The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Art MPA Gold vs Sebatron VMP-2000e? Condenser Microphones
Old 12th April 2009
Lives for gear

Art MPA Gold vs Sebatron VMP-2000e?

Anyone have experience with both of these pres?
Old 12th April 2009
Lives for gear

No but i used to have a seb vmp 4k and it wasd a sweet pre, i swapped out 2 channels with some siemens ecc801/s tubes and it wasd ultra clear. I say sebatron all the way.
Old 12th April 2009
Gear addict

Yes

I own a sebatron 4000e (same pre x4) and have used the art pre.

Sebatron all the way! it's transformer balanced, sounds great! has hi/low eq switching, better build quality.. etc..

I always think that if your in a postion to buy pro gear (seb) over prosumer (art) then go with the pro gear. As the rusty old saying goes, "ya never regret buying quality."
Old 13th April 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJah View Post
Yes

I own a sebatron 4000e (same pre x4) and have used the art pre.

Sebatron all the way! it's transformer balanced, sounds great! has hi/low eq switching, better build quality.. etc..

I always think that if your in a postion to buy pro gear (seb) over prosumer (art) then go with the pro gear. As the rusty old saying goes, "ya never regret buying quality."
Did you try it with NOS tubes? I've tried the Sebatron and it just sounds different, not better.
Old 13th April 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
Anyone have experience with both of these pres?
I am curious about your comparison... a $300 pre amp verses a ~$1200 pre amp? Are they close? Meaning the Art is as good as a higher end pre or the Sebatron is not worth the money...?
Old 13th April 2009
Gear addict

I am going to follow Chris' lead and try some different NOS tubes in the ART MPA that should arrive any day now. Its coming with NOS Mullards, but I have a strong feeling I am going to prefer something with smoother mids and highs with more air and sparkle. (i.e. I think Telefunken, Siemens or Amperex Holland PQ's are going to float my boat based on an email I traded with Bowie) More to come!
Old 13th April 2009
Lives for gear

To be honest, a 300 pres to a 1200 pres is not a fair comparison. The art pre tube is fed on a starved rail, meaning the tube doesn't get as much juice as its supposed to, where as the sebatron is supplied with the correct amount of electricity. The tubes will make a difference in the mpa, but the difference will not be as dramatic as you would expect. I say save up and get another pre. My 2 cents.
Old 13th April 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 View Post
To be honest, a 300 pres to a 1200 pres is not a fair comparison. The art pre tube is fed on a starved rail, meaning the tube doesn't get as much juice as its supposed to, where as the sebatron is supplied with the correct amount of electricity. The tubes will make a difference in the mpa, but the difference will not be as dramatic as you would expect. I say save up and get another pre. My 2 cents.
I disagree, the Nos telefunken makes a huge difference!
Old 13th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislago View Post
I've tried the Sebatron and it just sounds different, not better.
Hi Chris. How did you find the tone compared on these 2 preamps?
Old 13th April 2009
Lives for gear

I noticed that the Sebatron has different EQ settings but no low cut or hi pass filters.
This is a feature I want in a preamp. My ART has a very good and tweakable HPF.

Would any of these EQ settings on the Sebatron be suitable for HPF ?
Old 13th April 2009
Gear Maniac

Sebs have a very useful, though simple lo cut filter. I couldn't imagine comparing it to an ART Pre. My Sebs are right at home with my Neve, API, Giltronics & Lavry pres heh
Old 13th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassie12 View Post
Sebs have a very useful, though simple lo cut filter. I couldn't imagine comparing it to an ART Pre. My Sebs are right at home with my Neve, API, Giltronics & Lavry pres heh
What setting do you use for the low cut filter on the Seb?
Old 13th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
No but i used to have a seb vmp 4k and it wasd a sweet pre, i.

I have a sebatron vmp 4000-is a classy pre. Can thicken signals using eq/pads and has soul and depth.

Even with air eq is darkish - which in my world is good. Awesome on vocals/drums (snare/room mikes) as it is quick, punchy and thick.

