The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
tom micing
Old 27th July 2005
Gear Head

tom micing

How do u guys go about mikeing rack and floor toms?
i heer a good old sm57 in the way to go but how is the shure Beta 56A?
or other mics?
any thoughts ??
Old 27th July 2005
Lives for gear

Someone on the tapeop web forum said once that he loved the Octava MK012. That's what I'll do if I'm micing toms... I think it sounds pretty cool--and all for $100 a pair at Guitar Center.
Old 27th July 2005
Lives for gear

I'm a 421 or 604 fan myself.
Old 27th July 2005
Gear Maniac

I was just going to post the same thing, you can get a 3 pack of e604's now for like $300...go for that.
Old 27th July 2005
Lives for gear

I use 421 and a RE20 mainly for tom and floor mic. I don't like the 504 in the studio. I used to use some condensers for a little while - there are so many option - just start with one and try the next

Jo
Old 27th July 2005
Lives for gear

421's on rack toms and a D112 on floor tom. ATM25's are also really cool. Or even Studio Projects B1's on the cheap.

Brad
Old 28th July 2005
Gear Maniac

421's are king on toms... ..
Old 28th July 2005

That would be MD 421 on top, AKG C418 on bottom if needed (good with IBP's). Tuning the toms is the hardest part in getting a good sound IMHO
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by username
421's are king on toms... ..

if so, then a Neumann U-87 is Emperor Of The Universe on toms. Seriously. Not that I trust 2 or 3 U-87's that close to most drummers, but if the player is a skilled pro it's well worth the risk.

I've used a lot of 421's too, nothing wrong with them. But because everyone seems to use 421's on toms I've been conciously trying to avoid them lately. (Actually I've been conciously trying to avoid tom mics period, but that's a topic for another thread.) Been real happy with E-V RE15's, especially when I need better off-axis isolation than a 421 yields. Audix D2's & D4's, Shure SM98's, and Ramsa S-1's have also proven handy.

But try the U-87, trust me, it'll rock your world.
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

I do use the SENN 604 on the toms with GREAT resultat
Old 28th July 2005
Sm7

Would love to try the Sennheisers one day...

Can I just add that once in about 2 years I get an amazing tom sound just from the OVERHEAD mic's... and hardly need close mic's.. that for me is the ultimate tom situation..

but it needs IMHO

great room (perhaps a 100 year old barn.. castle anyone?)
great kit
great drummer
great mics
great pres
Luck

(in that order)
Old 28th July 2005
Gear Maniac

I am the one that loves the 012's on toms. I was trying something smaller than a 414 on toms (i hate 421's on toms). I tried some altec M20's, liked them, then some Neumann KM84's, then on a whim tried the oktava's. this was in 1999, and I havent used anything else since. The 012's I have just do something right. the right "thwack" to "boom" ration without EQ at all. Amazing on toms. that is actually the only thing i use the 012's for, because I have better choices for almost everything else..
Old 28th July 2005
Gear Head

Those 421's are going for about $510.00 a pop thats a hell of a lot for tom mics :P do u guys use them one per tom? say u had to mic up one of those Metal monster size kits and it had 6 toms thats $3060 just for tom mics or do u guys use one mic per 2 toms?
what do u think wold be the beater alturnative?
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Hamilton
I am the one that loves the 012's on toms. I was trying something smaller than a 414 on toms (i hate 421's on toms). I tried some altec M20's, liked them, then some Neumann KM84's, then on a whim tried the oktava's. this was in 1999, and I havent used anything else since. The 012's I have just do something right. the right "thwack" to "boom" ration without EQ at all. Amazing on toms. that is actually the only thing i use the 012's for, because I have better choices for almost everything else..

Yeah, that's right, you were the one who posted that. I apprecite it, Joel. thumbsup
Old 28th July 2005
Gear Addict

I like audix d2's and d4's lately.

Beez
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by azz
Those 421's are going for about $510.00 a pop thats a hell of a lot for tom mics :P do u guys use them one per tom? say u had to mic up one of those Metal monster size kits and it had 6 toms thats $3060 just for tom mics or do u guys use one mic per 2 toms?
what do u think wold be the beater alturnative?
My first thought would be to ditch some toms dude! $510 seems really high...I bought all of mine used between $200-$300. Most drummers I record have only two toms...a smaller percentage use three. If there are more than three toms, then we inevitably leave some in their cases.

The Sennheiser e604's are cheaper alternatives. I have not tried mine on toms, but really dig it on snare.

Brad
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Hamilton

Are you using the pads with those? Cardioid or hypercardioid capsules? I tried my Oktavas on toms once and wasn't blown away. They sounded fine, but nothing too amazing. Maybe I should try them again. I was more thrilled with the sound I got out of those cheap Studio Projects B1's on toms.

