The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Gear questions
Old 29th July 2005
Here for the gear

Gear questions

Hi everybody. I'm completely new here, so if I'm posting something that is already beaten to death, I apologise.
I have a question.
What is the standard for a live band that wants to use pre-recorded (Custom) samples duing a show between songs. Is there anything that can be operated with just a foot switch, so you don't have to mess around with the unit to que up between songs? Something simple and inexpensive....
Thanks in advance.
Old 29th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Hey there.

What sort of samples are you talking about (ie. sound FX or music) and how long will the samples be (before anyone would have the "time" to load another sound or set of sounds)?

And (I hate to ask this as I know that often an EXACT budget is not in mind), but what do you classify as inexpensive??

I think with a rough idea on budget, and required sampling time, the options may become a little narrower.

Unless someone else has a "specific" device to suggest, I would also think that the number of different samples required may also influence the options, as you may need to "scroll" through the banks as opposed to having one single sample that will be replayed everytime etc.

My band uses a hardware sampler and a basic midi controller (keyboard).

Individual samples are assigned to specific notes and the keyboard itself does not look "out of place" on a stage .... definately more appropriate than a guitarist leaning over to fumble for the play button on a minidisc player .... and also more reliable than a Microsoft loaded laptop scenario.

Cheers
Old 30th July 2005
Here for the gear

Well, we have a two minute intro at the start of our live show, and then we were thinking of having some samples here and there between the odd song. You know, like you could take a 30 second audio clip from a movie, and then go into the next tune and then ater maybe have some samples of other maniacal audio stuff. Just to add to the set a little bit.
I'm thinking of spending about $500 Canadian max (About $360 USD)
I really don't know where to start..... I don't even know what the things are called.
Any help would be appreciated.
Old 30th July 2005
Lives for gear

It would be simple to put it on a CD and have your sound man hit play for each. If you don't have a sound man, you should hire one for the audiences sake.
Old 31st July 2005
Here for the gear

Yeah, but if you put it on a CD and play it, it will go into the next sample as well. We need something that will play sample #1 and then stop, and que up for sample number 2 automatically.
We don't want to be dependant on a soundguy. I know there are machines out there that are made for doing what we want to do, I just don't know what they're called, or who makes them. -
Old 31st July 2005
Lives for gear

I think what you need is a sampler that's it. I've seen the S2000 by Akai going very cheap now a days. Even 200 bucks if I'm not mistaken. Just be sure to load it with alot of RAM, 30 second samples (stereo) are very big for these things. You would need a midi controller or a keyboard. If you don't have a keyboard player and don't wan't to look stupid everytime you go to press a key for the sample to start, I think a midi foot pedal should work to ? (never tried it like that but I assume it should work. whenever the song stops you will have each sample assigned to a key note on the keyboard or the foot pedal.

I have a MPC 2000 it's a awesome sequencer/sampler/drum machine in one. You will find many uses for it aside what you are planning to do. The cool thing is that it has pads where you can also asign the different samples you load it with.

hope this helps.
Old 31st July 2005
Gear Head

What about used Adat with remote control? Rock solid and durable!
Old 31st July 2005
Lives for gear

Hmmmmm...a so-called "repeater" might be what you're seeking. MacKenzie got their start back in the 1960's with taped-based gear. Now it's all digital. Awhile back, I built up some displays for a museum with these:

http://www.macklabs.com/dmr.html

Bri

PS, in case anyone is curious about the original repeaters, read this:

http://www.reelradio.com/reports/mackenzi.html
Old 1st August 2005
Gear Maniac

I haven't been to Brians suggested links for the repeater option yet, but in the event of the CD / Sampler / Adat options being the way forward, here are a few other pointers to think about.

Remember that hardware samplers are governed by the maximum sample time each specific sampler has.

If your 2 minute intro piece is also to be included as one of the samples, then keep this in mind when researching the specific sampler you may want to buy.

I am not too clued up with the Akai S2000 (I have an S6000 which is quite a bit more than $360 ... although you can get an S5000 for a real bargain nowadays), but I think that the S2000 may not hold enough in a single sample "dump/load" to get the 2 minute intro PLUS various other 30 sec samples.

My suggestions for suitable samplers would be an Akai S5000 (may pick one up for around $250 .... stand to be corrected??) and with the max RAM of 256mb you will easily get all your samples on there.

Another even cheaper option I could suggest is a Yamaha A3000, which takes 128mb RAM and as far as I know they are pretty cheap used and you should also get everything on there.

If Brians repeater IS the correct item you have been referring to, please post your successes or failures here as that is a pretty interesting "goodie" ..... I have always been under the impression that samplers were the way to go (ADAT suggestion is also good IMO).

I just feel that samplers give you the standalone option of being able to transpose, manipulate, add effects to, load/save etc etc pretty easily and also have other optional live uses, like drum triggered sound sources and so on.

Ciao
Old 1st August 2005
Gear Maniac

I agree, i think that all you need is a basic sampler.

There'a really good deals for the Akai S3000 on ebay right now.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search