The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Small analogue desk to replace 01V?
Old 25th July 2005
Lives for gear

Small analogue desk to replace 01V?

I am looking to upgrade from my 01V for my writing set-up at home. After slutting it out here for a week or two, I have started to think maybe a move to an analogue desk would be better than just getting an 01V96.

The way i use my setup just now, i have 8 ADAT ins to my computer, and 8 outs. I use 9 analogue inputs at the moment on the desk, may need room to expand as well (16 i suppose is sensible). I could live with only 4 sends to the computer, but would like to keep the 8 returns, and also the ability to use auxes with the returns. I dont need heeps of mic inputs at all, 4 is loads. I could even go all line and just use external mic pre's when I need to.

I have an RME 96/8 card that I am still very happy with after 5 years, but could upgrade that unless there was a good quality 8 in / 8 out ADAT - > analogue converter out there... but these days, they just should work firewire anyway, right? An RME Fireface would be nice, but seems overkill.

Anyone got any ideas? Budget was about £1400 (price of a new 01V96), but could be shrunk happily or stretched for quality and functionality.

Allen & heath mixwiz looks interesting, although some features look to be more for live sound.

Creating and sometimes mixing dance music (electronic ****), pop, hip hop, rock, folk, latin, voice overs, classical, jazz, country, reggae, soul, funk... mostly like deeper stuff, bit of dirt never hurt anything :-) Producers I like - King Tubby (hero) / Al Santiago / Adrian Sherwood...

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end-theory/37537-small-used-mixer-good-sound.html Similar thread, but I can't find the Sony in the UK, and I'm not that big on the Soundcrafts. Also, desk needs to be rackmountable if possible.
Old 26th July 2005
tuf
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Hz
I am looking to upgrade from my 01V for my writing set-up at home. After slutting it out here for a week or two, I have started to think maybe a move to an analogue desk would be better than just getting an 01V96.

The way i use my setup just now, i have 8 ADAT ins to my computer, and 8 outs. I use 9 analogue inputs at the moment on the desk, may need room to expand as well (16 i suppose is sensible). I could live with only 4 sends to the computer, but would like to keep the 8 returns, and also the ability to use auxes with the returns. I dont need heeps of mic inputs at all, 4 is loads. I could even go all line and just use external mic pre's when I need to.

I have an RME 96/8 card that I am still very happy with after 5 years, but could upgrade that unless there was a good quality 8 in / 8 out ADAT - > analogue converter out there... but these days, they just should work firewire anyway, right? An RME Fireface would be nice, but seems overkill.

Anyone got any ideas? Budget was about £1400 (price of a new 01V96), but could be shrunk happily or stretched for quality and functionality.
I went through the same sort of thing recently, and ended up with the 01v96. I actually went from an old 01v to a Mackie 32x8 and then finally to an 01v96.

I think the setup you choose depends entirely on how you work. Based on your I/O requirements, the 01v96 is a great choice for you. Also, a 24 or 32 channel analog board would also be great because you could split the board, and do all sorts of other things.

I had my Mackie all wired up to my Mac via tons of MOTU hardware. I had 24 direct outs plus the 8 busses going in, and then returning 24 channels to the tape ins. It was a nice setup, but honestly I ended up mostly using the 8 busses and a stereo return (never using the direct outs or flipping the return channels). I figured out the hard way that I was going to mix "in the box" and decided the studio space was more valuable. Plus of course I got tired of chasing down ground loops and other odd noises.

The 01v96 was the cleanest solution for me. Its actually capable of most everything the 8 bus was (its a full 32x8 mixer itself plus some), makes a hell of a controller for Cubase, and the studio manager software is incredible.

Dont let the old 01v sway your thoughts on the new 01v96....totally different animal. You can add the firewire option to the 01v96 and eliminate the audio card. With the firewire card installed in the 01v96, you get 16 I/O to the computer, 16 analog ins on the board, 8 ADAT I/O on the board, and 4 additional outs to use for whatever you wish.

If you throw an ADAT converter like the Behringer ADA8000 (or whichever you like) on the ADAT port, thats 24 physical ins, 12 physical outs, and 16 I/0 to the computer. And the fact that the 01v96 is itself a virtual patchbay makes routing input X to output X a non issue and requires no repatching of cables.

Anyway, a digital mixer may not be doing it for you. And if not, a good 8 bus mixer will do the trick. The lower priced Soundcraft, A&H, and Mackie boards are all good and useful. Any 24 channel 8 bus board would let you for example run the first 16 channels at inputs, the next 8 as returns from the computer, and allow you to use the busses for your sends. BTW if you need a Mackie 32x8 in great shape drop me a note

Oh yeah, Behringer (I know I said it again) makes a very cheap 8 bus mixer...I mean its worth looking into if youre not afraid of the big B.
Old 26th July 2005
Lives for gear

For the money, the 01V96 is gonna give you most features of course.

The MixWizard you mention is as suitable for recording/mixing actually.

Also, have a look at the Midas Venice 16, which is just at the top of your budget.
Old 26th July 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeltaM
For the money, the 01V96 is gonna give you most features of course.

The MixWizard you mention is as suitable for recording/mixing actually.

Also, have a look at the Midas Venice 16, which is just at the top of your budget.
I agree with the Doctor. the Midas is and will always be your best choice for the money you want to spend.
Mac
Old 27th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Its funny.. I am in the same conundrum (sp?) with my school studio. I have been using the 01V with ADAT out and the 4 omni outs for 3 years now. It sounds ok. I have read such great stuff about the Venice, but the problem for me is that I would still need a converter above and beyond it.

How is the ADC on the 01V96? I know the Midas is sonically better, but would require a lot more investment.

s
Old 28th July 2005
tuf
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarsland
Its funny.. I am in the same conundrum (sp?) with my school studio. I have been using the 01V with ADAT out and the 4 omni outs for 3 years now. It sounds ok. I have read such great stuff about the Venice, but the problem for me is that I would still need a converter above and beyond it.

How is the ADC on the 01V96? I know the Midas is sonically better, but would require a lot more investment.

s
The preamps in the 01v96 are much better than those in the original 01v (as evidenced by Yamahas mysterious literature) and are said to be versions of the ones they built into the bigger consoles like the DM2000, etc. Who knows how much of that is true, but I do believe they sound better.

At a glance the 01v96 might look like just an upgrade of the original but its really not...its an entirely new beast in every way. I didnt realize how different it was until I actually purchased one...and I think it really does sound quite nice.
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

Cheers for the replies so far... sounds like, on my budget, the 01V96 is still up there as my upgrade. Unless someone can come up with a killer small analogue desk / coverter combo.
Old 13th September 2005
Gear Addict

I love my Yamama 01V96. Having owned the orginal 01v and a Tascam DM24 mixer I have to say there the 01V96 is so much better. The AD in the orginal sounded brittle to my ears but the 01V96 is smooth. (I also use a Big Ben so that does smooth things out some too) I have the MY16AT card so I have 24 Adat I/O. It doubles as a control surface for Cubase (currently on 2.2039) which I use with an RME Hammerfall 96/52 audio card. The routing is so easy to understand. I really had my nights with the manual on the DM24, with the 01V96 I don't even crack the book anymore. It is a great board for the money.

-gary

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search