The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
My iPod earphones are dying, what should I get?
Old 25th July 2005
Lives for gear

My iPod earphones are dying, what should I get?

My iPod earphones are dying. I need to replace them. I like the stock Apple models. Is there something better for under $150-ish.
Old 25th July 2005
Lives for gear

Shure E3..4 or 5
Old 25th July 2005
Gear Addict

I use a pair of Shure E5s.

Aewsome!

Aaron
Old 25th July 2005
Gear Addict

Apple's got quality control issues. I went through (2) pairs of ear buds. And I seldom used them. Eventhough they were only $40, I was very dissappointed with the poor performance. Anyway, check out the IPOD forum. There are tons of folks talking about suitable replacements like:

Bang and Olson A8
Sony MDR-ex70/ex7
Senn MX500, PX100, PX200
Shure E3,E2, E5
Etymotic ER6, ER6I-P

Love the IPOD. Hate the earphones.
Old 25th July 2005
Gear Head

I love my Shure E2s and they are far less expensive than some of the other choices listed above.

They sound great and so far have been quite durable. I've given them LOTS of use for roughly a year.
Old 26th July 2005
Lives for gear

I love my Sony Fontopias for mp3's etc. They were 40 bucks and blow the ipod ones away big time. Just make sure you try the different size ear canal inserts that come with them to get the right fit and the bass will be large and smooth : )

mckay
Old 26th July 2005
Here for the gear

What kind of sound do you want? Do you want exaggerated bass or do you want well-balanced sound?

I have some Sony MDR-EX70's. I think they were around $40. Very surprising sound for the money. However, they do have an exaggerated bass and a little tizz in the high-mids. Overall though, I like them and recommend them to anyone shopping in this price range. They are very comfortable to wear for extended periods. They are also very small and almost invisible if you are wearing them on the street.

Second, I have some Shure E2's. The downside to these is that they are a little unusual in the way they are worn and do take a little getting used to. After insertion into the ear, the wires go up and around your ear, then behind it. The good part is that they are extremely polite and nice sounding. They are extremely well balanced, no exaggerated bass, mids or highs. The wires are thick and low-noise. I got the "pro" version at Guitar Center for around $80. If you see some E2c's (consumer version) at some electronics store, the only difference is the packaging. If you are constantly takings your buds out of your ears and reinserting them, I think that you may not be happy with the E2's as it is not an easy task. The Shure e2's are very visible for street wear.

If I were buying another pair of earphones today, I would go for the Shure E4's, based on the fact that I love the smooth sound of the E2's and the E4's are reputed to have better sound and a higher level of comfort. However, they are $300.
Old 26th July 2005
js1
Lives for gear

The Shure E3Cs are great, but be aware that they are earplugs that play music... By that, I mean they REALLY isolate you from the outside world. I used to use sound cancelling earphones on airplanes, but the E3cs cut out the airplane noise much better.

So, I reserve the E3Cs for when being that isolated is appropriate, and stick with the standard IPod headphones for walking around.

js
Old 26th July 2005
Lives for gear

I use the headphones for casual listening but occasionally do the iPOD mix check. I'm not into "bass boost" presets and "enhanced" sound. I don't want something so dead flat that it isn't fun to listen to, but I wan't it to resemble something natural sounding.
Old 26th July 2005
Lives for gear

I was at Mac World and tried several ones the Shures are way over priced the Bang and Olfson A8 are the best run forthe Cash $100-$120.0 on ebay.
Old 26th July 2005
Gear Addict

i like the sound of the fontopia EX-70's , but i've real issues with the strength of the cords , they seem to rip inside very soon ... i've had this problem with 2 already, and this makes them unuseable

olaf
Old 26th July 2005
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomichael
I use the headphones for casual listening but occasionally do the iPOD mix check. I'm not into "bass boost" presets and "enhanced" sound. I don't want something so dead flat that it isn't fun to listen to, but I wan't it to resemble something natural sounding.
Check out this forum... lots of info for you there.

http://headwize.com/ubb/forumdisplay.php?fnum=1
Old 26th July 2005
Lives for gear

I like my Futuresonics
Old 26th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear Curious
Check out this forum... lots of info for you there.

http://headwize.com/ubb/forumdisplay.php?fnum=1
THANKS FOR THE LINK.
Old 26th July 2005
Gear Nut

For cheap, the sennheiser mx range beat the pants off the stock ipod headphones.
Old 27th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Some audiophile experts did a comparison of the e3,4,5 and found that the differences between them were definitely not worth the money unless you have money to burn. The ec3 was good enough at $179 or so.

s
Old 27th July 2005
Gear Nut
This is my first GS post (after lurking for a while). Hi!

I prefer the Bang & Olufsen A8 earbuds. They're the only model that I can stand wearing for extended periods. The sonic quality is quite good - though I'm sure you can do marginally better. But the comfort - and the very cool design - was more important to me. Don't know the price in the US, but here in Denmark they're about $150.

(Although I'm Danish I don't really like the B&O-products. They're way overpriced and the design is not that good IMO. We can do way better in regards to Hi-Fi in Denmark. But the earbuds are good, and the only B&O-product I'll own - that is until I manage to get hold of some of their vintage mikes).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search