The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Art dps II strereo tube pre amp
Old 29th July 2005
Gear Nut
Art dps II strereo tube pre amp

Click Here

Is this pre amp any good for the price range? if now is there anything in the 200-300 price range thats better? I have to have one with 2 channels
Old 29th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Honestly i don't know if it's any good. I haven't tried it.

I have tried the Audio buddy, and the DMP3.

I can hear a small difference between the Audio buddy and DMP3. I would go with a DMP3.

Otoh i've heard good stuff about the vtb-1 by studio projects and a certain behringer pre amp. They are all in this price range.

I honestly think all these products are very close to each as far as passing a signal with a certain amout of detail. I don't think one really stands out in front of the other in this price bracket. In other words, choose what you like!
Old 29th July 2005
Gear Nut
thanks. I just dont want to buy anything that is a piece of junk
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

I have an ART tubepac which I like and use a lot.
As a vocal pre / DI pre / distortion box.

dunno about that variable tube voicing thing though, mine doesn't have that.
Old 29th July 2005
Gear Nut
whats the model number?
Old 3rd August 2005
Gear Addict

I had one and absolutely hated it. It made everything in the rack buzz.
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

preamp

In that price range you might want to consider the Presonus Blue Tube DP. It gives a nice warmth to vocals and acoustic guitar, although I haven't really needed to use it for electric guitar much. It does not have a digital out, though. It has not equalization options, although it has a 80Hz cut option.
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Nut

Hey,

I got the Presonus Tube Pre. I don't know too much about this yet, but it's done fine by me so far. I'm not doing pro work, but I haven't been disturbed yet with it's performance- and when I get disturbed with something, it's pretty much over. I've used it to pep up my bass signal at a live gig, and to send phantom power to a couple mics, live, and in the home-torture chamber...

Seems to give some range of capability, to my ears,... it has the tube drive as well as a separate gain stage. And it's not particularly noisy. I do understand from some that the Blue Tube is a tad 'hissy'. Haven't tried it, though.

Unless you're moving into a higher price bracket, yep, it seems you can just go get something to bring your signal up to line-level. The hybrid (tube/solid-state) idea is fun. And the Tube-Pre has that cool (read: Bogus) red LED where the tube is!

Good luck!

Oh! Sorry, the above post mentions the Blue Tube DP, which I think is different from the plain old "Blue Tube".
Old 4th August 2005
Here for the gear

I've used it for 2years now and I'm really satisfied with it! Very good for and warm-sounding for bassguitar, it also has spdif outs, 24bits 44,1-96khz. Wordclock

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search