The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
westlake bbsm 4
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

westlake bbsm 4

I'm looking for a new pair of nearfields and a friend has a pair of westlake bbsm 4's for sale. my current monitors are tannoy pbm 6.5's.
the westlakes have two 4" drivers in each cabinet...my question is how comparable are a pair of 4" drivers to a single 6"?
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

I used to love these monitors back in the late 80's/early 90's. They sounded similar in tone to the Urei 809's that people in Miami loved so much. Lower bottom than any of the standard 6" single woofer stuff - nice balance of high/mid/low.

Take this with a grain of salt because it's been 15 years or so since I last heard them.
Old 24th July 2005
Here for the gear

As far as driver area goes (which is a main factor in bass response), the 6in has about 28 sq in whereas 2 4in drivers will cover about 24 sq in.

Though you have multiple voice coils moving air, so that may very well account for any difference through the additional power they can handle.

Another thing to keep in mind is that tuning has a lot to do with low end response - your tannoys are probably tuned at around 50hz. Smaller drivers will have a more difficult time with frequencies below that no matter how the enclosure is tuned though - something to consider if sub-bass is something you're concerned about hearing.

though having never heard either system, i'm not sure how accurate I am...

(BTW, how much would you be selling the tannoys for? I'm in the area and might be interested.)
Old 25th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by combover
(BTW, how much would you be selling the tannoys for? I'm in the area and might be interested.)
thanks for the info.

I'm going to hold on to the tannoys. I do have a pair of jbl 4430's for sale though.
Old 25th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by combover
Another thing to keep in mind is that tuning has a lot to do with low end response - your tannoys are probably tuned at around 50hz. Smaller drivers will have a more difficult time with frequencies below that no matter how the enclosure is tuned though - something to consider if sub-bass is something you're concerned about hearing.
Not to split hairs, but the correlation between driver diameter & low frequency cutoff is not entirely accurate. It's quite possible to tune box resonance below 50Hz & get low frequency extension from a tiny driver. What you don't (or rarely) get from a single 4" woofer is enough SPL to make that low end usable. All things being equal (which they never are), the only difference between a 6" driver & a 4" driver is the larger speaker will move more air...which means it will play louder, not lower.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search