The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
M-Audio & E-Mu: Opinions?
Old 31st July 2005
Gear Addict

M-Audio & E-Mu: Opinions?

Ok guys, I've been checking out various sound cards and products for home recording lately, and I've been looking at products in roughly the $500 or less range. I've most recently been looking into the M-Audio Delta 1010 or 1010LT or the E-Mu 1820 or E-Mu 1820M.

I've heard both great tales of the quality from the above products, as well as some horror stories. If you have used or had experience with one of the above, is there one you would recommend more than another? I would like something of at least decent quality in the price range, and need something that will accomodate enough inputs for drums (8 would be fine for me). Also, if you think there's a better product than what I've mentioned in the price range, please feel free to suggest. Thanks for your input!
Old 31st July 2005
Lives for gear
The EMU sounds tons better than the M-Audio.

I've never been happy with drivers from EMU or M-Audio. However, the drivers are stable enough to record and mix an entire project.

I like the RME drivers. Their gear is out of your price range though.
Old 31st July 2005
Lives for gear

someone - pls move this thread to the lowend
Old 31st July 2005
Gear Addict

I didn't even notice I had posted in the wrong forum...my apologies!
Old 1st August 2005
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost Human
I didn't even notice I had posted in the wrong forum...my apologies!
Did you accidentally post it in the high end?
Old 1st August 2005
Gear Maniac

A friend of mine has an RME card, he also think very highly of it.

I however am stuck with an m-audio card at the moment.

I would not be surprised if the EMU card convertors sounded better.

My opinion on the m audio is that's it's not great but it does not suck.
Old 1st August 2005
Lives for gear

While I'm not floored by M-Audio's old sound cards (audiophile 24/94, 1010,delta 66/44) the new Audio phile 192 card sounds as good as the Emu stuff..

Those who stated that they hate M-audio drivers don't know what they are talking about. M-Audio have some of the best Asio/EASI drivers of the market...Stable. low latency.. Need proof.. Watch ProTolls LE run on a M-Audio card, verses a Digi card.. Major difference..
Old 1st August 2005
Lives for gear

M-audio also has Gsif2 driver support for use with gigastudio...
Old 4th August 2005
Here for the gear

How about the low low end of the e-mu line - the 0404? I was looking for a new card primarily for output direct to my monitors - and occasional use for input when I run out of channels on my regular USB pre/converter.. Opinions, anyone?
Old 4th August 2005
0404 is quite good too
Old 5th August 2005
Gear Nut

I've been asking the same questions recently and came to the following conclusion based on reading and a single (_not very thorough, in shop_) listening test.

For $100 more a second hand RME multiface will:

1. definitely be more stable;
2. offer better support;
3. have twice the resale value;
4. probably have better quality;
5. start you on the RME hardware/software ladder for the long-term.;
6. make you a bit more professional in the eyes of colloborators and clients.
Old 6th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by love_tempo
I've been asking the same questions recently and came to the following conclusion based on reading and a single (_not very thorough, in shop_) listening test.

For $100 more a second hand RME multiface will:

1. definitely be more stable;
2. offer better support;
3. have twice the resale value;
4. probably have better quality;
5. start you on the RME hardware/software ladder for the long-term.;
6. make you a bit more professional in the eyes of colloborators and clients.

Sounds like you've bought into the hype there.. let me offer some opinion from the other side of the coin.

1. Stable is as stable does - I've never had any stability issues with the 1820M
2. No need for support - see 1
3. Hmmm, dont need to re-sell, see 1 & 2
4. probably? 1820M is better on paper , lower clock jitter than the rme multiface. The 1820M sounds great.
5. Why would you want to?
6. I work for myself. I dont hire out the studio. My clients are perfectly satisfied with the results.

Old 7th August 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogWai
Sounds like you've bought into the hype there.. let me offer some opinion from the other side of the coin.

1. Stable is as stable does - I've never had any stability issues with the 1820M
2. No need for support - see 1
3. Hmmm, dont need to re-sell, see 1 & 2
4. probably? 1820M is better on paper , lower clock jitter than the rme multiface. The 1820M sounds great.
5. Why would you want to?
6. I work for myself. I dont hire out the studio. My clients are perfectly satisfied with the results.
Mostly I agree with you and it's a close call between the RME multiface and 1820m. With regard to your points I would say:

1. There are emu owners without stability problems but it seems like there are more with. I don't want to waste hours messing around with my PC if there are problems, which seems likely.
2. Creative/Emu support are notoriously appalling - see 1
3. You ALWAYS end up selling soundcards/convertors sooner rather than later as they get outdated fast.
4. I won't disagree but I don't think there much between them.
5. RME software and drivers are better. Also, unlike Creative they are committed to their products. The Emu drivers have been shabby for a long time now and updates are infrequent and ineffective. Pro audio is a sideline for Creative but is RME core business. Also, there are more semi-pro studios using RME equipment than Emu so your skills would be more transferrable.
6. Fair enough.
Old 7th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by love_tempo
Mostly I agree with you and it's a close call between the RME multiface and 1820m. With regard to your points I would say:

1. There are emu owners without stability problems but it seems like there are more with. I don't want to waste hours messing around with my PC if there are problems, which seems likely.
2. Creative/Emu support are notoriously appalling - see 1
3. You ALWAYS end up selling soundcards/convertors sooner rather than later as they get outdated fast.
4. I won't disagree but I don't think there much between them.
5. RME software and drivers are better. Also, unlike Creative they are committed to their products. The Emu drivers have been shabby for a long time now and updates are infrequent and ineffective. Pro audio is a sideline for Creative but is RME core business. Also, there are more semi-pro studios using RME equipment than Emu so your skills would be more transferrable.
6. Fair enough.
Agreed. Way....too many issues with 1820 users.

IMO...there is no way I will consider RME and Creative in the same leauge ever.

One is a bonafide pro audio company making products for professionals...the other is...Creative.

Some (those who have bought EMU / Creative) will disagree and that is totally cool by me. I personally have had experience with both...so no amount of flapping can change it.

The 1820m was the hugest waste of money and time that I had ever experienced...and while tech support (all 16-20 times I called) were very 'available'...in the end EMU wouldn't admit to bad driver issues and instead blamed it on the fact that I was using an AMD 3200.
They had me ripping my systen apart...

Does it surprise me the second I got a new interface..ALL problems dissapeared? Uh' Gee Of course not.

Same lesson learned again....I got burned again for trying to use 'budget' gear and buying what I KNEW was gonna be a temporary solution...

No offense...but at this point in my professional audio career...'EMU / Creative have not earned a place in a professional studio yet...

That is based on MY experience...and is relevant for ME.
Anybody using the 'EMU' products with success...I wish you the best. They sound good when they work.

BTW- RME is just flat out solid. THAT...makes it valuable.
Old 8th August 2005
Lives for gear

Just to clarify - Creative have absolutely nothing to do with the 1820M except write the drivers.

Of course, its no wonder that the majority of issues concerning the 1820M are driver related.

That said, I dont have any driver issues, the unit has worked flawlessly for me. You're right - it does sound good when it works.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search