The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
comments on art tube mp....?
Old 27th July 2005
Lives for gear

comments on art tube mp....?

i'm trying this out for a friend getting into recording. ie..low budget.
having read a lot of negatives and some positives about it - some from people with lot of recording experience....i thought in the spirit of keeping an open mind i would do my own assessment. people said it was noisy for example. i havent found that. it DOES seem setting is important.
did a few test tracks with friend...and while not a hi end pre...the tracks are certainly very usable. maybe this particular one we are testing is a "lucky one".
but my question is - what have other people found ? i'm just trying to be open minded.
Old 27th July 2005
Lives for gear

I still got 2 ART PRO MPAs, the first one I bought when I didn't know any better and found to be way overpriced, the second one I bought for somethng like $ 250 second-hand because I needed more inputs.

I only use them when I run out of channels on my 'good' pres, so they often end up on say toms.

On a recent live demo tracking involving myself as guitar player for a trio I miked my Marshall cab with a Beyer M160 and put it thru the ART.
I was really impressed with the results, the ART is less 'solid' or 'full' than the TG-2 I normally use on guitars but the sound was really good and very 'analogue'.

The very first CD I ever recorded/produced was done solely with one ART pre.
What I did was setting the input in PT to -10db, it just sounded better when the ART's output was kept low. Noise wasn't an issue, the ARTs aren't noiser than the 'good' pres like the TG-2 or the UA-2108 I own now.

Here are a few mp3 examples:

http://www.mark-wise.com/english/html/songs.html

Andi

www.doorknocker.ch
Old 27th July 2005
Lives for gear

doorknocker....my goodness lovely samples !! YOU are very talented !!
your a heck of a blues vocallist. GREAT STUFF !! (blues get ya and the others....BEAUTIFULL !!)
thanks. actually - like you...i'm finding i'm quite surprised by the product.
one KEY ive found already is to not crank the knobs. for example i already discovered a trick. ie....take the output of the mp into a line mixer and the line mixer pushing up the gain a bit...thus allowing keeping the output knob on the mp down.
you have a wonderfull character/intonation/texture to your vocals. highly impressive.
Old 27th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by manning1
your a heck of a blues vocallist. GREAT STUFF !! (blues get ya and the others....BEAUTIFULL !!)
one KEY ive found already is to not crank the knobs. for example i already discovered a trick. ie....take the output of the mp into a line mixer and the line mixer pushing up the gain a bit...thus allowing keeping the output knob on the mp down.
you have a wonderfull character/intonation/texture to your vocals. highly impressive.
manning1,

thanks for the compliments! I really appreciate it, but let's give credit where credit's due: The voice is courtesy of my good friend Mark Wise, who hails from California but is stationed in Germany since a few years.

The first 3 samples are from our first CD that I recorded on a Digi 001 with the ART PRO MPA as the main preamp.
Vocals were all done with an AKG 414 B-ULS, i still use it on most singers I record here though the SM7 has become a favorite too recently.

I attribute the texture/sound of the vocals mainly to Mark's great voice/singing, what also really helps is my 'vocal room' which is my living room in fact. I started to record there because the reverb character/sound seems just perfect for vocals and acoustic instruments. (high ceiling/wood floor).

The one great piece of equipment I had from the beginning is a NTP 179-170 comp.
It really did help on these first recordings because it's incredibly transparent and it lets you push the input without any danger of distortion. More recently and for more rock-type stuff I also use the UA 6176 a lot on vocals.

thanks for listening

Andi

www.doorknocker.ch
Old 27th July 2005
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by manning1
.. ...Ditto..!
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

doorknocker...
well tell your friend mark then he is very gifted imho.

listening to such high talent pushed me today to try really really much harder to improve my own engineering skills as i was track laying today a new song i wrote.
all credit to you as well..and whoever else worked on those tunes.

my conclusion so far is the mp is a pretty decent device as long as one doesnt push it too much, and in conjunction with a line mixer to add any needed gain from the output of the mp. thus allowing one to lower the output knob on the mp.

all the very best...and thanks for comments on the art stuff.
i'm just trying to help someone new to recording with the mp.
Old 29th July 2005
Gear Maniac

I have a Dual MP in the rack that I primarily use for destruction at line level. It is one of my favorite limited bandwidth limiters at line level.....

As a mic pre, I have used it AFTER another mic pre just for some "fur."
All joking aside, it is not my go-to mic pre, but it will certinly work, and it really depends on about 10 billion other things as to whether the track sounds "good" in the end anyway. It is kind of the peavey combo amp of mic pre's: it will never be a hiwatt, but it will work every time you ask it to.
Totally worth the 38 centes they seem to sell for on ebay all the time...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search