The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Brauner vs Neumann? Wich is better?
Old 31st July 2005
  #1
Lives for gear
 
Roger Starr's Avatar
 

Brauner vs Neumann?

Just wondering what opinions there are over here on the Brauner Phantom C versus the Neumann TLM103 using this primarly as an alround mike, but mainly for vocals...?

Note, pre-amp is a Focusrite ISA220...

Regards,

Roger
Old 31st July 2005
  #2
Lives for gear
In my opinion... the Brauner is a nice mic.

this makes it different from any TLM
Old 31st July 2005
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Roger Starr's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwittman
In my opinion... the Brauner is a nice mic.

this makes it different from any TLM
Different in what sense...? Realy nicer so better then the 103 or just nice and so not so good as the 103?

Regards,

Roger
Old 31st July 2005
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Ruudman's Avatar
 

I like the TLM 103 for certain apps, have good experiences on female vox.
Brauner makes good mics, but I haven't tried Phantom.
Valvet voice is very tasty, but I prefered the TLM for female alto.


ruudman
Old 31st July 2005
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Roger Starr's Avatar
 

Read that somewhere too. Phantom would be better for male vocals, the 103 is more alround in that sense...

Roger
Old 31st July 2005
  #6
Gear Maniac
 
stedel's Avatar
 

Hmm...Music Computers and a thread on mics......Ah two things I love Brauner mics and Irony. Couldn't resist. Sorry
Personally anybody who likes mics..erm..and who doesn't up here?......I would humbly suggest trying out at least a Brauner Valvet. It's like dying before you've had a really good slice of Black Forest cake..you know..with the genuine Morello cherries, fresh cream and Kirsch liquor. Corse you could go to you grave without trying a a good Black Forest cake....but...would you really want to do that to yourself? Kinda make the whole thang a bit pointless. Just MHO.
Kind regards
Old 1st August 2005
  #7
Gear Addict
 
Billster's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruudman
I like the TLM 103 for certain apps, have good experiences on female vox.
dito thumbsup

Brauner is nicer though.

Bill
Old 1st August 2005
  #8
Lives for gear
 
De chromium cob's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Starr
Different in what sense...? Realy nicer so better then the 103 or just nice and so not so good as the 103?

Regards,

Roger
To me, the TLM series sounds like its had the soul ripped out of it- Its still pretty good, but as you listen to it more it just seems to be lacking something the others have. I've owned a pair of TLM-103s and a M149 and sold them all.
I'm not a big fan of transformerless mics.....
Old 1st August 2005
  #9
Gear Addict
 
Billster's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by De chromium cob
To me, the TLM series sounds like its had the soul ripped out of it- Its still pretty good, but as you listen to it more it just seems to be lacking something the others have.
Absolutely. Can work in certain situations though.

Regards,
Bill
Old 1st August 2005
  #10
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stedel
It's like dying before you've had a really good slice of Black Forest cake..you know..with the genuine Morello cherries, fresh cream and Kirsch liquor. Corse you could go to you grave without trying a a good Black Forest cake....but...would you really want to do that to yourself? Kinda make the whole thang a bit pointless.
Damn, you made me really hungry. My vote is for the Brauner, as my experiences with the 103 have been spotty, and it's never been my final choice on vocals. The Brauner, on the other hand, has sounded killer the few times that I've had a chance to use it or another one by the company.

Gotta go find some cake . . .
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump