's
2-Paradigm Studio 20 V3's

Of course proper power amp matching is going to be an issue with those, so then I was also looking at something totally different like the Dynaudio BM6's or BM15's for actives.

Anyone work with the Paradigm's? I see a lot of posts on here for monitors, but these are hardly ever mentioned.

Also, What's up with Truth Audio? I have been calling them for almost a week and there has been no answer and no return calls from the messages I've left.

Any helpful input is appreciated!
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

i just bought the passive truths and am just thrilled with them so far. my mixes have really really improved. they sound so drastically different from all the hyped home stereo sounding monitors selling these days. the high end is not hyped and the lows are kinda boxy but in a good way (?, NS-10's anyone?) which has really made making decisions about low end eq cuts more precise and the translation on these things has been amazing compared to my old evil event 2020 bas monitors. my clients really liked my mixes before but now i'm WAY happier (and so are they)! i just bought a sub to compliment the truths for tracking/creating and to flip on when i want to check out what's going on below 60 hz. these monitors have been my best gear investment so far ( and Lord knows i've bought a lot!). i bought a qsc 1450 power amp which worked great but was a little too noisy in the fan dept. i just bought an alesis 500 series power amp after reading the really good specs and talking to shannon via e-mail (owner, try him via e-mail). it works very very well so far- thick, clean, and quiet (no fan). i sold the qsc. cheers...

mckay
Old 5th August 2005
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounce
... the translation on these things has been amazing compared to my old evil event 2020 bas monitors. my clients really liked my mixes before but now i'm WAY happier (and so are they)! i just bought a sub to compliment the truths for tracking/creating and to flip on when i want to check out what's going on below 60 hz. ...
Bounce,
I'm planning on replacing my 20/20bas with the Truth passive, though I've never had a chance to hear them(going on rep). What are the biggest differences between them and how do you feel they have improved your mixes?
Also, what sub are you using? How are you crossing over? Is it necessary compared to the Events(not saying the 20/20 lows are great!)?

Jed
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent E
Bounce,
I'm planning on replacing my 20/20bas with the Truth passive, though I've never had a chance to hear them(going on rep). What are the biggest differences between them and how do you feel they have improved your mixes?
Also, what sub are you using? How are you crossing over? Is it necessary compared to the Events(not saying the 20/20 lows are great!)?

Jed
heya, jed : )
i must say that when i got my Truth Audios in and plugged them in, i thought the tweeters were blown. i had to feel them to make sure they were working. the event 20/20's sounded really nice. i really loved listening to music on them for fun. that was the problem. they were very cloudy in the low midrange and that was the main reason i wanted to upgrade monitors. it was just so blurry under 3-400 hz that i was always guessing at exact notches and bandwidth when eq-ing things. the truths definitely don't go as low as the 8 inch events but they have enough bottom, clarity and imaging for surgical decisions.

i really thought they sounded really boxy and dark when i first heard them. i would A/B them with the events and have never heard 2 pair of monitors sound so different in the same price range. many of the popular brands sound really similar so i was really worried about what might happen with my mixes on the truths. i remixed a song on a record that i have been mixing for the past couple of weeks to see how it would translate. it was VERY different mixing on the truths but i found it pretty easy to hear what was wrong (or at least what i thought was wrong) with the mix. the beautiful part is after trying the home stereos and car refs, the mixes translated WAY better than the event mixes. the events were hyped on the top and my mixes were always a bit dark as a result. i was really kinda freaked out because in the control room the truths sound SO much darker and different and my control room was custom built, tuned and treated. however, i really like what these do to my final product and that's the point, no?- my best investment so far (couldn't budget some Adam sa-3's yet).

as far as the sub goes...i got a velodyne sub (consumer sub) which i use when composing or programming for some more booty on the low end (more inspirational). i also flip it on when i want to hear what's going on under 60-ish when mixing but mix mostly with it off for now. it has a built in crossover and i'm really really liking the bass extension and clarity it gives me at usual mix levels and a bit over that. 250 clams : ) you can adjust the crossover point on the sub and it has speaker throughs for your main monitors. i am very pleased so far! the events definitely had more very low end compared to the truths but the murky low mids were a mix killer. hope this helps...

mckay
Old 6th August 2005
Here for the gear

i had a set of the paradigms, but hated them.
not sure what it was about them, but there was something that just drove me crazy.
nothing ever sounded right.

it drove me back to my NS-10s til i got new near-fields.
Old 6th August 2005
Here for the gear

I cant say enough good things about all the Paradigm speakers ive had. Go for Paradigm!
Old 6th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vartan
I cant say enough good things about all the Paradigm speakers ive had. Go for Paradigm!
yah what he just said
Old 6th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by vartan k
yah what he just said
Which Paradigms have you had luck with? I was looking at the newer Version 3's.

I was also just checking out the Dynaudio BM15P's.......hmmmmmmm.
Old 6th August 2005
Lives for gear

I'm running Reference 40's through a Bryston 3B ST... they work well for me.
Old 6th August 2005
Lives for gear

i use the mini monitors

http://www.paradigm.com/Website/Site...Monseries.html

i dare you to find a better montior for the price.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search