The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
just built an isobox for my guitar cabs
Old 26th July 2005
Gear Nut

just built an isobox for my guitar cabs

Hey, me and a friend just finished building an iso box for recording guitars on high volume without disturbing the neighbours, Here's some pictures, we'll post some mp3's when we finished it...
Attached Thumbnails
just built an isobox for my guitar cabs-start.jpg   just built an isobox for my guitar cabs-ray1.jpg   just built an isobox for my guitar cabs-ininnerbox.jpg   just built an isobox for my guitar cabs-gluemaroen1.jpg   just built an isobox for my guitar cabs-insidebox.jpg  

Old 26th July 2005
Gear Nut

some more pics...
Attached Thumbnails
just built an isobox for my guitar cabs-muts.jpg   just built an isobox for my guitar cabs-emptyboxes.jpg   just built an isobox for my guitar cabs-out.jpg   just built an isobox for my guitar cabs-outerbox.jpg   just built an isobox for my guitar cabs-fit.jpg  

Old 26th July 2005
Gear Nut

and more...
Attached Thumbnails
just built an isobox for my guitar cabs-boxinbox.jpg   just built an isobox for my guitar cabs-boxinbox2.jpg   just built an isobox for my guitar cabs-box.jpg   just built an isobox for my guitar cabs-end.jpg   just built an isobox for my guitar cabs-plugz.jpg  

Old 26th July 2005
Lives for gear

Coool

Great job on that one, seems very well made
Old 26th July 2005
Lives for gear

looks like you did a great job....

be well

- jack
Old 26th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Let us know how it sounds, I may be interested in building one, too.
Old 26th July 2005

Good construction technique. Nice box.

Does the Boston Terrier change the sound much???

-tINY

Old 26th July 2005
If you are mixing "in the box" I hope you thought to include air holes so you can breath!
Old 26th July 2005
What kind of materials have you used? Have you tried it already? How does it sound?
What about a list of materials?
Thanks a lot and nice job!
Old 26th July 2005
Here for the gear

He Maroen!
Nice one!!!

We used MDF 10mm, outside box measures 120x80x80 cm, inside box 110x70x70. Big enough to house a 1x12 cab, probably a 2x12 as well.
It weighs about a ton, I wouldn't want to move it (too often), but hey if it's heavy it'll stop sound, and that's what it does!

I designed this box for Maroen after testing the smaller version myself. More info>DogHouse on BAM
Old 26th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules
If you are mixing "in the box" I hope you thought to include air holes so you can breath!
heh Oh my god, i was literally rolling on the floor laughing....

As far as the IsoBox: looks very cool to me! Do you have the chance
to measure it´s damping factor? Would be good to know...
Old 27th July 2005
Gear Maniac

I wanna build something like this for my G4... anyone done it? Obviously gotta do something with air circ too.

s
Old 27th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarsland
I wanna build something like this for my G4... anyone done it? Obviously gotta do something with air circ too.

s
Which model do you have? Quicksilver or Mirrored Drive Door?
I remember working an MDD model, noisy as hell....

Mine (Gigabit Ethernet) has Dual-CPU with passive cooling...
Old 27th July 2005
Gear Addict

HOW DOES IT SOUND!!!
Old 28th July 2005
Gear Nut

Okay,

Did the first recordings, some pre-production for a progressive weird time signature rock thing, and we used my bogner ecstacy head plugged in to the "doghouse" with a Paul Reed Smith Custom 24, well..the box sure does it's job! The volume of the Bogner was set to 9 and I could hear it coming from the box but it was hardly noticable!

Will post Mp3's when I have some time to spare
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleGuitars
Okay,

The volume of the Bogner was set to 9 and I could hear it coming from the box but it was hardly noticable!

Will post Mp3's when I have some time to spare
Uhmm, set to 9 - or set to 9o`clock? Kinda difference... heh

Hey, could you do us a favor? Place a condenser in front of your
electric guitar while you´re sittin (and playin´) on your doghouse.
Then everyone can get an impression of how good your construction
works...good idea?

Would be great, since we all think that your efforts resulted in a very
good isobox.
Old 28th July 2005
Gear Nut

Will do, and yes the volume was set on 9 (not nin o' clock)
Old 28th July 2005
Gear Maniac

This is absolutely a fantastic design and idea. Good work.
You've given me ideas.

B
Old 29th July 2005
Gear Addict

i wonder does the guitars sound small and contained? sometimes you want to hear room sound.
Old 29th July 2005
while we wait to hear from purple (looks awesome)

do you think this sounds "small and contained?

http://www.selectivestitching.com/ncnc/4030.wav

it is a randall isocab with a vintage 30, a 57 and a 421
recording this style of music (heavier stuff) I dont really want any room in it.
same concept if anyones curious about the isocab
Old 29th July 2005
Gear Nut

Very nice job Purple!

I built one as well but the construction was no where as sexy as yours... I used the vinly stuff and mineral wool covered with sheets. Insulation stripping where the door closes. There's not much sound that escapes and you can easily have a conversation next to the box while the Marshalls are set to 11. Just some LF's escape. I sometimes just use 1 cabinet lengthwise and change out cabinets but it is a major PITA.

It actually sounds pretty good but different since it's "in the box"... It does sound better with the door partly open and a mic in the room but that's almost defeating the purpose. Sounds MUCH better than anything software.

The little amps get recorded directly in the room but the cabs need to be cranked
Attached Thumbnails
just built an isobox for my guitar cabs-1.jpg   just built an isobox for my guitar cabs-2.jpg  
Old 17th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dach View Post
Very nice job Purple!

I built one as well but the construction was no where as sexy as yours... I used the vinly stuff and mineral wool covered with sheets. Insulation stripping where the door closes. There's not much sound that escapes and you can easily have a conversation next to the box while the Marshalls are set to 11. Just some LF's escape. I sometimes just use 1 cabinet lengthwise and change out cabinets but it is a major PITA.

It actually sounds pretty good but different since it's "in the box"... It does sound better with the door partly open and a mic in the room but that's almost defeating the purpose. Sounds MUCH better than anything software.

The little amps get recorded directly in the room but the cabs need to be cranked
hello - do you have any plans you could perhaps show me in regards to your isobox? im needing to buildone but at a stump as to how to build....

any tips you can reccomend?

any sound clips too?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search