The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
1st pair of GOOD monitors
Old 26th July 2005
Gear Head

1st pair of GOOD monitors

Hi, I'm in the process of deciding which nearfield monitors to get next. I've been mixing on some pretty cheap wharfedale monitors so I can't wait to step up to some decent speakers! So far I'm looking at Genelec 1031a's, Dynaudio BM6a's (the BM15a's seem a bit big to use as nearfields to me), KRK V8's, and Mackie HR824's. At this stage I think the genelec's would be the maximum my budget could extend to but if theres a better option for a little bit more then i dont mind saving for a little bit longer. I'm interested to know what you guys think of these monitors and which ones you would recommend. Thanks.
Old 26th July 2005
Also consider Event Asp 8s, i just picked up a pair and they are amazing monitors for $1200.
Old 26th July 2005
Lives for gear

For the money of 1031's, you could probably get PMC TB2S-A's, which are far superior imo.
Best is to do a listening test of course, as tastes can differ.
Old 26th July 2005
Gear Head

Thanks for the suggestions, at this stage I'm not ruling anything out. I've got pretty good access to a pair of 1031a's and the mackies so i plan to spend quite a bit of time listening before i make any final decisions. I'm still interested to hear any thoughts on the monitors that have been mentioned so far.
Old 26th July 2005
Lives for gear

Don't forget about the new(er) Alesis DSP monitors

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ProLin820DSP/
Old 26th July 2005

Add the KRK V6 II to your audition list. You might look at a used NHTpro set-up too.

-tINY

Old 26th July 2005
you've got like hundreds to consider here!
Old 26th July 2005
Gear Head

Although they are passive you should really consider the B&W Matrix 805s. If they are good enough for Electrical...

I have the Nautilus 805s at home and they are incredible.

Matrix 805's can be had for $500-$800 a pair depending on condition. Best part is they will hold their value better than most others so if you want something else in the future you'll get most of your money back out of them.

In my (hobby) studio space I have Yamaha NS-10s and Advent Prodigys for my daily use. When it's time to do serious mixing I just bring my B&Ws from home.
Old 27th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Hey I didn't know B&W made nearfields.. thats cool. I have a pair of the 602's with the matched powered sub and center channel at home.. great sound!

Anyway, very happy with the 824's that I have.
Old 27th July 2005
Gear Nut

I've been VERY happy with my B&W CDM 1SE's.

Old 27th July 2005
Gear Nut

BTW, you should be able to pick up a pair for 700-800 bucks. You'll need a good amp and cables to go with them though.
Old 27th July 2005
Gear Head

Smile

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys, you've given me heaps to consider!! Now i just have to hunt down the speakers i haven't heard yet for a listen. I'd definitely prefer active speakers to passives, at this stage im not confident enough with having to find an amp that compliments the speakers well. With actives it's one less decision i have to worry about and that suits me fine.
Old 27th July 2005
Lives for gear

Paradigm Reference Series ... awesome !
Old 27th July 2005
C/G
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock
I've been VERY happy with my B&W CDM 1SE's.

They are awesome. I have them at home but will designate them as an extra set of nearfields once I upgrade to bigger B&W's at home.
Old 27th July 2005
Gear Nut

I did the nearfield search last fall. The ones I listened to were:

Dynaudio Bm5a and Bm15a
PMC TB2S-A
New Genelecs 80xx series the two bigger sizes of the nearfields.
Krks Can't remember the model.
Fostex Pm2
Some Phonic model
Tannoy reveal active
Adam S2A
Previous experience with Genelecs 1029 and 1030

Reference listening to:
Christian Lindberg and Monica Groop, Baroque music for trombone and voice.
Hank Mobley, Soul station
Toto, the seventh one
Tweet, Southern hummingbird
Frank Sinatra, La is my lady and Songs for swingin Lovers
One really arrangement busy EWF record
Johnny Lang, Wander this World
+ own recordings

The PMCs won hands down on everything with Dynaudio BM5A a bit behind. They sounded bass hyped in comparison.

For me it was a question of clarity and stereo imaging. The PMCs also had a sense of 3D. With all the others the sound clearly came from the speakers but with the PMCs the sound really came off off the speakers themselves. More 3D. I am really happy with them.

Give them a try.

/A
Old 27th July 2005

I wouldn't call speakers over $1200 for a pair "low end".

What's the budget, mate?

-tINY

Old 28th July 2005
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY

I wouldn't call speakers over $1200 for a pair "low end".

What's the budget, mate?

-tINY

Yeah, im sorry about that, i didn't realise until after i made the post that i had put it in the wrong forum. As for the budget the Genelec 1031a's are as far as my budget extends. I'm not sure what they go for in US dollars though but that should hopefully give you an idea of my budget.
Old 28th July 2005
Gear Maniac

I think you have listed some very decent in your first post. Maybe try them about at home and see what you like. IMO, listening to monitors in the store will NOT do you any good.

I can remember how often i thought i had the perfect monitor in the store than i came home and tried to mix on it.

The only sure way to know if maybe see if you can have them in your home for a week/ or two and try and do some mixing on them.
Old 28th July 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Maybe try them about at home and see what you like. IMO, listening to monitors in the store will NOT do you any good.
Amen to that! The room you monitor in will be completely different than a store environment. Same goes for listening to them at another studio. The only "real" way is to hear them in your mixing environment. Unfortunately, that's not always an option I guess. Also, if it's possible budget-wise, it's money well spent to try to get your mixing space treated acoustically. This is a major item that sometimes gets overlooked because there's so much other gear to get (mics, front end, etc.).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search