The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Need help mixing elec. guitars!!
Old 22nd July 2005
Lives for gear

Need help mixing elec. guitars!!

Okay, please excuse the rudimentary nature of this question, but I'm desperately seeking help on mixing electric guitars.

In short, I have always double tracked guitars on separate mono tracks and hard panned them L/R for what I thought was a nice stereo effect. These are two separately recorded performances playing the exact same part, with the exception of some harmonized parts throughout the song.

However, in trying to pan the tracks closer inward, I notice that the sound implodes with phase cancellation as the frequencies start cancelling each other out!!??!!?? I have Waves PAZ analyzer, and oddly enough, it graphically shows less phase cancellation as I move inward, not outward as my ears are telling me.

Seeing as how many many recordings feature two guitarists and presumably at least two guitar tracks, how do you generally pan and how do you avoid the aforementioned phase cancellation?

Please help as I feel like I'm back to square one here!!!
Old 22nd July 2005
Gear Head

I generally pan guitars pretty hard, for as you say a nice stereo effect. Some FX might help, like delay, or even some light flanging.
Old 24th July 2005
Here for the gear

I may be wrong on this, but there may still be lots of phase cancellation on it when it's panned hard l/r, it's just not cancelling through the speakers b/c only one signal is coming through each speaker. The way that i've learned to know when that happens is it sounds like the sound is trying to push it's way in one ear and out the other. it's a wierd feeling. But then as u start panning them together more, the sounds just wouldn't come out of the speaker cause they would be phase cancelling there. Did you try the polarity switch (if u have one)? I could be completely wrong, but let me know what you find out.
Old 25th July 2005
Lives for gear

it will show more cancellation if you pan hard ... all the time !
if you pan it hard L + R signal is just on the L + R . if you decrease the panning ...
youll get the signal on both speakers . if its all panned L + R , you gonna have 2 mono sides ( which can be cool if wanted as well ) .

how did u record the gits ?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search