The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
PART 2:Must have "MICS"under 1k pr? Favorite "Sleeper" "ROOM" Mics? "Out of the Norm" Condenser Microphones
Old 30th July 2005
Gear Nut

PART 2:Must have "MICS"under 1k pr? Favorite "Sleeper" "ROOM" Mics? "Out of the Norm"

Part one of this post: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showt...7&page=1&pp=30

I found some very nice mics from the above post, now I'm looking to expand my arsenal with budget room mics and hope to see some cool mics listed. What's your fav "SLEEPER" mics in the $500 each category that would make a great pair of room mics?

Time to have fun again!
Old 31st July 2005
Lives for gear

avenson sto-2's are on my want list.
joshua
Old 31st July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownmouse
avenson sto-2's are on my want list.
joshua
thumbsup thumbsup
Old 31st July 2005
Lives for gear

Langevin CR2001. Execellent FET mic made by Manley. Sounds great on absolutely everything.
Old 31st July 2005
Lives for gear

I just used Avenson STO-2's as room mics. ****ING AWESOME. Put em through a Chandler TG1 and it gets even better.
Old 31st July 2005
Gear Nut

Cool! I'll add the Langevin CR2001 and Avenson STO-2 to my list. Keep em comin'!
Old 31st July 2005
Lives for gear

Rode K2 - I use a pair in M/S through 312s for my drum room sound. The sound is HUGE and WIDE. They're amazing mics for $500 a pop - I'm surprised no one else talks about them here.
Old 31st July 2005
I have a pair of NTK's and for room mics they are really very nice. I am about to use them for toms on my next session, we will see.

For sleepers you should check out the Nady ribbons. I have a pair of non-Nady Nady's that I got from the Group DIY buy for $100 each. They crush for drum room. Funny thing is they are 180 degrees away from the NTK's, where the Rode mics are a little thin the Nady's are a little dark. I am not sure I like either on any other source but on drum room they both work very well.

If I want dark room mics with less cymbals I go for the Nady, if I want less kick in the room mics I go for the NTK. Most of the time I go for the Nady's because I like dark room mics (better for the crush'n) but YMMV....
Old 31st July 2005
Lives for gear

I just got a pair of Avensons a few weeks back. I will never look back! $500/pair and they rock. Not to mention Brad is a nice guy and easy to deal with.
Go with the Avensons...you'll love em.
Old 2nd August 2005
Gear Nut

I'm gonna have to pick up some more work to build up on my collection.
Any single room mic suggestions?
Old 2nd August 2005
MCA SP-1.
www.mcamics.com
About $50. Kevin Coleman (Smashmouth) bought 9 and wired his entire studio with them to allow "tapped" delay and ambiance.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 2nd August 2005

$500 is too much for a "Low End Theory" room mic.

I have had some good luck with the Studio Projects SDC pair that make me think they would work pretty well. The are about $350 for the pair with cardioid and omni capsules for each.

-tINY

Old 2nd August 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams
MCA SP-1.....Kevin Coleman (Smashmouth) bought 9 and wired his entire studio with them to allow "tapped" delay and ambiance.
Now that sounds like fun!!!

Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

Rode Classic is a great mono room mic, I use it in omni.
Very dirty sounding, which I personally like.
For stereo pairs I usually use 414's, or U67's if a studio has them.
There are so many great cheap LDC mics now, I worry more about the room itself before worrying about the mics.
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

Without question, the Josephson C42's, a matched pair should run $850 - $1000. Regularly outperform's mics costing twice as much.
Old 3rd August 2005
Gear Maniac

GT-44. Total sleeper..................

-Scotty
Old 4th August 2005
azz
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams
MCA SP-1.
www.mcamics.com
About $50. Kevin Coleman (Smashmouth) bought 9 and wired his entire studio with them to allow "tapped" delay and ambiance.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
DAM those look good for $50
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Head

i don't know if they are sleepers, but the shure ksm series are damn good mics for under $1k ... the ksm27, 32, and 44 all perform well beyond their price point. personally i dig most shure mics from the 57 and 58 up thru the ksm series. anyone on a budget should definitely check the ksm's out
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

thomann ribbons are great
Old 11th December 2007
Here for the gear
surprised at the at

Just got a pair of AT3035's because my friend was using them and they sounded awesome as overheads and room mics. great character and you can't beat the price.

great thread!
Old 12th December 2007
Gear Addict

What about the Fatheads? Those are my next buy for a stereo pair of room mics.
Old 12th December 2007
Beyer M160's get my vote..
Old 12th December 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by erock View Post
What about the Fatheads? Those are my next buy for a stereo pair of room mics.
I love my Fatheads for room mics. Also like em on guitar amps.
Old 4th January 2008
Lives for gear

How about $250ea for a pair of AT 4041s?
Old 5th January 2008

Kel HM-1 work well for room mics too.

-tINY

Old 5th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY View Post

Kel HM-1 work well for room mics too.
+1 for the HM-1s!

Oktava MC-012s with omni caps rock as well thumbsupthumbsup
Old 5th January 2008
I thought this was a little obvious, but no one has mentioned it yet...so AKG C1000s...totally essential mic if you're on a budget...you can have a pair of these for way, way under a grand and still have dough for some decent cables or whatever else you might need. I've used them on everything from hihat/ride to acoustic guitar (usually in conjunction with a large diaphragm condenser, although not always), even on electric guitar combos and vocals (great second mic for backup vox just to change up things)...amazing mics for the dollars. Also AT4020s and 4040s are killer for the bucks.

Cheers
Old 5th January 2008
Lives for gear

C1000 was my first mic beyond a 57/58... it rarely comes out of the box anymore, but it served me well for things. It's a little harsh on some sources, but can be the right thing on certain things (I like it on a lot of percussion instruments). I also got a first-gen C3000 when they first came out, still have it - but it also doesn't come out of the box too often.

Strangely - the brightness/harshness of the 3000 works for me on some guitar cabs in the same way that a 57 does.. ssh, it's a secret.
"-)
Old 21st March 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordZilla View Post
+1 for the HM-1s!

Oktava MC-012s with omni caps rock as well thumbsupthumbsup
Did you ever compare Kel HM-1 to AT 3035?

Thanks.
Old 22nd March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty-o View Post
GT-44. Total sleeper..................

-Scotty
Been meaning to pick up one of these for a while now. Any similarity to the GT Convertible? I've got one of those and it's kind of a super-57 with a really tight pattern.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search