The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Cheap ad da converters
Old 2nd August 2005
Gear Maniac

Cheap ad da converters

Hi,

I am looking for a cheap A/D converter (D/A too, if possible), but with a good sound quality. I read many good things about the Art DI/O, including mods that made it sound very good, but it looks like it has been discontinued and replaced by a more expensive pre amp (which i don't think i can afford right now, and without D/A conversion). Also, i've been having much trouble to find it used (and someone that ships it overseas...). There's also this Behringer A/D D/A, the Ultramatch Pro SRC2496, that looks nice and is even cheaper than the Art. Anyone has experiencied both units ? I'm looking for using them on my Delta 1010 digital in/out, and i don't want to buy something that has worse converters than the Delta already has. Any opinions?

Thanks,
Ivan
Old 2nd August 2005
FNM
Gear Maniac

You'd probably be best off with the ART, or maybe 2 Samson C-Valve's in my opinion. I have two Samson's currently that I use in a mobile rig with a delta 1010 and they work pretty nicely and are linkable although I haven't recorded too much stereo stuff with them linked except drum overheads. They've worked well for me for guitars, vocals and drum overheads.

You could also get a different single channel pre and hook it up to the C-Valve to use it's stereo SPDIF out as two different channels, which is cool.

I haven't heard the ART with the SPDIF out's but I've heard some of their other stuff and thought it sounded decent.

Those are the ones I'd personally buy, but I'm sure there is a lot of better stuff for a little more, depends on the max you're willing to spend, which in some cases may not be as much as you need.
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jangoux
I am looking for a cheap A/D converter (D/A too, if possible), but with a good sound quality.
There's no such thing.... cheap converters, by their very definition, have poor sound quality -- that's precisely what makes them cheap!
Old 4th August 2005
jap.. cheap==>bad

now you can start with:
what is bad, what is good.

m-audio is bad for a pro, good for a non-pro.. and so on.

so please, whats your budget?
Old 4th August 2005
i dont think good converters need to be super expensive. top grade AKM or burr brown adc prices are in the tens of dollars, not hundreds. a lot of the overhead goes into the design because it takes a lot of expensive engineering time and the units are produced in small quantities.

the EMU soundcards are a good example of a product with good converters for mass markets, i hope there will be more of this kind in the future
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Actualy I'm kinda curious about what one of the behringer ULTRAMATCH PRO SRC2496 would sound like clocked off my lynx two... I wouldn't mind an extra couple of ins and outs
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Maniac

As you may see from my choices of equipment, my budget is kinda low. I only need something for using the two digital channels of my Delta1010, if possible something that won't sound worse than the Delta itself.
Old 4th August 2005
azz
Gear Head

The behringer ULTRAMATCH PRO is about the onaly good thing the uli makes. But that dosent meen that its any beter then the A/D on the delta :(
Id start looking for a second hand A.R.T. mmmmmmmmm... tubes thumbsup
Old 5th August 2005
More cowbell!

I hear good things about the new Mackie Onyx line of stuff, and I think they have a few different converter boxes with or without pre's, etc. I think there is some 8 channel thing similar to the 1010.

As said above, the M Audio pretty mid to low range. I really dislike the 2496 card I am using for my Giga comp. I suggest something else. The Lynx stuff looks pretty good, and lotta folks use the RME stuff with good results.

cheers,

K
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

not sure about the ULTRAMATCH PRO SRC2496 but the ADA8000 isnt bad on the cheep. uses semi decent alesis converters but its clock sucks, it is essential you have a better clock source. pres on it arnt very good, but you could pull them out if you just want converters

RME certainly aint cheep but have much better sound and i nice clock
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

lola outta controlla

hummm.. let's see... CHEAP but GOOD. hummmm....yeah...... hummmm.....hummmm..... i don't think so, bro. one of my ex's was cheap.... and good too, but she eventually slept with my entire street. nothing is ever as easy as CHEAP and GOOD.
Old 6th August 2005
Lives for gear

I've never heard anyone ever complain about Maudio converters (for what they cost)
Flying cow and audiofile series.
Old 6th August 2005
Lives for gear

ok ill complain about the cost of the flying cow, its overpriced
i had an Audiophine 2496, it was quite good for what it was, nothing special but a good little card at the time. but the cost of the stand alone M-Audio converters is way over priced here but there are few alternitives for a 2ch converter at that level

if your running a Delta 1010, why not just add a second delta card. im not sure what the current delta range has but i would look for something with ADAT so you have an easier migration path later on
Old 7th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Yet to find anything wrong with the Behringer ADA8000 as a "cheap" ADC/DAC...

tech-types on other forums have pulled these things apart and come to the conclusion that the converters are actually of rather good quality, and that the signal path is almost identical to RME stuff.

In my mobile multitrack rig use an ADA8000 as my "third choice",

"first choice" is a couple of Sonorus (swissonic) AD24's off the direct-outs in my Soundcraft desk, "second choice" is an M-Audio Octane...

Giving me 32 channels to record from, and I'm stuffed if I can tell the difference most of the time!

Just my 2c
Old 27th August 2005
Here for the gear

converters

I'll second the ada8000 Though I have only used it for conversion. I have also read that the converters are the same as is used in much much more expensive units. also you could also use the pres for throwing up a couple extra room mics or for scratch takes so you can save your good pres

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search