The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Low budget AD/DA
Old 23rd July 2005
Gear Head

Low budget AD/DA

I'm tryin' to decide what AD/DA converter should I get for low budget. I saw some solutions from known and unknown manufacturers and I can't decide.

I'll try to be budget wise so Apogees and all other high end stuff is out of my radar. I need 3 eight channel units for start, and I hope in a year or so I'll dump 'em one by one and get into the Apogee world. But this is for a start, just to begin with something. I'm building studio so I have a lot of investments right now. I have to connect my desk somehow, but lack cash.

Anyway, here are the units I've found so far (click for links):

Alesis AI-3

Behringer ADA8000

Marian ADCON

They are all in that "below $500" category I hope to stay in.
If you know any other unit in that price range, add it to this list.

Any suggestions on which ones I should get? Based on the sound not just the specs, preferably!

Thanks!
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

You must really like that Alesis, because All your links lead to the AI-3!
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

Don't forget the Tango 24.
Old 23rd July 2005
A used Frontier Design Tango 24.
Old 24th July 2005
Jai guru deva om

The Creamware A16 Ultra is a great unit for the money. Bring your own ADAT card, or get the Creamware Scope card for 96k operation.

War
Old 24th July 2005
Gear Nut

Lucid A/D 9624 can't be beat for the $$$ IMO
Old 25th July 2005
Lives for gear

ada8000 aint bad on the cheep as long as you clock it to a decent clock, the internal clock sucks. it uses alesis converters and much cheeper than the AI3 and has pres, but the pres arnt very good. what do you plan to run into it
Old 25th July 2005
Lives for gear

Try not to get 3x 8 really cheap AD/DA's, because you will be fighting their sound.. Your budget is around $500 per 8ch unit, so totalling $1500, right ?
For that amount of money you can buy an Alesis HD24 - 24 channels of AD or DA and get a recorder for free

You can then always upgrade to the XR version and then send it to audioupgrades to make the convertors sound even better.

Only backdraw is the HD24 can do 24 channels at once maximum, either AD or DA (in pairs of two).

Herwig

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search