Just finished a session- testing gear for vocalist- using tube LDC's (pearlman tm1 and Beez Neez James) - and tested ADL 600, Pacifica and the Sebatron VMP 4000. The Seb is getting the guernsey- on this vocalist brought out the lower gutteral edges and had depth and soul- is a jazz blues french style- so I want a 3D vintage depth- not modern bright thin.

The Pacifica had more air, but was generally brighter and 2D. ADL has more 3D compared to Pacifica -but too glassy a sheen when combined with bright vocalist and tube mikes.

Sorry for long post- guess I am saying the Sebatron vmp 4000 is awesome bit of kit that is a tool that belongs in the big boys tool kits, and will get the gig even against big boys when the situation calls for it.

Definately not low end gear at all- a musical soulful pre.

GJ
Newcastle./OZ
Old 13th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
The setting that says lo cut thumbsup

Anyway, the Sebatron can have a euphonic sound - big, pillowy, and sweet. It can take the edge off of a bright mic - or add some edge with the simple but effective EQ.

The pad doesn't function purely as a pad. It performs that function but also has a clarifying effect......the more pad the cleaner, less big, less pillowy, less euphonic it sounds.

With the pad and EQ settings, not to mention daisy chaining the preamps, it really is a versatile preamp. It's got what you want in a tube preamp, without being dark or gritty at all (although you can really push it).

While I'm not a gear snob and wouldn't say the ART sounds bad, I don't think it's in the same league. The difference is sort of like ice-milk vs the most delicious vanilla ice cream. Both can be enjoyable, but they are very different.
Old 13th April 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
You'll see a switch marked 'lo cut'

Art MPA Gold vs Sebatron VMP-2000e?-seb-lo-cut.jpg

If you can get to London I've got a collection only ebay auction ending on one tonight 13/04/09
Old 13th April 2009
Lives for gear

Unfortunately the Seb is no longer an option. The one I was watching has shot up in price and is out of my range!

Thanks for all the info on this!
Old 13th April 2009
Gear Addict

Are you sure? As of 17:25 it's only showing £255 which is about a quarter of it's new price (which is pretty good value to begin with). Maybe there's another Seb seller...

Either way, these Sebs are high end pres and the only reason I'm selling is to strip things down, have less options and hopefully focus more on the music. If you think you like tube pres, maybe in the market for an Avalon 737 etc, I'd definitely put this high on your list of auditions.
Old 13th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think you're thinking of the other cheaper Art preamps. The MPA is not starved like those others are. The tubes in the MPA "get the full juice". I still would imagine that the Seb would sound better (I haven't used one), however, with NOS tubes, my MPA actually sounds pretty damn good.
Old 13th April 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
I think you're thinking of the other cheaper Art preamps. The MPA is not starved like those others are. The tubes in the MPA "get the full juice". I still would imagine that the Seb would sound better (I haven't used one), however, with NOS tubes, my MPA actually sounds pretty damn good.
What brand of NOS are you using in your MPA? Have you ever compared different tubes?
Old 13th April 2009
The sebatron is darker, and my Art With Telefunkens is bright but in a smooth way. I like my MPA more because I do RNB/Hip-Hop. I think the sebatron would be a better option for Rock.
Old 13th April 2009
Lives for gear

Easy choice....SEBATRON. Not even close. If the deal escaped you, save some more money. It's an obvious upgrade and very much worth it. Your ears will thank you.
Old 13th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
What brand of NOS are you using in your MPA? Have you ever compared different tubes?
I have a NOS Telefunken in one channel and a new model Tung Sol in the other. The Tung Sol definitely sounds better than the stock tubes but it's not as nice as the Telefunken. I plan on getting another NOS tube in the future. Talk to Bowie here on GS. He knows his **** and can help you pick out the kind of tubes you want.
Old 13th April 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
I have a NOS Telefunken in one channel and a new model Tung Sol in the other. The Tung Sol definitely sounds better than the stock tubes but it's not as nice as the Telefunken. I plan on getting another NOS tube in the future. Talk to Bowie here on GS. He knows his **** and can help you pick out the kind of tubes you want.
Thanks. already trading emails with Bowie. Leaning toward the Telefunken, Amperex or RCA Black plate tubes. (Since I have NOS Mullards coming in the MPA Gold to begin with) heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search