The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pick a subwoofer!
Old 27th July 2005
Gear Head

Pick a subwoofer!

Hi all!

I have Dynaudio BM15 (passive) monitors and I'm thinking of adding a subwoofer. I went to some local shops and found out two models that appeal to me: Hafler TRM12.1 and KRK V12 Series 2. Also offered are Dynaudio subs but they're quite more pricey so I give up on them, though I believe they are the best match (same manufacturer!).

What do you think should I pick?
Old 28th July 2005
Gear Addict

I use Genelec 7070a. They´re really sweet sounding, give you a realistic picture for serious judgement and have more than enough headroom. Maybe the 7060A will do for you. Give ´em a try !

Bill
Old 28th July 2005
Gear Maniac

In my limited knowledge of subwoofers i would say that: Generally speaking Melodyne subs are a very good value. They sound great and are very affordable.
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatzz
In my limited knowledge of subwoofers i would say that: Generally speaking Melodyne subs are a very good value. They sound great and are very affordable.
Melodyne? Maybe mean Velodyne?
Old 28th July 2005
Gear Maniac

lol, my bad
Old 30th July 2005
Gear Head

Genelecs are too expensive for me right now. Yes of course - 7070A kicks b*tt - but that's way above my budget!
Velodynes look cool on their website. I've never heard of them. But I'm unable to get one here in Croatia
Old 30th July 2005
Lives for gear

I have a Hafler 10" sub and it's very nice. Doesn't play quite as deep as I'd like but still respectable.

Check out Bag End and M&K if you haven't already. The bigger Polk Audio subs actually sound very nice also.
Old 31st July 2005
Lives for gear

The Velodyne's OK if you you won't be "leaning" heavily on your sub.
Old 5th August 2005
Here for the gear

Cool the thing about subs

with subs 1/2 of the equation is how well they work with your moniters in your room! most were designed with specific hig cabs in mind! be very careful or you might find that you get lowend but major problems in the crossover region!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search