The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Run soft-synths through analog hardware?
Old 16th May 2009
RTR
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony--> View Post
I wasn't disagreeing with what the general consensus was, I was referring to these kind of remarks that gets a bit see below.....
I dig, kinda like the..WHAT MIC FOR RAP ****thumbsup
Old 17th May 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcb4t2 View Post
+1 to the comment about songs coming before analog warmth...

But also, it seems like a lot of these suggestions (fatso, reel-to-reel machine, nice tube amps, etc....) cost about the same as some good vintage synths might....
Lately I've been running a lot through a GT Brick. It's one of those experiments that worked out much better than I had expected.
Old 5th June 2009
Gear Addict

guitar amp recommendations

I don't know anything about guitar amps, growing up totally ITB. Could anyone please recommend a good (relatively affordable) amp to run soft-synths through?
Old 5th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi PHi View Post
I don't know anything about guitar amps, growing up totally ITB. Could anyone please recommend a good (relatively affordable) amp to run soft-synths through?

My knee jerk reaction to this question is to say it doesn't really matter that much.

Per my taste, synths should be a bit dirty, fat, whatever. Depends what kind of music you're up to, of course.

I am using a fairly cheap Gallien Kruger Bass amp that's 100W (bought it for like $250), and I mike that up with a Beyerdynamic Soundstar MK II (think SM7b only cheaper and harder to find).

The sounds I get are awesome... so much better than straight digital.

You lose definition for sure, but the trade off is well worth it, in my opinion.

If I was really going to be ideal, I suppose I'd go for a nice Ampeg stack.
Old 5th June 2009
Lives for gear

Just make sure you get something with good bass. A bass amp is a good idea, me thinks.

They sound better on everything, including guitars. (*ducks*!)
Old 5th June 2009
Gear Addict

Post I'm not sure it matters that much.

I currently use a Radial RMP (Re-Amp box) running into a small Vox Practice Amp that I bought for £60. its probably only 10W -15W.

Stick an sm57 in front of the Amp.

I used to use a Roland Jazz Chorus 50 for it occasionally cause it was there and I liked adding the crappy Amp Reverb effect or the Chorus to Synth parts.

At the time I didn't have the Re-Amp Box which made it difficult to get the right Level into the Amp. my Audio Interface output signal was too hot for the Amp.

I mostly use the Amp to run background Keyboard parts thorough. or incidental parts where you don't need (or want) a lot of Bass. and I want it to sould pretty ****.

On the above Bass Amp note - I'd only worry about it being a Bass Amp if you are intending to Re-Amp & Mic Bass Synth parts. where you woudl be concerned with loss of too much low end.
Old 5th June 2009
Lives for gear

I'm a sucker for low frequency and mellow sound, so my taste is pretty individual.

I just think you'd cover more territory with a bass amp (on a budget) b/c you can cover both high and low with one, if needs be.
Old 8th June 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by desotoslo View Post
I'm a sucker for low frequency and mellow sound, so my taste is pretty individual.

I just think you'd cover more territory with a bass amp (on a budget) b/c you can cover both high and low with one, if needs be.
I don't know I think the Bass Amp would have too much bass. and part of the Appeal is the thinning out of the Sound for me. YOu don't want too much bass in there.
Old 8th June 2009

I have a few questions on miking up a synth.

1) Is it basically the same process of miking a synth just like you're miking a guitar? I'm talking about mic positioning and how it gets you different EQ/tone.

2) If you're blending the DI synth track with the miked track, won't there be phasing problems? Correcting them is no big deal, but... yeah.

3) Is it ok to mic up one of your monitors instead of a guitar cab? I have both to choose from!

4) This may sound ridiculous to some, but what about dual miking synths on a guitar cab? Or dual miking your monitors?

The possibilities seem endless
Old 9th June 2009
Lives for gear

re: miking monitors... I may be wrong, but I believe William Whitman passes all his synthesized sources through his monitors and mikes them.

he posts around here, may be worth asking him about!
Old 18th June 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Magic Hoof View Post
I have a few questions on miking up a synth.

2) If you're blending the DI synth track with the miked track, won't there be phasing problems? Correcting them is no big deal, but... yeah.

3) Is it ok to mic up one of your monitors instead of a guitar cab? I have both to choose from!
I've tried Mic-ing my monitors in the 'Control Room' but I found it made later mixing a bit weird for those parts as you can't tell if they sit right cause they already have the 'sound of the monitor' / 'room' on them. you know?

you are trying to hear the recorded sound of the room/monitors when listening IN the room.

if i was micing up monitors I think i'd want to mic up a different brand in a different room to the ones i'm using in the Control room.

and yeah if you mix with DI / non Mic-ed track you will need to delay the DI to correct for timing differences. - in the same way that you do if you are taking a Bass DI + Amp track. which is pretty easy to fix.
Old 8th December 2014
Gear Head
time for a resurrection!!
I have a quick question: how can I run a soft synth (on the computer/from the interface) into my mixer and back into my interface? is there a way or do i need to use another computer to do that?
Old 8th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by korgdude View Post
time for a resurrection!!
I have a quick question: how can I run a soft synth (on the computer/from the interface) into my mixer and back into my interface? is there a way or do i need to use another computer to do that?
Yes, just find a proper plugin in your DAW and put it into Insert slot.

In Logic it's called I/O:

In Live "External FX":
Old 9th December 2014
Gear Head
wow that's awesome! thanks!!
Old 9th December 2014
Gear Maniac

I've by trying that thru the nail by a designs been really adding a lot of dimension and re am ping also helps a lot coupled with the compressor
Old 9th December 2014
Lives for gear

This is also a good read: Analogue Warmth
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsolo View Post
Any time you send a signal through copper cable, it's going to affect the sound.

Warmth is usually a loss of high end with a boost in the low-mids. That's why older recordings sound different, it's more of an EQ thing.

The easiest thing IMHO is to run it through a quality pre (Daking comes to mind)

But PSP vintage warmer is a good plug that will give you a tape saturation sound.

And the whole record it from the mains is really just a reamp process.

It depends on the synth sound you're going for. Those big sub-bass lines will need to be treated differently than a heavy-overtone, buzzy lead.

But digital overtones have a different tone. Sometimes just running it from your DA, through a copper cable into your AD will add what you're looking for. Start there, it's cheap.
Good point, I still think the source has to be good (sorry this wasn't meant to be on your comment)
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I heartily agree with the amp / reamping idea getting the sounds into the real world and moving some air make a big difference
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

mixanalog.com lets you print practically any audio tracks you want, to tape, for something like 5 euros for a 15 minute session--then you get it bounced back to you as an up to 192,000khz, 24-bit audio file. It also has a rev c 1176 and a fairchild 670 which you can (currently) use for free. Everything sounds great and it's all in realtime via remote control so you can tweak the settings yourself.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepCircle View Post
mixanalog.com lets you print practically any audio tracks you want, to tape, for something like 5 euros for a 15 minute session--then you get it bounced back to you as an up to 192,000khz, 24-bit audio file. It also has a rev c 1176 and a fairchild 670 which you can (currently) use for free. Everything sounds great and it's all in realtime via remote control so you can tweak the settings yourself.

Just checked these out and their chat service is excellent. Willl be trying them out
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Electro-Harmonics makes something towards that line of thought. I was considering one of these for similar purposes... May be worth a try?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...-shaping-pedal
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

whoa… i just realized this topic was started in 2009.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

War ... war never changes.

Uh, right. The topic.

In case it matters: toobs ‘n tape. I have found these to be the best solutions to digital coldness/hardness/sterility/unpleasantness/genocide/whatever. Got yer sat ‘n comp right here.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search