Brad
Old 28th July 2005
Dot
Lives for gear

I think 57's can work for toms on live applications, but they sound like **** on toms in the studio - unless you like a cardboard "splat" sort of sound.

421's are a classic tom mic. We've been getting excellent results on toms with Studio Projects B1 on racks and B3 on floor. B1's also work well on OH's.
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

U87 rocks on tom - I used it all the time but lately I've come back to the 421 because it's the sound everybody knows for rock toms

Jo
Old 28th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Audio Technica ATM25
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

I go with 421s for rack toms and a U87 or Beyer M88 on floor tom.
Old 28th July 2005
TLM103's and D112 on floor (or TLM103)

I'd prefer U195's but I don't want them getting bashed.
Attached Thumbnails
tom micing-dentedtlm.jpg  
Old 28th July 2005
Dot
Lives for gear

I'd agree with Nathan on the 103's. They're are also excellent on snare.
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

Yeah, during the short time I owned a TLM103, the one place I thought it excelled was on drums. I once got a great sound looking over a drummer's shoulder at a spot around the snare and rack tom. Both the snare and the tom sounded good in that mic!

Also had good luck miking a toy piano with a TLM103 too...even though we had the mic facing the wrong way. heh

Brad
Old 29th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan
Are you using the pads with those? Cardioid or hypercardioid capsules? I tried my Oktavas on toms once and wasn't blown away. They sounded fine, but nothing too amazing. Maybe I should try them again. I was more thrilled with the sound I got out of those cheap Studio Projects B1's on toms.

Brad
Using the -10 pads and the cardioid capsules. Maybe I just have a good pair, bought them in '99. They are MC-012's. I also have 4 more of them, and they all kind of rock on toms, though. I actually like them a lot with either a 1073, or an averill 1272 for different results.

I am not psychotically picky about mic choice for a given source, but I do LOVE the 012's on the toms.
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules
Sm7

Would love to try the Sennheisers one day...

Can I just add that once in about 2 years I get an amazing tom sound just from the OVERHEAD mic's... and hardly need close mic's.. that for me is the ultimate tom situation..

but it needs IMHO

great room (perhaps a 100 year old barn.. castle anyone?)
great kit
great drummer
great mics
great pres
Luck

(in that order)
I agree about getting the sound in the OHs if possible. On the album I just finished up on, about half the songs ended up being K, Sn, & 2 OHs. I didn't even need the close tom mics. If you can get the snare and toms to sound good in the OHs, the close mics are just for flavor at that point. Jules is right, you MUST be in a great room, with a great kit and drummer. If you don't have those 3 first forget it, you're mics and pres won't save you. What's this thing called luck??

And since when do 421s actually retail for $510? That's the list price. If you're paying more than $350 new, you're getting ripped off.
Old 29th July 2005
C/G
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan
421's on rack toms and a D112 on floor tom. ATM25's are also really cool. Or even Studio Projects B1's on the cheap.

Brad
The B1 is pretty cheap. Around $119 so they are as cheap as the E604 and Audix D2, D4 combo I have been looking at for use when I play live. I just want them for live use. Have you tried these live or just in the studio?
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

421's for rock guys and 414TLII's for jazz or country. Most of the time I'm hoping to get it all through the room and overheads but having the close mics is comforting. I always wanted to try Sennheiser 409's but never jumped on board before they stopped making them.
Old 30th July 2005
Gear Head

How do you put a Studio Projects B1 over 13" tom? Isn't it a bit difficult considering B1's size? Also, is there a problem with leakage on this mic? I guess it captures a lot of snare!
...just my loud thinking...
Old 30th July 2005
Lives for gear

I agree with Joel 100% on the Oktava MC/MK012s. I've been using them for several years now. I have six of them and a couple of years ago, I got a pair with multiple capsules, so I tried the hypercardioids, which I LOVE on the top side of the toms. I generally find that they sound better a bit farther back from the drums than I was initially used to miking, but the results are pretty great--like Joel said, without any EQ. I do also use the -10dB pads. I've even tried putting a couple pads in line, which yeilds an interesting sound. It sort of dulls the mic and flattens out the attack and to my ears, makes it sound a bit more like a 421. It's not something I do a lot now, but it's another interesting option.

Recently, I've been going back to a few of the other mics I've used and liked in the past, just to see if my perspective has changed and it hasn't really. The AT 4050s still stack up pretty well, as do the Neumann KM84s (not the 184s), but even though 414s, U87s, U89s, and 451s all sound pretty cool, I still have to do a bunch more tweaking than I do with the Oktavas.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search